LDC 2023 - The Ride

TKDMitch

15 minutes ago, blow_away said:

Marmite

Unless they're cheese scones he's a madman...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Basil said:

All in safe and accounted for I hope.

All in safely, though some not until around 7.00am this morning, so it was a very spread out field.

• Like 8

That was.... Emotional.

I think I got to JoG about 0430h in the end, but I shepherded one chap back from about Glen Coe onwards. He'd tipped off his bike at Dunoon snapping his clutch perch and getting a mirror stalk in his eye. I didn't want to leave him, especially as his tank range was pretty small on an old Honda CB360. He suddenly disappeared a number of times from my mirrors so I had to go back and see if he was ok and could get the bike started. 993 miles was my final total.

I was soooo cold though, the chap at P5 who owns Haggis Adventures lent me thermal liners which helped so much, and his wife had made little doggy bags including the aforementioned scones and a miniature bottle of Whiskey for arrival. I gave her a hug as a left and thought we were both about to blub!

I suspect I'll be hearing from Ecilops Ecosse at some point in my near future and I can't say I don't deserve it. I really, really wanted to get to bed last night. What surprised me was the control and flow I felt, and just how slow the miles ticked down deapite the concentration and speed.

Oh, and the bikes lost a header gasket so currently sounds like a pair of stolen motorcrossers. So the next 850 miles will be fun.

Not.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, EvilSpike said:

Ha. No.

It'll not be far off 2k when I get home.

Assuming I can't get anyone to steal it...

if you're riding anywhere near burford/cirencester (pitstop1) on the way back. i owe you a pint or three and you richly deserve them. Well done. 

• Thanks 1

I thought my teapot was the sort of bike for the challenge, a bit like an episode of roadkill, with an element of will it finish or will it kill me! 
it did finish and it’s done another couple of hundred today, I can’t ride it without earplugs because it’s so noisy and I shouldn’t ride in the dark because a Halfords push bike light isn’t exactly what Suzuki planned for it but it will get me home and maybe it’ll have a bit of love and I’ll get to pilot it up the country again on another LDU, I might even get 2 challenges out of one year’s £600!

• Like 15

25 minutes ago, Davejustdave said:

I thought my teapot was the sort of bike for the challenge, a bit like an episode of roadkill, with an element of will it finish or will it kill me! 
it did finish and it’s done another couple of hundred today, I can’t ride it without earplugs because it’s so noisy and I shouldn’t ride in the dark because a Halfords push bike light isn’t exactly what Suzuki planned for it but it will get me home and maybe it’ll have a bit of love and I’ll get to pilot it up the country again on another LDU, I might even get 2 challenges out of one year’s £600!

Spirit of LDC....right there. 🏆

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Davejustdave said:

Loved the noise of the teapot when it left pitstop no 2, the satnav mount was pure genius too

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Davejustdave said:

good to see you at pitstop 1 and bloody well done for completing the ordeal! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ssray said:

Loved the noise of the teapot when it left pitstop no 2, the satnav mount was pure genius too

It sounds so much worse now! Although someone following me through the Scottish bit (I can’t remember who said it right now, my brain’s still a bit fuzzy) said from behind it sounded quite good.. might have been his tired state!😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Davejustdave said:

It sounds so much worse now! Although someone following me through the Scottish bit (I can’t remember who said it right now, my brain’s still a bit fuzzy) said from behind it sounded quite good.. might have been his tired state!😂

I liked the the rear light customisation, have you still got the spare bulb?

1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

I liked the the rear light customisation, have you still got the spare bulb?

Yes, I found it in amongst some bits of sausage roll and flapjack this morning!!

• Haha 6

Nutters, lunatics, and heroes all.

It is a glorious madness worthy of midsummer.

For some reason, the site won't accept my donor registration, which is odd, 'cause it did last year, and before.

Can I Revolut someone and have them chuck it in the pot?

• Like 1

On 6/22/2023 at 10:51 AM, SWTH said:

Just out of interest, who holds the race* record for LDC? 

I know it’s not a simple answer as regards the route changing etc, but is there a definitive list of fastest times?

*Not a race. Definitely not. Absolutely perish the thought…

Oh and well done everyone, lunatics/heroes the lot of you.

Last time I did it (2018?), I got there at 10pm - it was still light - with the REA's. Had I not taken a shitty detour past the Kelpies I would of been half hour ahead of them. Was a different route heading up the East of the country, but I wasn't hanging about and I never used my spare fuel (CBR600f2) or auxiliary tanks

Edited by Gix
  • Like 3

Hope @wavey doesn't mind me bunging this up....watch it, all of it. A very fine overview of his experience of the event. Delighted to meet you at pitstop 1

• Like 9

Anyone looked at the total so far? Gloriously groomed pack of fannies one and all... p0fnN2g.gif   

I'll have another look down the back of the tv in a week!

OEAbXhz.gif

• Like 1

The total as I write this, including Gift Aid, is £97, 659.

I'm utterly gobsmacked by that. These people are fucking heroes, and thank you so much to everyone who has donated.

Be great if we could pass £100k, so upend those grannies, search the sofa for change, and if you possibly can, chuck a few quid in the pot. I love you all, and will be popping round to express that love physically, like a dog on the furniture, unless you donate sharpish. If you don't want 6'2" of tubby middle aged man clamped to your leg for the rest of the day, you know what to do. :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, TKDMitch said:

The total as I write this, including Gift Aid, is £97, 659.

I'm utterly gobsmacked by that. These people are fucking heroes, and thank you so much to everyone who has donated.

Be great if we could pass £100k, so upend those grannies, search the sofa for change, and if you possibly can, chuck a few quid in the pot. I love you all, and will be popping round to express that love physically, like a dog on the furniture, unless you donate sharpish. If you don't want 6'2" of tubby middle aged man clamped to your leg for the rest of the day, you know what to do. :D

Do you know a tubby 6’2” man then?

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...