Back into the blue

hawkati

...but not for long. It'll get some ex race panelling and be transmogrified into a ldu tart. Yip. It's that notorious R1 that's obviously far too good for ldu except It's a rusted up fukker of an electrical nightmare. Doesn't stop everyone else having a pop though😂

Anyway, I'm shifting this

to LDC24 where it rightly belongs.

So, to recap, I bought an R1 that hadn't turned a wheel since 2009. The usual way of things = bung a new battery on, fresh fuel and ride off into the sunset. Nope, not this one - best part of a month chewing my way through the loom and replacing relays & switches as we go.

20240201_155857

Don't look too close. 

20240201_152155

Until today. I'd got it going by shorting the solenoid but there were no lights, the forks are slightly askew and there's stiction. Other than that it's got potential,  so onwards to the next stage. Common denominator for lights and starter is the right hand switchgear and connectors so they got drowned in contact cleaner. Nada. 

ripping airbox and ignition coils off, I could get a proper go at the wiring....and as I flexed it the lights would flicker on & off. Checked again and it looks like it got routed awry and pinched. So, offski it comes ready for a proper good old check.

20240201_164916

I'm going in and I may be some time.

20240201_165029

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

James, you have stripped and checked the main white block connector too right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, srad34 said:

James, you have stripped and checked the main white block connector too right?

Very much that. Yup, done that three times!😂

It does seem to relate to the wiring connected to the right hand switchgear - all the lights, starter and the front brake light wires go awol when I wiggle the wires. Not good, so that's getting checked for breaks once I've dissolved the vile glue gunk from the stupid insulation tape wrapped around the wire casing. Yuk.

34 minutes ago, hawkati said:

Very much that. Yup, done that three times!😂

It does seem to relate to the wiring connected to the right hand switchgear - all the lights, starter and the front brake light wires go awol when I wiggle the wires. Not good, so that's getting checked for breaks once I've dissolved the vile glue gunk from the stupid insulation tape wrapped around the wire casing. Yuk.

For the relative cheap cost of a replacement, Shirley this is a better option?

49 minutes ago, srad34 said:

For the relative cheap cost of a replacement, Shirley this is a better option?

You're quite right, but stop calling me Shirley!

I'm already getting a fair amount of pisstaking from the dullsville brigade about my posh expensive bike😂😂😂

3 hours ago, hawkati said:

...but not for long. It'll get some ex race panelling and be transmogrified into a ldu tart. Yip. It's that notorious R1 that's obviously far too good for ldu except It's a rusted up fukker of an electrical nightmare. Doesn't stop everyone else having a pop though😂

Anyway, I'm shifting this

20240201_155857

That green can near the door, plonk it straight across the battery terminals and exit though that door rapidly, then close it and all the problems will be solved.

No charge for this advice.

Edited by jollygiant
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jollygiant said:

That green can near the door, plonk it straight across the battery terminals and exit though that door rapidly, then close it and all the problems will be solved.

No charge for this advice.

But that's super unleaded - worth more than the bike!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hawkati said:

But that's super unleaded - worth more than the bike!

Super:eusa_dance:

How the other half live. I have to run mine on meths or special brew.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jollygiant said:

Super:eusa_dance:

How the other half live. I have to run mine on meths or special brew.

Just trying to save the tank from the ravages of wintery ethanol aided rust. Not like I'm clocking up the mileage on this😂

• Like 1

No fucking work today so after a mum visit it's time to crack on with stuff.

...and I find the r1 is possessed by the spirit of gixxxrrrr. Fack

20240205_145845

Worse still, the 2009 tyres are welded to the wheels. I have to break the beading, literally, to get it off. Double fack.

20240205_161307

I throw comedy wheel on thd bike because the stable floor is too....unstable for a paddock stand.

20240205_165202

Ersatz duvet spray booth rigged in living room and I crack on with it.

20240205_170238

20240205_175139

I am now completely off my tits on fumes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Shitty rainy arse of a day so time to wield hammers. Yup, that's the rear wheel back on with luvverly rubber, though I've not replaced chain & sprockets yet. Reason being an adjustor, like so many other bolts, is seized solid. Much plusgas and I'll attack it again soon.

20240208_135951

Meanwhile,  off with the front wheel overcoming yet another buggery bolt of seizure. Proper hammer & impact driver time.

20240208_141141

All but one bolt = 5 minutes. One bolt = an hour, ffs.

