The Shed Thread

StrokerBoy

Seeing as i don't have my own shed, will the shed i work in be okay?.

:)

dumper3.jpg

I've never seen chicken strips that big before !!!!

I'll bet the acceleration tears your hair off :):thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

So - the new house is getting started soon.

More importantly, however, the Garage is going up first.

The crucial clincher with the girlfriend was a negotiated 1130 square footage downstairs, and a further 570 square foot upstairs; with a complete veto on any gardening equipment or any of that shit.

It'll be storing an Austin Healey, the Subaru and me trusty bikes.

Anyone any novel ideas for work benching, storage or anything that they would consider a "must have" for their dream garage...?

-John

EDIT:

Plans added

imgs.jpg

img0001j.jpg

Edited by DocJohn

Anyone any novel ideas for work benching, storage or anything that they would consider a "must have" for their dream garage...?

If you are starting from scratch, how about a bike lift sunk into the garage floor, so that it sits flush in stealth mode (and you don't trip over it) until you actually want to lift the bike on it. Proper Batcave!

If you are starting from scratch, how about a bike lift sunk into the garage floor, so that it sits flush in stealth mode (and you don't trip over it) until you actually want to lift the bike on it. Proper Batcave!

I was looking at "permanent" bike lifts but that, my man, is fucking genius.

Done.

-John

:icon_salut:

EDIT:- in fact, it's such a good suggestion, it deserves a Virtual Cookie.

cookie-bite-web.jpg

Enjoy!

Edited by DocJohn

I wont work stand in mine like the ones used in racing paddocks. Not the lift kind, but the ones you roll the bike up onto. A bathroom would be nice too. But my dream garage would have more then just cool stuff in it. I want to be able to see into it form my house, kind of like Tony Starks in the Iron man movie, but visible from the living room instead of just the stair way. And I want it to look like a cross between a race team shop and a Mac store. Probably cause i would use it at my office too.

Power and lighting! Sounds bloody obvious, but it's so easy done in a half arsed manner. Think mega hard about how many power points you need, then add at least 50% on top of that. Extension cables and multi plugs are untidy and dangerous. Then get loads of lighting so you can work at all times of day throughout the year. Think F1/MotoGP factory standards.....

Oh, and storage...loads of storage so you don't end up tripping over shit - the minute you start piling stuff up, things from other places start creeping in (kids push-bikes etc). You'll also need loads of jam jars with odd nails and screws and a stick for stirring paint with. Unless you're not a real man that is...?

my dream garage always has a huge mirror on the rear wall. It works to make the space look bigger than it actually is

For when you're sitting on your R1 'dreaming of 170rwhp' and practicing your 'speed pout ' :icon_salut:

Mark

First on the list to start with a PC so you can set you're bikes up ..........a settee to sit on while you're deciding how to use the PC to set them up in the first place............... a carpet to keep you're little toes warm when you get the urge to move from the settee .........................and not forgetting a kettle to make us all a brew when we come round and laugh at you trying to set them up. :icon_salut: oh! don't forget the bed for when you're kicked out of the house. :)

Power and lighting! Sounds bloody obvious, but it's so easy done in a half arsed manner.

Already done.

I'm not sure where you live, but i'll bet you'll be able to see the glare on the horizon from your house!

:icon_salut:

-John

Start sniffing around the smaller race tuners who are struggling now, so when the administrators go in you can bag a Dyno cheap.

Cruel yes, and maybe a little ruthless, but hey - you'd have a fucking Dyno in your garage. :icon_salut:

Other than that I can heartily recommend an inspection pit. Just what is needed to get under the Healey with the Waxoil gun.

(Daves Europa, over its inspection pit on Sunday...)

3307059387_9060431db4_b.jpg

My check list for dream garage is as follows.

