Because fukkit.

hawkati

3 hours ago, hawkati said:

The exception proves the rule...

Ahhh so the next exhaust is going to resemble this...

supernova.jpg

• Haha 2

That's almost looking like a motorsykle, please remove it from the forum and don't bring it back until you've 'persuaded' back into  pile of bits with your medium stick of knocking.....

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2020 at 2:30 PM, HOGG said:

Collected the ldu motorcycle on the infamous homemade trailer and arrived home in one piece....

20201223-125213-copy-1734x2312.jpg

And home, soaking wet

20201223-131323-copy-1734x2312.jpg

And finally, the keys now!

20201223-132531-copy-1734x2312.jpg

<£300!?? For a cbr! I have no idea where these things are hiding- anywhere I look we’re talking Chinese 125s or pit bikes for the money. Good find sir👏

• Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 2:30 PM, HOGG said:

Collected the ldu motorcycle on the infamous homemade trailer and arrived home in one piece....

20201223-125213-copy-1734x2312.jpg

And home, soaking wet

20201223-131323-copy-1734x2312.jpg

And finally, the keys now!

20201223-132531-copy-1734x2312.jpg

<£300!?? For a cbr! I have no idea where these things are hiding- anywhere I look we’re talking Chinese 125s or pit bikes for the money. Good find sir👏

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, keke said:

They pop up, that one was sold on the priviso that it was used for ldu, Facebook marketplace seems quite good, I have 3 under £500 on my watch list

2 minutes ago, ssray said:

They pop up, that one was sold on the priviso that it was used for ldu, Facebook marketplace seems quite good, I have 3 under £500 on my watch list

I’m probably not looking hard enough as my plan is to sort the p.o.s. Gpx that last time wouldn’t take a steady load below 6,000rom so knackered the chain so it was dragging on the floor by the time I nursed it home

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly but shirley getting there. Using a careful blend of psychology and extreme violence I've got the engine a little nearer the optimum position. 

Honourable mention has to go to PB/PS for their series of slinging a gixxrrrr turbot into a zx7r. One month they go into just enough detail regarding mounting the engine correctly and that's proved very very useful. Cheers @PBChris & @johnnymack63.

Combination of angle grinder and a bastard rasp has brought the engine up a lot more towards a decent position and I only stopped because I ran out of daylight. About 5 degrees more upward tilt and then I'll be making some engine mounts. Got sufficient stainless steel 3mm plate to double up on all the mounts. Should do it.

• Like 4

On 2/9/2021 at 7:16 PM, ssray said:

It was indeed but things seem to have gone a bit quiet on that front. :eusa_think:

14 minutes ago, Damnthistinleg said:

It was indeed but things seem to have gone a bit quiet on that front. :eusa_think:

Possibly because there's a limited number of spaces and people who signed up last year but couldn't do it have priority. After yay amount of time then it's open to the rest of us and it's a bunfight to sign up & sling a deposit down.

16 hours ago, hawkati said:

About 5 degrees more upward tilt and then I'll be making some engine mounts. Got sufficient stainless steel 3mm plate to double up on all the mounts. Should do it.

Come on man, we all know cable ties will sort any mounting difference out and there won't be enough power from the engine to worry about stretching the ties under acceleration with the copious amounts of torque!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Damnthistinleg said:

HOGGWash is an interesting word.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, ssray said:

I have removed myself from the riders list, furlough and still not allowed to go to work!!! 

Planning on assisting at a pitstop flapjacks at the ready,may even make some fresh ones

Flaps are always welcome but sorry you can't do the run...

• Thanks 1

....some progress but not enough. I'm bloody good with an angle grinder, even subtle so it became a game of drop engine,  shave 2mm off frame castings, raise engine,  measure, drop engine,  shave 1 mm etc. 

...and I'm almost there. I've got some stainless steel plates which should be just fine for front engine mounts. Measured up & drilled....and drilled..and drilled. Fucking hell - tougher than old boots. Fukkered a couple of drill bits so zoomed off to get a set of bosch drill bits thinking maybe my all singing & dancing drill bits bought online are actually made of cheese. Nope - still took forever to create two holes and then it started raining. Double fukkit. There's always tomorrow...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hawkati said:

....some progress but not enough. I'm bloody good with an angle grinder, even subtle so it became a game of drop engine,  shave 2mm off frame castings, raise engine,  measure, drop engine,  shave 1 mm etc. 

