Because fukkit.

hawkati

34 minutes ago, hawkati said:

Top rear mounts are yet to happen - the rear bottom mount was very straightforward thankfully since that lined the front sprocket up correctly,  so everything had to pivot from there. Just a task of yoyoing the engine up & down countless times while shaving the frame. Hence the desire to double plate the front mounts with 3mn plate in & outside the dropped down part of the frame.

Still got to do the other side which will have 4 bolts , then I'll look at the rear tops.

Right now my only real worry is getting the carbs in without interference- if they don't fit I shall cry and kick the cat. 

Cheers for the airbox offer! I've two standard cbr400 & 600 boxes so I shall offer them up and see if either are any good....watch this space... 

The carbs, are a bit tight, but you should be ok tbh, as if the sprockets lined up OK, mine is obviously similar, so I can't see any issue, other than depending on how far back the motor sits, as obviously the airbox only has so much room under the tank.  I can't say I know the f1 600 airbox, but the 400 one with just the Ali plate screwed into the airbox base and  to hold the rubber mounts, worked well enough on Bob Farnhams old dyno in the late 90s, with added dj kit when they did the set up, before I got hold of it.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers for the info - muchly appreciated as I'm winging my way through this. Created much swarf last night drilling holes for left side mounting plates and I'll cut the shape out & fit on Saturday. Yeehaa!

2021-03-12_08-08-39

• Like 1

That's more or less there. I'll clean it up by paint or polish but only when I'm sure engine plates have the damn thing in exactly the right position. 

2021-03-14_07-00-31

• Like 1

Post covid jab and because it was a luvverly sunny day I sank my teeth into fitting another engine mount. Ruff & ready but all that matters right now is that it can hold the engine in place. Result.

2021-03-17_07-17-51

• Like 5

Progress. Front two mounts sorted, rear top mount fkkn solid.

20210323_160638

Onwards with the metal - fun & games digging out the one reluctant header gasket but doneded and headers bunged on. 

20210323_175515

While I was there I eyed up the knacked forks - these are the cbr600f3 forks I swapped from the hawk and methinks a full makeover is very necessary. I've got oil & seals, arp. 

20210323_132751

Then it's a rear end frenzy, phnarr - 2mm needed taking off the left side inside of the frame for the chain to clear and tomorrow (maybe not tomorrow) I need to shave a similar amount off the left wheel spacer to get the wheel absolutely dead centre. 

Anyway, progress is happening. I happy.

• Like 3

Behold the majesty of my new rubber and wail and gnash for I am the tyre messiah!

20210324_181445

Wheel spacer narrowed so thf tyre is central- that was the good bit. The bad is I tried to reinforce rear top engine mount on the left side & snapped am allen bolt. Fack. I'll sort it at the weekend...

• Like 2

What size rim is in that gullarm swing arm and why wasn't the wheel lined up centrally before as its a rather important peice of a handling  jigsaw, Shirley?   

I also take it your not running a 520 chain like mine, though I think the fact it sounds like themotor is across left a fraction more, is the reason why you managed to get the head to somehow squeeze in there....  Looks good and on target mate 👍

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, firebeast said:

What size rim is in that gullarm swing arm and why wasn't the wheel lined up centrally before as its a rather important peice of a handling  jigsaw, Shirley?   

I also take it your not running a 520 chain like mine, though I think the fact it sounds like themotor is across left a fraction more, is the reason why you managed to get the head to somehow squeeze in there....  Looks good and on target mate 👍

Motor is as central as it gets with shaving equally off the two frame down spars. Wheel is a 5 inch blade thing ( with the flakiest paint in existence - loads just fell off when changing the tyre)  - i'd machined the sprocket carrier down about 12 mm to give clearance clarance on the left side but i hadn't trimmed the wheel spacer - 2mm off and it's good & aligned correctly now. Chain is a ginormous 630 thingit as bike has standard sprockets but i may well lose that later after ldd and budget constraints are over. Sofa sogood, but the crucial thing for me now is getting the motor running  - i've a clear weekend & a couple more days off next week so i'm looking forward to some real progress. This ( famous last words) won't be a last minute fukkup.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hawkati said:

Motor is as central as it gets with shaving equally off the two frame down spars. Wheel is a 5 inch blade thing ( with the flakiest paint in existence - loads just fell off when changing the tyre)  - i'd machined the sprocket carrier down about 12 mm to give clearance clarance on the left side but i hadn't trimmed the wheel spacer - 2mm off and it's good & aligned correctly now. Chain is a ginormous 630 thingit as bike has standard sprockets but i may well lose that later after ldd and budget constraints are over. Sofa sogood, but the crucial thing for me now is getting the motor running  - i've a clear weekend & a couple more days off next week so i'm looking forward to some real progress. This ( famous last words) won't be a last minute fukkup.