20240208_160724

Said it before, who needs gyms when there are cunty old tyres glued to wheels? Finally...

20240208_165710

...and the living room risks spontaneous combustion once again

20240208_175425

On the plus side it'll take a couple of bolts to replace the silencer,  and there's nowt wrong with the rear shock so the one that got sold with the bike gets bunged on't bay.

• Like 8

Wheels repainted and roadtecs on, now back to the big issue...its electronic cuntiness. R/h switchgear completely checked, lubed, whispered sweet nothings, the works. Got headlights & sidelights going = goody! Baddy = no front brake lever lights and still no starter on the button. Replaced starter solenoid = nope, still not on the button,  but can fire up for 5 whole seconds with pliers before it cuts out regardless of choke or throttle position. 

Replaced starter assembly relay block - still no button start but will run all day long with pliers assist. Until it chose to die and not start again. I say fack several dozen times then close stable door on it, the cunty thing.

• Sad 3

38 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

@hawkatiTyre Messiah, is this a 4XV?

It's a 5JJ. Rear lights give it away amongst other things :) 

:getmecoat:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trackdaybob said:

It's a 5JJ. Rear lights give it away amongst other things :) 

:getmecoat:

Anorak

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Indeed - 2nd gen. Arguably betterer so holds less value than the first gen. Like my 996 compared to the brittle 916. Suits me sir.

• Like 1

A dry couple of hours and had another go at the bastard. It's acting like the battery is gutless and dead despite it being brand new, and to compound my misery bith my multimeters are.....somewhere!

Bike being charged now and offski to go visit mum and probably buy another multimeter. Fack.

Battery charging = turns over on the button but struggles to fire up. Ripping apart the fuel tap to replace seals (arp) reveals reason why.

Sad fuel tap is sad

20240219_171824

Not surprising 

20240219_172738

Can you guess I'm being a forum tart yet?

20240219_174623

• Like 8

Meanwhile it's cold in the shire so indoors for some fairing fettling. Got these mid panels for an extortionate £2.95 each. Mainly because of the crap paintwork- flames or dildos, you choose.

20240219_182909

The original fairings are far too nice for what I'm planning, to turn this into a painted and bestickered cancer research tart so these are ideal.

20240219_193047

• Like 3

Cunty work is cunty. Three line whip meant Monday Tuesday and Thursday off work turned into no days off at all this week so not had much chance to do anything to bike but it's getting charged like a rabid rhinoceros ready for a weekend onslaught. It's good not having litres of fuel missing on the stable floor as well ...

Something I did earlier. Hoping to do a bunch of 2 minute vids showing the rebuild and aiming to have a bike & helmet cam to record the ride - I so need to learn video editing skills...

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, hawkati said:

Something I did earlier. Hoping to do a bunch of 2 minute vids showing the rebuild and aiming to have a bike & helmet cam to record the ride - I so need to learn video editing skills...

That's such a lovely looking thing.

1 hour ago, cuban pete said:

That's such a lovely looking thing.

honestly, the fairing, seat unit and tank all look really good. Underneath it's more or less rotten to the core. There's going to be a hell of a lot of tlc and time spent on this thing. 

32 minutes ago, hawkati said:

honestly, the fairing, seat unit and tank all look really good. Underneath it's more or less rotten to the core. There's going to be a hell of a lot of tlc and time spent on this thing. 

Will be worth it in the end 😁

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cuban pete said:

Will be worth it in the end 😁

Yes - daren't spend any more until after the ldu or the ridicule will be ludicrous, but then i'll aim to make it a quality trailer princess:D

5 minutes ago, oggy411 said:

Never owned an R1. I’m finding that it’s an itch I need to scratch and vids like this aren’t helping. 

5JJ model are really good and for the money just outstanding value. Great motor surprisingly comfy stunning brakes (sbs pads). Go like stink very stable good handling things. Brilliant on track from oulton big balls speed to nadgery old Cadwell. Long distance road munching is no problem and even pillions didn’t complain overly. Have you bought one yet?

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, fastfreddybikes2 said:

5JJ model are really good and for the money just outstanding value. Great motor surprisingly comfy stunning brakes (sbs pads). Go like stink very stable good handling things. Brilliant on track from oulton big balls speed to nadgery old Cadwell. Long distance road munching is no problem and even pillions didn’t complain overly. Have you bought one yet?

I’m looking for a near minter. I can probably afford a later one (crossplane) but I’d rather have a stunning earlier model than a later one needing work at the same money. What are the issues to look for?