Back into the blue

hawkati

10 hours ago, hawkati said:

It was a horse! How very dare you!😂

I'm still not convinced as they sound just the same, yours is just idling a bit lower than @svingel's 1198s...

• Haha 1

Got on with everything I should have done yesterday, but it was titting down with rain then.

Back on with the metzeler roadtec tyres ready to travel to portimao. Chain was pretty fukkered- age old  rings were just falling apart, so on with new chain and sprockets, up one to 17 on the front, mainly due to the cost of fuel these days.

20240423_094920

Also rear shock - given by the schplendidd @blow_away, it's a more recent thingy with more adjustment- 2 stage compression,  rebound and preload can get wound in/on in increments rather than the basic steps of the original.

Top mount of the shock was 1mm wide so i very very gently took 1/2mm off each side - no worries. 

20240423_102239

Note sister sledge used as a lever since I'd bunged the bolts in the wrong sequence and it was slightly out of line. All good now.

20240423_105721

Yamaha had somehow designed the front sprocket cover so it can't be removed until the gear linkage is taken off, and that's damn difficult without taking the footrest off. Silly.

20240423_154721

But finally everything was done so after a food frenzy I took the bike out for a gentle bimble.

20240423_182001

Immediately apparent was the squared off feel of the roadtecs compared to the far quicker steering d212's. Not pleasant at all, but I'd bought them s/h and I'll hope my riding and the routes I'm taking will reset them. They'll be toast by the time I get to portimao so I don't really care.

I'd sort of ghost set the rear shock by backing off the preload a tad, rebound damping reduced by three clicks and two each for slow/fast compression. Though that might suit shire roads. Not bad at all - far more focused than the old bouncy thing.

Still gobsmacked by how good the r1 lights are - not just brightness but spread of the beams = awesome clarity.

20240423_205141

Popped to Cirencester, visited pitstop 1 for the hell of it then went cross country to Bibury - a baptism of bumps for the shock. More so because just getting to Bibury there was a near 5 mile diversion down roads where rocks grow in the road and malevolent sheep wait to devour the unsuspecting. Shire Life.

20240423_210348

20240423_212439

Home and genuinely pleased with how this is turning out. Next task = portimao 🤘

• Like 7

Food frenzy? You mean you flew into the nearest Belfry?

• Haha 1