...and I'm almost there. I've got some stainless steel plates which should be just fine for front engine mounts. Measured up & drilled....and drilled..and drilled. Fucking hell - tougher than old boots. Fukkered a couple of drill bits so zoomed off to get a set of bosch drill bits thinking maybe my all singing & dancing drill bits bought online are actually made of cheese. Nope - still took forever to create two holes and then it started raining. Double fukkit. There's always tomorrow...

Cutting paste is your friend

That tin will last you years

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, hawkati said:

All that and no mention of the mighty thor to hand at any point 😏

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, firebeast said:

All that and no mention of the mighty thor to hand at any point 😏

No way am I shouting "I'm thor!" in case you think I've got a lisp and fronting a gay metal band...😱

• Haha 3

On 2/26/2021 at 6:45 PM, hawkati said:

No way am I shouting "I'm thor!" in case you think I've got a lisp and fronting a gay metal band...😱

You did say you were worked on a good few of those type of gigs though, correct? 😏

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, firebeast said:

You did say you were worked on a good few of those type of gigs though, correct? 😏

a lifetime of mixing bands. It's resulted in quite a deep seated loathing of musicians and, with the two bands i play in, a strong sense of revenge as motivation to play, muhahhahhahaaaa!

• Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 9:25 AM, Damnthistinleg said:

I was thinking about that earlier today............

Completely forgot to take pics till I slung the bike back in the stable but the engine is in the right place now. Started playing with brackets and measuring to fit then realised I was bloody cold and hungry so that's that for the day.

Meanwhile,  for the first time since 2006, I bought a brand new set of tyres - no way am I getting caught out like last time...yeehaa!

2021-03-02_05-38-52

• Like 6

2 hours ago, blow_away said:

James, for drilling stainless steel use Presto Hi-Nox bits. They are ground to a different angle to standard twist drills.

Excellent- set of 1 to 10mm ordered, thank you!

• Like 1

A bright sunny almost warm day in the shire and I make the wrong decision. Instead of titting about on the 996 I go at mounting the engine again. I waste a considerable amount of time with my shite bosch drills before discovering a 10mm Irwin in my dad's toolbox. Nowt ventured etc..

....and holes drilled in a couple of minutes.

Subsequent to this picture I realise that the thread for the engine mount bolts is ever so slightly different from a standard m10 so I'm on a mission to find a couple of bolts of the correct thread but 10 mm longer. Erk.

Double plates for double strength/damage.

2021-03-09_06-49-14

2021-03-09_05-52-38

Edited by hawkati
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, hawkati said:

A bright sunny almost warm day in the shire and I make the wrong decision. Instead of titting about on the 996 I go at mounting the engine again. I waste a considerable amount of time with my shite bosch drills before discovering a 10mm Irwin in my dad's toolbox. Nowt ventured etc..

....and holes drilled in a couple of minutes.

Subsequent to this picture I realise that the thread for the engine mount bolts is ever so slightly different from a standard m10 so I'm on a mission to find a couple of bolts of the correct thread but 10 mm longer. Erk.

Double plates for double strength/damage.

2021-03-09_06-49-14

2021-03-09_05-52-38

Most excellent 

• Thanks 1

How far off were the rear top mounts James? Can't quite believed it's squeezed in so neatly, mines had a bit of frame removed before they welded the billet mounts on,, then added another piece as a brace between the frame spars.. 

Which airbox was the 600 motor running BTW? If things are getting tight on time, I don't mind digging out my modded 400 airbox that's got the Ali plate with rubber carb mounts attached.. You welcome to use it till you get ldu out the way, or just till it all up and running whilst you sort your own version out. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, firebeast said:

How far off were the rear top mounts James? Can't quite believed it's squeezed in so neatly, mines had a bit of frame removed before they welded the billet mounts on,, then added another piece as a brace between the frame spars.. 

Which airbox was the 600 motor running BTW? If things are getting tight on time, I don't mind digging out my modded 400 airbox that's got the Ali plate with rubber carb mounts attached.. You welcome to use it till you get ldu out the way, or just till it all up and running whilst you sort your own version out. 👍

Top rear mounts are yet to happen - the rear bottom mount was very straightforward thankfully since that lined the front sprocket up correctly,  so everything had to pivot from there. Just a task of yoyoing the engine up & down countless times while shaving the frame. Hence the desire to double plate the front mounts with 3mn plate in & outside the dropped down part of the frame.

Still got to do the other side which will have 4 bolts , then I'll look at the rear tops.

Right now my only real worry is getting the carbs in without interference- if they don't fit I shall cry and kick the cat. 

Cheers for the airbox offer! I've two standard cbr400 & 600 boxes so I shall offer them up and see if either are any good....watch this space... 

• Like 1