Because fukkit.

hawkati

1 hour ago, hawkati said:

right - that was very enlightening. I'd intended to literally only do two sighting laps on the bike since it's the grim equivilant of "this is the deep end, by the way can you swwim?" Sploooosh. 

Stayed out on track. Three sessions. Lots of minor issues and a couple of major ones. 

Good stuff.

1) it handles pretty well - i'd read & reread loads about engine placement and the front sprocket is more or less spot on with the cylinder heads dipped a slight amount compared to a standard blade. Steers neutrally but tightens the line slightly as the throttle gets wound on. Just what i wanted. I can take my hands off the bars at 90 and it doesn't veer or tankslap. Goody

2) nothing touches down - rearsets and reasonably tucked in zorst = lean. Got it to the edge of rear tyre so i are happy.

3) nothing fell off. Well, almost nothing. More of that in a bit

4) despite no airbox the bike dragged itself through a fluffy midrange and revved quite well. Pulls damn hard up to 4.5k

Less than good stuff

1) throttle cable slack - despite wound out there's still a fair amount of movement of throttle control before the carbs open. Probably need a custom cable. 

2) annoying gear lever - too high. If i lower it then it snags the link rod and doesn't work so every upochange is an exaggerated movement. Meh. I'll find a way of tucking it in neater. 

3) brakes - straight off my hawk commuter that probably weighs 50lbs less. Just not good enough, they work but a real handful is needed. Suffice to say the first time i went out on the 996 i near went over the bars the first time i braked. 

4) comedy and alarming in equal measure, on session two after a few laps the throttle stuck wide open going into charlies. Awesome and eeeeeek! Pottered round with the front brake on then got off asap. I'd wedged a sponge pad covered in insulation tape under the tank then tied it down with a huge cable tie - nope, it shifted, got into an open carb and wedged itself there. Narsty. 

5) the obvious fuelling issue. Thanks to @firebeast i now have a decent airbox that (once ignition coils are relocated or replaced by stick coils, should fit in a snug way. Fingers crossed thos things and another dyno session or two will tweak it in the right direction. 

It's getting there - i thoroughly enjoyed riding it, and now there's no time pressure then i hope to get it fine tuned (literally) so it becomes a well behaved trackbike. The potential is great and i'm thoroughly enjoying using it. 

20210702_084859

How did it do on the noise tests with the scouring pads tucked gently away? 😂

16 minutes ago, firebeast said:

How did it do on the noise tests with the scouring pads tucked gently away? 😂

ahem....105....erk. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hawkati said:

ahem....105....erk. 

So that's a different 'quieter' zorst added to the list then 🤔

Though saying that,mayhe mechanical noise was a fair bit of it,, you didn't accidentally leave one of those infamous hammers in there to rattle around did you? 😉

55 minutes ago, firebeast said:

So that's a different 'quieter' zorst added to the list then 🤔

Though saying that,mayhe mechanical noise was a fair bit of it,, you didn't accidentally leave one of those infamous hammers in there to rattle around did you? 😉

now, where did i leave sister sledge...

On 6/20/2021 at 8:40 PM, hawkati said:

...if you think that bike is an armchair,  you should see the BMW, but there's mitigating circumstances for that as well...🤪

Yes there were mitigating circumcisions but in all honesty it was a brilliant tool for the job so have the real angel / devel on shoulder syndrome going on in my head as the Beemer was the perfect tool for the job and I only used it as the Turdpot wasn't safe to run that distance so it was the right choice.  But doing it properly I did not and for that I feel bad.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Herr V. said:

Yes there were mitigating circumcisions but in all honesty it was a brilliant tool for the job so have the real angel / devel on shoulder syndrome going on in my head as the Beemer was the perfect tool for the job and I only used it as the Turdpot wasn't safe to run that distance so it was the right choice.  But doing it properly I did not and for that I feel bad.  

Don't you dare feel bad - you put tons of effort into trying to get the turdpot sorted and that's punishment enough 😂😂😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hawkati said:

Don't you dare feel bad - you put tons of effort into trying to get the turdpot sorted and that's punishment enough 😂😂😂

Not arguing with that, I seriously tried and I knew if I rode it I would be stupid to do so as it wasn't safe.

So am starting early on sorting the Turdpot as I have @EXUPDEL envy with a CBR 6 so a double pronged attack.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herr V. said:

Not arguing with that, I seriously tried and I knew if I rode it I would be stupid to do so as it wasn't safe.

So am starting early on sorting the Turdpot as I have @EXUPDEL envy with a CBR 6 so a double pronged attack.

Well if I do this damn event again I owe it to myself and everyone else to do it on unklefukker. It's going to become an utter gent of a trackbike weapon in the meantime...more work on it soon once work lets up a bit.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, hawkati said:

Well if I do this damn event again I owe it to myself and everyone else to do it on unklefukker. It's going to become an utter gent of a trackbike weapon in the meantime...more work on it soon once work lets up a bit.