So I presume chain clearance to the tyre is kinda tight, but OK? 😏

Guess the next thing is seeing how close the carbs are on fit.. 👍

21 minutes ago, firebeast said:

So I presume chain clearance to the tyre is kinda tight, but OK? 😏

Guess the next thing is seeing how close the carbs are on fit.. 👍

....aaaand that's why i have a selection of hammers...:ph34r:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, hawkati said:

....aaaand that's why i have a selection of hammers...:ph34r:

Fingers etc crossed it all fits smoothly then 🙏 

It's lucky that lot is mostly Ali rather than steel, what with hammers and petrol in the mix 🤔

• Haha 1

Absolutely no work done on the bike today but just been doing some clearing of the living room. It's become a sorting depot for all the sound system & bike shite I've been selling & buying. 

Therefore blade ignition coils, airbox & keys/fuel cap....and some random sticker. Also found were pair of discs for the 996, hagon shock for the hawk and 7 rattlecans for that perfect finish. 

20210327_193521

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hawkati said:

Absolutely no work done on the bike today but just been doing some clearing of the living room. It's become a sorting depot for all the sound system & bike shite I've been selling & buying. 

Therefore blade ignition coils, airbox & keys/fuel cap....and some random sticker. Also found were pair of discs for the 996, hagon shock for the hawk and 7 rattlecans for that perfect finish. 

20210327_193521

No fookin way is that airbox fitting under the tri arm tank,, unless you reduce the amount of fuel it stores by a third or half on the underside with one of your 'selective' tools mate 😉

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, firebeast said:

No fookin way is that airbox fitting under the tri arm tank,, unless you reduce the amount of fuel it stores by a third or half on the underside with one of your 'selective' tools mate 😉

True - I'm plotting to just use the underside so it seats onto the csrbs then making something out of a cornflakes packet...😛

8 hours ago, hawkati said:

True - I'm plotting to just use the underside so it seats onto the csrbs then making something out of a cornflakes packet...😛

The simple way James, if you have the tri arm airbox, you just get an Ali plate, which, like the original 400 and f1 600, (I think the f1 is same idea,) the airbox screws into a casting on the carbs to seal. So all you do is cut out 4 holes of the correct size and distances, then drill out to allow it to screw onto a 400 airbox, then fit the airbox to carb rubber mounts in it.. I can dig mine out and send a photo if you want?

The f1 600 airbox may work, I don't remember the tank shape tbh, but its partly about the engine/carb positioning.. If they are off too much and very tight on one side, you won't get the blade airbox section to fit in anyway possibly and it may make anything awkward as you go  upwards towards the tank.. You don't need the blade airbox for it to run sweet, trust me on that though..  One trick for re using honda dirty air filters, cut the element out, buy some race foam off ebay cheap and after cutting it to a snug fit, use araldite to glue it in.. Works well for me including on my old ntv, ala bros airbox 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, firebeast said:

The simple way James, if you have the tri arm airbox, you just get an Ali plate, which, like the original 400 and f1 600, (I think the f1 is same idea,) the airbox screws into a casting on the carbs to seal. So all you do is cut out 4 holes of the correct size and distances, then drill out to allow it to screw onto a 400 airbox, then fit the airbox to carb rubber mounts in it.. I can dig mine out and send a photo if you want?

The f1 600 airbox may work, I don't remember the tank shape tbh, but its partly about the engine/carb positioning.. If they are off too much and very tight on one side, you won't get the blade airbox section to fit in anyway possibly and it may make anything awkward as you go  upwards towards the tank.. You don't need the blade airbox for it to run sweet, trust me on that though..  One trick for re using honda dirty air filters, cut the element out, buy some race foam off ebay cheap and after cutting it to a snug fit, use araldite to glue it in.. Works well for me including on my old ntv, ala bros airbox 😉

Cheers - a pic would be good! I've got cbr400 & 600 airboxes as well so a bit of juggling should come up with something,  er, airtight. We'll, not actually airtight but you know what I mean!😂

29 minutes ago, hawkati said:

Cheers - a pic would be good! I've got cbr400 & 600 airboxes as well so a bit of juggling should come up with something,  er, airtight. We'll, not actually airtight but you know what I mean!😂

Idea,, ,maybe, , Get the carbs pushed on to assess their position,, put the 400 box roughly on top and try the tank.. To save you some time, i can send the plate up with the rubbers in, will send a photo beforehand, after I get hold of it,, as its not getting any use as you know 🤣, so your welcome to just use it and save a bit of time, which allows you to focus on getting any other bits sorted out..

BTW, what zorst do you have for the noisy bit? 

That would be most welcome! 

