Because fukkit.

hawkati

Today has been one of the laziest days in my history but I couldn't just watch a film - I had to attack an exhaust system with solvol autosol for the hell of it. It will be so very shiny one day. Perversely it's a cbr1000rr underseat type exhaust that's stainless steel, weighs very little and will be offset by selling old period cbr 600 muzzy exhaust. Yay.

Speak to me of Cbr Muzzy exhaust.

My mate has just acquired a 400 Aero for a spot of classic racing.......race system is top of the list of items to acquire.....600 one cant be that different........can it??

5 hours ago, grinder said:

Speak to me of Cbr Muzzy exhaust.

My mate has just acquired a 400 Aero for a spot of classic racing.......race system is top of the list of items to acquire.....600 one cant be that different........can it??

I'll bung you some pics once I've cleaned it up - might have an old picture of it fitted previously. Hope it suits you sir?

Ah yesh - here y'are!

2018-12-09_03-12-17

I think that link needs shortening, but that's just me...

Edit- my apologies - just double checked spec from when I bought the bike - vance & hines headers, unknown silencer. I'll find out what that is when I get home, sorry!

Edited by hawkati
Derp
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, grinder said:

I shall put it to my mate.

He's racing an 86 Aero 400 in a classic class this year......assuming they let us play!!! lol 

nicely - wish him all the best. I've got quite a selection of random cbr 400 bits of all ages so gimme a shout if there's anything else he needs? 

Will do.

He's managed to pick up a mint 13000 miles from new bike cheap, new everything after being imported then parked up for 12 years. Runs like a swiss watch. Regs say you cant change hardly anything so i'll find out what we can get away with!

• Like 1

Meanwhile back in the shire after collecting some far more stable stands from the luvverly @rossm , the jigsaw bike gets slung on the stands briefly - all is well. Then for the hell of it, since there's little light & heat for proper fettling I go at the fuel tank to take off a surface layer of rust that's formed. Wire drill attachment first, hence rough finish below. Then scotchbrite wheel and then a good old solvol frenzy. Then I'll find out what lacquer might work on bare steel.

2021-01-03_04-20-04

• Like 4

22 hours ago, hawkati said:

Meanwhile back in the shire after collecting some far more stable stands from the luvverly @rossm , the jigsaw bike gets slung on the stands briefly - all is well. Then for the hell of it, since there's little light & heat for proper fettling I go at the fuel tank to take off a surface layer of rust that's formed. Wire drill attachment first, hence rough finish below. Then scotchbrite wheel and then a good old solvol frenzy. Then I'll find out what lacquer might work on bare steel.

2021-01-03_04-20-04

It's not just what works on bare steel, it's what works on bare steel and is resistant to paint, which means you want an acrylic lacquer probably, certainly something that's got a hardener you add to it, not something that's solvent based, otherwise it'll disappear bit by bit each time you fill up with fuel.

31 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

It's not just what works on bare steel, it's what works on bare steel and is resistant to paint, which means you want an acrylic lacquer probably, certainly something that's got a hardener you add to it, not something that's solvent based, otherwise it'll disappear bit by bit each time you fill up with fuel.

Cheers muchly....

Flickrr is being a bastard today otherwise I'd show the tank as it is now...

....and the engine in the frame in a pure comedy style! 

Titter ye notte! Ah, gwan then. This has a purpose. I can't fit this engine properly until I get busy with a cutter but in the meantime I really can't be arsed with lugging the blade engine around every time I try to do something with aligning it. Therefore by the power of a trolleyjack, a ratchet strap....and a book, I get the engine up and mounted by two bolts. 

Ludicrously low, it'll do for just shifting bike in and out to do work until I go nuts with an angle grinder and fit it properly. 

2021-01-04_05-04-54

2021-01-04_05-07-25

2021-01-04_05-07-55

...and I had a bit of a play with a scotchbrite rotary wheel, therefore the fuel tank is shinier. Yay.

