LDC 2023 - The Ride

TKDMitch

44 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

It doesn’t matter, they are all heroes.

So very much this. 

Just been out teaching children to kick and punch each other, back to LDC and a bit of a catch up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The riders have been rolling through Pitstop 4, ready to catch the ferry. This is a great meeting spot and bunches the riders up a bit so they have company for the more remote legs of the journey.

Lee is riding the Van Van in memory of a family member who used to own it, and is riding with his mate Rob on a Diversion with no fork oil. They've bypassed P4 and the ferry and make up some time with a more direct route and that's just fine by me.

May be an image of 4 people, people camping, off-road vehicle, van, road and text

May be an image of 3 people, motorcycle, scooter and road

May be an image of 2 people, scooter, motorcycle and text

• Like 5

No this bike did not cost £600.

Yes, the GS500 he was originally going to ride died on the way to Lands End.

No, he wasn't going to give up or let down CRUK, so he used his normal bike.

Yes, we're still taking the mick :D

Good man, doing his bit still.

May be an image of 1 person, scooter, dirt bike and motorcycle

• Like 6

Question 1 (12 marks)

a) Count the number of cylinders in this photo. (3 marks)

b) Now subtract one to find the number of working cylinders in this photo. (3 marks)

Show your working.

c) Given the make and model of each bike, which has the highest probability of a cylinder not firing? (6 marks)

May be an image of dirt bike, scooter, motorcycle and text

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, TKDMitch said:

Question 1 (12 marks)

a) Count the number of cylinders in this photo. (3 marks)

b) Now subtract one to find the number of working cylinders in this photo. (3 marks)

Show your working.

c) Given the make and model of each bike, which has the highest probability of a cylinder not firing? (6 marks)

May be an image of dirt bike, scooter, motorcycle and text

I'm going for thr triumph because that vintage always fucked the middle plug.

Then again, I saw close up the state of the teapot😱

• Like 1

Everyone is through P4 now, either on the ferry or bypassing. P5 awaits, assuming anyone can survive the dreaded midgies that swarm between them and brief sanctuary at Inverness. It was this section that claimed the front wheel of a TDM last year IIRC. The riders are tired, it's dark, and they're really starting to hurt.

I reckon that effort is worth a few quid of anyone's money, so if you possibly can, chuck a few quid their way. Next time you meet a pensioner/child, turn them upside down and shake them. Whatever money falls out of their pockets belongs to the LDC, it's the law.

Longest Day Up 2023 (cancerresearchuk.org)

f2caa063-d370-46d6-b170-6acc8abac0e2.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, jaycee said:

How in hell are they getting bikes like this for £600???

2 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

It doesn’t matter, they are all heroes.

• Like 4

Riders are making their way through P5 now, I can barely imagine how knackered they must be. Last push to JOG and a well earned dram courtesy of Glenmorangie :)

5a6ee568-0468-4ac5-998f-6d3dfb3c0052.jpg

ba4a3bf8-a2d2-4a08-9835-032ccef83737.jpg

bbf67bfc-ca51-4c2b-87f1-fd1b4c82f81b.jpg

• Like 6

First rider at JoG at 2325.

Derek, what a ride that must have been. Rocket boosters must have been at full chat!

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, IforB said:

First rider at JoG at 2325.

Derek, what a ride that must have been. Rocket boosters must have been at full chat!

Not on the bike he wanted to ride, but on the bike he had left to ride. Good job that man.:icon_salut:

• Like 3

Back home from P4 duties, I'm currently lying on my bed with a cuppa and a massive grin on my face. 

I'm utterly exhausted from being at the pit stop for so long but it's nothing compared to what the riders are putting themselves through. They're a breed apart and deserve massive respect (and probably a good hot shower, a tube of hemorrhoid cream swiftly followed by several hours uninterrupted rest in a nice comfy bed) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Supercoolnothing said:

Back home from P4 duties, I'm currently lying on my bed with a cuppa and a massive grin on my face. 

I'm utterly exhausted from being at the pit stop for so long but it's nothing compared to what the riders are putting themselves through. They're a breed apart and deserve massive respect (and probably a good hot shower, a tube of hemorrhoid cream swiftly followed by several hours uninterrupted rest in a nice comfy bed) 

Big thanks to you and all at P4. It's not just the quick servicing (oo-err) or wiping a helmet (woof woof) that's important. I think the emotional support of knowing there is a friendly face waiting for you makes a big difference. Nice work dude :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Grant, Keith and Dan Mills are all over the line at JOG. Remember what I said in another thread about how the LDC brings people back again and again? These gentlemen are a perfect example.

I mean, they're not as utterly mental as @hawkati but still...

:D

fd35c8eb-2483-4c58-bf43-f5c7e173739d.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I'm going to sign off soon folks, it's been a long but brilliant day.

I'd just like everyone on PB-Evo, and if you know someone here who hasn't followed this thread please point them here and explain why it's important to the forum, I'd just like everyone to take a minute and think about how we've raised £72k+ this year, approaching £0.5 million total.

All over the UK there are huge companies who don't do anywhere near that much good for others.

Yet here we are, a little community of riders who have created something great, and done something special with it.

If you've ever had any involvement with the LDC, whether riding, manning a pitstop, driving a van, sharing social media or just chucking in what you can afford, you've contributed to that great something. 

If you haven't, all you have to do is click the link in my sig and that's it, you're part of something we can all be truly proud of. :)

Good night all, we did something special here today :)

• Like 6

Am out of likes; thanks for the updates @TKDMitch treat yourself to a nut cutlet and a secretarial role in John Wick 5...

Everyone you're a glorious pack of bastards! Well done... donations on the way :thumbsup:

mUorwsi.gif

• Like 1