I'm not fitting the carbs just yet - absolute full on cleaning frenzy to make damn sure no swarf or ghastly metal bits get anywhere near the carbs, but soon, very soon.

The zorst I've got is a vile stubby thing but it cost £7 from ebay. Ldd has a £300 budget excepting brakes & tyres hence new rubber & pads, but despite offsetting by selling off surplus bits I'm over budget. Once the charity event is done I may well get more indulgent but I've got to deal with what I've got atm. Dang!😀

16 minutes ago, hawkati said:

That would be most welcome! 

I'm not fitting the carbs just yet - absolute full on cleaning frenzy to make damn sure no swarf or ghastly metal bits get anywhere near the carbs, but soon, very soon.

The zorst I've got is a vile stubby thing but it cost £7 from ebay. Ldd has a £300 budget excepting brakes & tyres hence new rubber & pads, but despite offsetting by selling off surplus bits I'm over budget. Once the charity event is done I may well get more indulgent but I've got to deal with what I've got atm. Dang!😀

OK, I will dig it out soonish, just let me know when you've confirmed it's all good and will sort it out.. As for the zorst, I may, not promising( as I haven't been through dark corners of the garage in a long while) , have something a bit ratty but more normal length, but not too long for the bike, your welcome to try, which would maybe need the mounting bit drilling /tapping holes to suit the flange position.. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gix said:

:sleeping::sleeping:...cmmooonnnn..is it running yet? time is ticking on. Long weekend coming up, we expect it finished :pokeit:

Long weekend for who? I've got Sunday off, that's it. Wasted today slinging coilovers on the mx5 so I can sling it through mot. That'll fuck the gent off who complained about it being parked in a lay-by opposite my house.

Anyway, hammers deployed soon to fit carbs, then wiring loom frenzy. It's getting closer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A game of three halves this arvy, swapping between tasks so I didn't break. 

1)filing 2mm off frame to give chain clearance. 

2)taking off the really nice shiney stainless steel header pipes since there was no way I could bend them to fit proper like, and therefore much harpic & rotary wire brush frenzy on the sadly much poorer condition replacement. At least I'll make money selling the first one. Too pitted so on with the techcote black high temp paint.

3) checking carbs fitment. I'm certain they will fit, but not from above. I'll have to drop the engine yet abloodygain, mount carbs and ratchet the whole lot up into place. 

20210408_185848

20210408_154325

20210408_184333

• Like 3

What's the problem with the carbs just dropping on?? 

I won't ask why you didn't wrap some Cling film or similar around the chain before filing the frame away to save you trying to clean it at a later date ... 🤔

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, firebeast said:

What's the problem with the carbs just dropping on?? 

I won't ask why you didn't wrap some Cling film or similar around the chain before filing the frame away to save you trying to clean it at a later date ... 🤔

Chain's getting a good rinsing with gt85 anyway then a scotoiler fitted - grease is just a vile filth magnet so I effectively rinse new chains before a wheel gets turned.

Been going at carbs this arvy - they were never ever going to drop in from above so I dropped the engine, fitted carbs then gently shaved a bit from the frame and levered engine up. Within about 1/2 mm of the correct position for engine mounts even with the throttle position sensor in place,  but it's got dark & raining so supper frenzy now!😛

20210409_184421

• Like 2

Gently shaved 🤔😂

Surprised you haven't gently dremel'd the old 400 thermostat mount of the inside of the  frame to save a bit of weight tbh 😏

Edited by firebeast
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, firebeast said:

Gently shaved 🤔😂

Surprised you haven't gently dremel'd the old 400 thermostat mount of the inside of the  frame to save a bit of weight tbh 😏

I'm sure I'll find a use for it somehow!😛

Right, that'll do for the day. Engine back in frame,  carbs in correctly,  annoying exhaust fitted and a wash to get rid of the swarf and filings. Maybe moar tomorrow....erk.

20210412_190736

• Like 6

9 hours ago, hawkati said:

Right, that'll do for the day. Engine back in frame,  carbs in correctly,  annoying exhaust fitted and a wash to get rid of the swarf and filings. Maybe moar tomorrow....erk.

20210412_190736

James, there are stickers on your tyres. They can't be new, can they? 

Edited by jaycee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, jaycee said:

James, there are stickers on your tyres. They can't be new can they? 

Yes. Yes they are. Dunlop Roadside 2's - they were £169 a pair and should last the fettling of the bike (including Oulton park) ldd & beyond....yay!😛

• Like 1

What size is that rear to squeeze in the gull swingarm,, I know what you ran, but as its a different mota and wide chain I am curious how many mm between chain and tyre edge.. 😉

Think that new red exhaust hangar may get in the way of your foot a bit btw,, 👀

Edited by firebeast
  • Haha 1