2021-01-04_05-08-24

• Like 4

Dare we ask what the sledgehammer is for?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, EXUPDEL said:

Dare we ask what the sledgehammer is 

6 minutes ago, hawkati said:

Oh, and for reinforcing stereotypes...

This.

• Thanks 1

Tank's come up nicely James, engine may need some more tweaking though 🤣

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of progress - it's been so shite & cold lately that I've done the square root of fuckall but today was the No turning back bit.

First usage of new halfords pro socket set and the very first thing was tightening a wheel on....a halfords trolley jack. 

Recently I've been reading and rereading the pbps article on bunging a turbo suzuki engine into a Kwak frame because it goes into some depth regarding engine position.

As such this is still trial & error but I committed to the engine transplant by setting it up on the lower rear mount and taking a cutter to the front upper mounts. It's now almost in position but needs raising and rotating at the front a bit more so bracketty goodness will ensue. 

At best I've got the basics of a goer. At worst I've just fukkered a cbr400 frame. Good job it was a pretty awful bike for starters so I shall carry on turd polishing soon.

2021-01-16_05-06-01

2021-01-16_05-30-52

• Like 10

James, you are now officially balls-deep into this. Well done sir

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Herr V. said:

James, you are now officially balls-deep into this. Well done sir

Doomed. That's the appropriate word.

Doomed.

Minor progress today. Was vegetating on sofa but worked out I had 40 minutes of daylight left to get something/anything done so flimsy yet effective rear engine bracket installed. I fucking love allen bolts & lockouts. 

Note

1)bent rear brake lever. So what. It's been like that since I rode the original hawk over a skateboard ramp.

2) fine selection of nuts etc. Oooooh matron!

3) book that obviously was so captivating that I can't be arsed to read it again.

4) new shiny ratchets. I like the shining.

5) obligatory sister sledge cameo part. Not actually used at all today but the audience expects etc...

6) luvverly paddock stands courtesy of the equally luvverly @rossm

7) seven

All done by near dark and cleared away exactly three seconds before it started raining. Precision engineering at its finest. Right - back to the sofa for Fear the walking dead. Yay.

2021-01-18_04-44-02

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

It's shit cold & more shit out there so I brought work indoors for a bit. Mainly experimenting with petrol resistant lacquer on the fuel tank. One coat in and I'm tittybungled on fumes so I might sling some deep trance on whilst I wait to apply two more coats. 

Nope, it's not polished to perfection because I want the lacquer to stick to the tank*

*can't be arsed to polish to perfection. 

2021-01-27_12-41-02

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 1/4/2021 at 6:05 PM, EXUPDEL said:

Dare we ask what the sledgehammer is for?

It’s instead of a staffy on a chain

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, fastfreddybikes said:

It’s instead of a staffy on a chain

Malamute. Always going to be a malamute.

Anyway, I ventured outside mainly because fumes and despite shiteness of the shire I've commenced making other bits shiney...

2021-01-27_02-10-17

53 minutes ago, hawkati said:

Anyway, I ventured outside mainly because fumes and despite shiteness of the shire I've commenced making other bits shiney...

2021-01-27_02-10-17

If the exhaust is stainless, have you tried harpic x10? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ssray said:

If the exhaust is stainless, have you tried harpic x10? 

I have not. In a glass with a slice of lemon and a tiny brolly, yes?

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, hawkati said:

I have not. In a glass with a slice of lemon and a tiny brolly, yes?

Probably not, apply with a kitchen type green Sponge, leave for 10 mins and was off, brings stainless up a treat 

2 minutes ago, ssray said:

Probably not, apply with a kitchen type green Sponge, leave for 10 mins and was off, brings stainless up a treat 

Out of likes but thank you. The above took about 20 odd minutes with a rotating scotchbrite thingy but I've another exhaust* to do so I'll try your way.

*cbr1000 exhaust that I thought would fit but has wierdit oval header pipe ends, therefore shiney it up & sell to offset against ldd costs.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2021 at 2:10 PM, hawkati said:

2021-01-27_02-10-17

No hammer? am totes du disappointe...