Back into the blue

hawkati

Bike given to an adult to avoid me destroying it entirely. 

20240309_114646

George is a good old boy so mates rates due to CR.

Got hold of a shit old tank real cheap, because it's shit.

20240309_150213

Swiftly cobbled together a rubber & metal seal for the bottom then filled it with white vinegar & salt.

20240309_153454

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Dropped in on George to hand him the workshop manual I forgot yesterday.  Bit late for that he says, because he's sorted the bike already. I'm gobsmacked because he's doing it mates rates in between jobs so I expected not to see it for a week or so. Many happys. 

Task for tomorrow since I can't get use of van for a week is to drive over with the bits to throw bike together,  do an instant mot and ride home. Much yay.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, hawkati said:

Dropped in on George to hand him the workshop manual I forgot yesterday.  Bit late for that he says, because he's sorted the bike already. I'm gobsmacked because he's doing it mates rates in between jobs so I expected not to see it for a week or so. Many happys. 

Task for tomorrow since I can't get use of van for a week is to drive over with the bits to throw bike together,  do an instant mot and ride home. Much yay.

So what was wrong with it in the end?

35 minutes ago, marvin said:

It was broken, now it's fixed. Do keep up.😁

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, jaycee said:

It was broken, now it's fixed. Do keep up.😁

I was thinking it was dead but  now its undead ready to be ridden by the undeaderist. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, marvin said:

Needed a whack with one of James’ many, many hammers 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Jesus Christ is that the tank of Titanic?  What were the spade bits for, to let the rust out??

• Haha 1

One whole mile from the garage to naomi's....but I'm having my arm twisted here...

20240312_143937

• Like 4

It's aliiiiiivvve! Up & running and is just fine....apart from the tyres which had lost half their pressure so it handled like a demented iguana. The mile to mini's indicated that it was running real sweet though, and I got a sideways withering stare whilst being told that despite the monsoon conditions i did really want to ride home & accept a lift back to collect car. 

The first shriek of wheelspin behind me from the rallywitch made it clear that this was a trap and much wits had to be deployed to make up for deflating tyres and generally rusty riding disposition. Nonetheless,  a fine journey!

20240312_153442

20240312_153503

Engine is deceptively smooth with more than enough grunt to make the roadtec feel sorry for itself. Instantly got cramp due to high footpegs and sheer lack of bike fitness (think I've done 30 miles since November?) Gearbox is clunky, far more so than previous exups. Exhaust gives off a fine crackle. Couldn't get mot today so booked in Friday morning. Much yay. 

Oh yes - sidi st boots, agv lid and for the first time in years a full set of textiles. Oh the humanity!

20240312_163505

20240312_170230

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Yay! ..and Bollocks! In equal measure. Immediate gremlins today - bike had behaved perfectly for just one day to get through mot, then witchcraft - turning on headlights = no headlights, instrument display dying while actually whining at me, and likewise when using pass switch or indicators. Fack.

Carried on anyway because had sidelights, rear & brake lights and I was gagging to find out how the bike actually behaves. Not bad at all - nowhere near as cutting edge as the 1198s,  but much more chuckable than thd old exup. So it should be at near 50kgs lighter. Very accurate steering now tyres behaving though the strange flat profile of the roadtecs aren't ideal. Road 5's going on soon. Brakes are damn good, but not great- again, I'm used to the ducati brembo set up which is awesome. New pads to go on soon. 

Gearbox is clingy....what I mean is it's slightly notchy and likes to hang onto gears when accelerating until you wind the throttle off with a deliberate action. On the ducati it's much smoother and a slight roll off will notch up the next gear effortlessly. 

No worries,  it's a contender and much better condition than I am after a winter of no riding. Proper fitness frenzy is necessary. 

Did another coat of lacquer once home and bike will get new/old clothes soon.

• Like 2

Yupski,  that multi connector block. The one I'd cleaned a couple of times & sealed up. 

Took it apart,drowned it in contact cleaner around five times, put it together & took apart a similar number. All good. Sealed with battery grease, rubber cover stuffed with a couple of bend over gloves, wrapped in plastic and sealed with insulation tape and cable ties. No condensation getting in that muttha now. Test ride tomorrow when I'm not so frozen. 

• Like 3

Sorted. Bike behaving pretty damn nice now ( see bike riding thread) Done approx 300 miles on it now and aiming to throw charity fairing & seat unit on before haunting our trackday bob at snetterton this saturday:ph34r:

• Like 4

A triumph of stupidity over adversity- the best part of four (4! ffs!) hours just replacing fairing and tailpiece. Almost all the screws were rusted, fucked up, useless, and the bloody design - 6 bolts just to remove an indicator. No wonder the euro bikes are so much better now. I think the designer had a sisters of mercy fixation "twenty five screws and I need more" T w a t .