A pit

2 bikelifts

A bog

Enough lights to get a sun tan

Electric door/shutter

heater

sound system

TV

Sofa

Fridge

Big fuck off tool chest full of tools

One of those de-greasing things

A block and Tackle that moves along an rsj

A telephone

Clear roof panels to let daylight in

A converted loft/roofspace just to store "stuff"

Compressed air terminals

A jet wash

A big fuck off work bench with grinders, drills and other really big power tools

A plastic tiled floor

I don't think about this much at all honest

what about a rolling beam crane type thingy?

thats not a thought to have after the building starts.

doesn't need to be terribly heavy duty, but it must be electronic.

whats planned for the upper floor bit?

A toilet might be an idea, the wife will go mental if you trapse oil in the new house each time you need to pee.

It might be useful to plumb in some airline hoses, compressors are not just for christmas! having handy airline unions is a joy.

Water as in outside tap/hose thingy. Hot and cold tho so you can wash ya mitts, ooh latex glove dispenser :eusa_think:

I'd have sky tv in my dream garage so I could watch and tinker, leaving the wife to watch psychic tv and all that bollocks!

First aid kit :eusa_dance:

Consider velux roof lights coz natural light is essential if you're spraying or rubbing down :(

I would also think about a bike door so you can get bike out without moving the cars around. I haven't studied the plan properly so scuse me if you already got that.

Plenty of shelves (like Dexion) powerpoints and a kettle/ fridge kitchen!

Bloody hell if I had all that in my workshop I'd be living in there! HHmmmm :eusa_think: Bed?

First aid kit :(

I must post up a picture of the comedy first aid kit I have in my shed - it's pre-second world war era, found in a disused cinema my dad owns.

It even has Cocaine in it from the days when it was used to treat nose-bleeds! :eusa_think:

Quality!

-John

I must post up a picture of the comedy first aid kit I have in my shed - it's pre-second world war era, found in a disused cinema my dad owns.

It even has Cocaine in it from the days when it was used to treat nose-bleeds! :(

Quality!

-John

Really? I really suffer with nose bleeds, even though it's been quartarised twice...hmm, I'll suggest this next!

As for garages, I really, really would be happy living in this: http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12234 Please.

There is an old barn up the road...I keep dreaming of the ground floor for machine tools/bikes/a car pit, then have affectively a big flat above it. With a glass floor in the living space -fuck the TV, watch the bikes sleeping!

Spray booth,

Parts washer,

Pillar drill,

Bench Grinder/polisher.

Light box on a rail so you can drag it from one end of the room to the other, and it needs to be on cords that allow you to pull it down, or raise it up.

You need a dirty bench, checking bench, and a clean bench.

Paper roll towel dispensers.

Ash trays.

Vent Axias.

A sealable garage door, there's nothing worse than trying to do something with a gale force 7 blowing into the small of your back where your shirt has risen up exposing your Dagenham cleavage.

Dexion shelving is a must, find a business thats closing down to get it cheap. A compressor is great but if you are building from scratch try and make a small extension to put it in as they are bloody noisy.

John ... I notice on the plan drawing ... the entrance door for " Garden Equipment" .shock.gif

I would get yourself a wee wooden garden shed for all that stuff ... It really is amazing how that stuff gets in the way and begins to take over. Don't let anything in the garage that is not bike/car related.

Edit: Ignore this bit .. I did not register the " with a complete veto on any gardening equipment or any of that shit" bit.

Get as many sockets in as you can ... you can never have too many.

Wall mounted kitchen cabinets are great for storage . They hold quite a bit of weight , they look neat and tidy and they are high enough up out of the way to maintain the maximum amount of floor space ... they don't get in the way of the car either , unlike free standing metal/plastic shelving.

gsxgarage045.jpg

A sink is a must. Hot water would be nice.

As for a workbench . Build your own. You can tailor it to the space you have available. After searching for a sturdy bench for ages ... I decided that I could do better myself .. so using 4" x 4" fence posts and a kitchen work top ... I knocked up this. I am a woodwork retard .. but this was easy. A wee sand down smooth and a blob of paint .. and bobs your uncle. Most importantly it is rock solid. Oh ... and it was cheap.

gsxgarage048.jpg

Edited by SexMachine