Good man! 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, hawkati said:

Well if I do this damn event again……

We all know there’s no “if”, you beautiful lunatic.

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Sidkinky said:

We all know there’s no “if”, you beautiful lunatic.

Jaysus.....it's slowly breaking me....😱

3 hours ago, hawkati said:

Jaysus.....it's slowly breaking me....😱

How's your neck? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IforB said:

How's your neck? 

Fukkered. Some strange correlation between my shape and size and the screen of the viffer meant that I did a noddydog impersonation for 1000 miles. Therefore neck muscles almost non existent. Wibble. 

Sports physio helena sorted me for a few days but I'm fukkered again. Titting around at cadwell probably didn't help😂

Ah well, nevermind eh?

9 minutes ago, hawkati said:

Fukkered. 

Surely less Fukkered than it would be using the 996?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, EXUPDEL said:

Surely less Fukkered than it would be using the 996?

on a relative scale of fukkered it's discombobulating rather than actually broken like last time...

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, hawkati said:

Fukkered. Some strange correlation between my shape and size and the screen of the viffer meant that I did a noddydog impersonation for 1000 miles. Therefore neck muscles almost non existent. Wibble. 

Sports physio helena sorted me for a few days but I'm fukkered again. Titting around at cadwell probably didn't help😂

Ah well, nevermind eh?

I hear you on the screen. I tried a flip front version & standard and neither seemed to work well.. The vfr had those little bar risers as well and yet it never felt really comfortable, 

Missus was happy enough back then mind, she fell asleep on the m5 coming back from Wales once🙄 

Edited by firebeast
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Got completely distracted by naomi, rum, gin & soul searching conversations this weekend so absolutely nothing was done with the bike. Wheeled it out to kick the tyres & load it for Donington tomorrow. Let's see how it runs.

Meanwhile it's developed a bizarre patina under the fuel resistant lacquer. I quite like it.

20210920_144743

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hawkati said:

Got completely distracted by naomi, rum, gin & soul searching conversations this weekend so absolutely nothing was done with the bike. Wheeled it out to kick the tyres & load it for Donington tomorrow. Let's see how it runs.

Meanwhile it's developed a bizarre patina under the fuel resistant lacquer. I quite like it.

20210920_144743

It’s now Donington today, how is it going?

1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

It’s now Donington today, how is it going?

Well...I'm here! @lorenzo& I are in novice group for the hell of it so not out yet. The others are offski soon. I shall report progress...😈

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hawkati said:

Well...I'm here! @lorenzo& I are in novice group for the hell of it so not out yet. The others are offski soon. I shall report progress...😈

Or I can fill people in if it goes really wrong and your thumbs get chopped off.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Or I can fill people in if it goes really wrong and your thumbs get chopped off.

Yikes, just read this now,, twas thankfully nowhere near that bad, but still,, madame lorenzo readings anyone ,,  😳 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, firebeast said:

Yikes, just read this now,, twas thankfully nowhere near that bad, but still,, madame lorenzo readings anyone ,,  😳 

I did one session with the unklefukker but my adjusting the gear lever so it had a shorter reach resulted in it clashing with link rod. Cue comedy repeated  downchanges and going into the esses in forth. Got it adjusted alright and I was planning to take it out in the forth session. Just in that first session  I had it leant over further than at cadwell...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hawkati said:

I did one session with the unklefukker but my adjusting the gear lever so it had a shorter reach resulted in it clashing with link rod. Cue comedy repeated  downchanges and going into the esses in forth. Got it adjusted alright and I was planning to take it out in the forth session. Just in that first session  I had it leant over further than at cadwell...

Realise it was just a sesh, but was it running any better, assuming you sorted the coils etc? 

48 minutes ago, firebeast said:

Realise it was just a sesh, but was it running any better, assuming you sorted the coils etc? 

Ah - I think I'd mentioned that I'd not done a thing to it. Was going to on sunday/Monday but we had such a day/night of it Saturday that I completely failed to do anything constructive at all. 

I've let you down, I've let myself down, I've let my blow up doll down...

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, hawkati said:

Ah - I think I'd mentioned that I'd not done a thing to it. Was going to on sunday/Monday but we had such a day/night of it Saturday that I completely failed to do anything constructive at all. 

I've let you down, I've let myself down, I've let my blow up doll down...

Atleast you had a good enough Saturday James,,fuk the bikes, told ya, no worries here,,, if your like me, you will end up trying to work on it again whilst still a bit bust up to kill some time,, trying to move my blade motor about with a snapped clavicle wasn't exactly clever 😏

As for the doll, you haven't done your ribs I gather, so you can get her back to fighting fit a lot quicker than yourself, when it suits you sir. 😜

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, firebeast said:

As for the doll, you haven't done your ribs I gather, so you can get her back to fighting fit a lot quicker than yourself, when it suits you sir. 😜

The doll? Are you referring to the ducati or naomi?😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Wheeled unklefukker out and replaced the cheapo poorly fitting fuel cap with something I randomly found in the stable. Seats much better. Result. 

20211119_161144

• Like 2