Anyway, I'm bloody done with it for now. Nitynite. 

20240321_202952

20240322_002218

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2024 at 9:22 PM, bignige said:

1 word.

Self-amalgamating tape.

🙂

I'm going to be kind and allow you your hyphenated portmanteau and say it's 2 words, but really, deep down, I think it's 3.

On 3/22/2024 at 9:43 AM, hawkati said:

If you need the use of a scruffy 5jj tank pm me your hammeriness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, hybrid400 said:

If you need the use of a scruffy 5jj tank pm me your hammeriness.

Thank you muchly - the very nice trackdaybob has offered me an aircraft spec (knacked) tank already, but that's genuinely appreciated. The one I've got (not the far too good one) is utterly rotten😂

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, hawkati said:

Thank you muchly - the very nice trackdaybob has offered me an aircraft spec (knacked) tank already, but that's genuinely appreciated. The one I've got (not the far too good one) is utterly rotten😂

No problem,good your sorted,though if for any reason the other falls through,let me know:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hybrid400 said:

No problem,good your sorted,though if for any reason the other falls through,let me know:thumbsup:

Thank you, you're a gent, in a non pb way!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another jaunt today and all is well, apart from a couple of things - one minor - an indicator wire working loose. 

The other more fundamental- riding position. With the standard bars and furniture mounted on them it's impossible to get the brake and clutch levers lowered enough for wrists to be straight. That's a little bit crap after 150 miles so, trust me, it's fucking awful after a thousand miles. Proper debilitating. 

So on with slightly raised bars. Allegedly 1 inch higher, but they slope 7 degrees so where your hands are placed are a little lower. Easy thing is to turn the bars in towards the tank a bit to make up for it. On with renthal grey grips which I bought forever ago when I intended to go racing the desmo series - found them when doing a clearout the other day. Fingers crossed this will help comfort on the journey to portimao as well. Good not to be broken before three days on track eh?

• Like 6

so - it's a contender. Goes, stops and handles rather well thankfully. Got a few things to do though to make it betterer.

1) chain & sprocket set. Kind of really damn necessary - portimao will kill the old chain dead, and that's not a good thing to be. Got a set which i bought ages ago for the exup that will fit and a 17 tooth front sprocket may well help the IL4 buzziness, economy on the distance work, more driveable on track & stop me eternally changing to a mythical 7th gear. 

2) rear shock - got a later big bang shock courtesy of @blow_away - just as well because the rebound damping on the original is.....weak. It's a springy thing. I shall plot cunni9ng ways of lifting my rear ( phnarr) and throwing it in. 

3) finishing the charidee look - got an old mudguard, now black with added QR code, and hoping to get a tank from the luvverly @trackdaybob this weekend. More black is necessary along with appropriate cancer research stickers & codes. The bike is doing a good job already of attracting comments & views and me, being an eloquent bastard, can happily answer questions about the event. Genuinely hoping that even a slight fraction of those that see the bike donate a bit to the cause. Watch this space, or rather, the vapour trail as i fang it to portimao in....jaysus....16 days time:shock:

• Like 7

If you have a spare pillion seat then I have the best sportsbike luggage solution. Bolt top box mounting plate through pillion seat. Works a treat. 

IMG_9797.jpeg

Edited by Mr.Incredible
  • Like 3

Massive thanks to the indestructible @trackdaybob for a tank that may well be a fine charity item of decoration. I shall acknowledge this in writing with gold nail varnish! 

Rust ridding frenzy probably coming up soon as ive opened the cap...

20240414_151730

• Like 5

New brakes & panties! 

Er, no - let me rephrase that. New brake pads (ebc hh) and second hand lying-aroubd-in-the-stable braided hoses (goodrich). Bit of a bloody bleeding session using many techniques and it's all good to go. Or rather, stop.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, hawkati said:

New brakes & panties! 

Er, no - let me rephrase that. New brake pads (ebc hh) and second hand lying-aroubd-in-the-stable braided hoses (goodrich). Bit of a bloody bleeding session using many techniques and it's all good to go. Or rather, stop.

Love the hammer indimidation. It’s like smack down WWF meets cuntstubbles the hay wain

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, outkast said:

Was that your ducati I could hear ticking over in the back ground?

It was a horse! How very dare you!😂

• Thanks 1