LDC 2022 The Ride

TKDMitch

Updates will be a little slower now as people get into areas with bad reception.

We know the following people are either at or through Inverness;

Rich Sutton, Nige Rea, Andy Crackett, Dave Lush, Simon Gunning, Ian Richardson, Luke Brackenbury, James Anderton, Paul Berry, Simon Hindley, Peter Skinner.

We think the front runners (first 3 in that group) will be about 1/3 of the way from Inverness to John O'Groats.

These guys will be really tired now, so if you possibly can, chuck them a few quid eh? :)

May be an image of 1 person, motorcycle and road

May be an image of 1 person, motorcycle and outdoors

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TKDMitch said:

More from our high tech comms system...

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-21 at 10.51.13 PM.jpeg

This is gonna be one of those things that escalates isn't it, next year P1 will attach water balloons filled with photocopier toner, P2 will have feathers, P3 glitter, P4 copydex & P5 is gonna get the mother & father of all bombings!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Basil said:

This is gonna be one of those things that escalates isn't it, next year P1 will attach water balloons filled with photocopier toner, P2 will have feathers, P3 glitter, P4 copydex & P5 is gonna get the mother & father of all bombings!

I'm gonna be sooo disappointed if that doesn't happen :D

• Like 3

Steve, Paul. Scott and Marcus have all landed at Pitstop 5. Must be half our riders through now. No word of any more arrivals at JOG, but I think they must be there by now.

May be an image of 2 people, motorcycle and outdoors

May be an image of 1 person and motorcycle

• Like 2

Fuck everybody in the whole wide world, it makes me happy to see a big beautiful bug eyed TDM in bright red, exactly like I had 20-30 years ago, finishing ahead of sportsbikes, tourers, and everything in between :D

May be an image of 1 person, motorcycle, road and text that says "JOHN O'GROATS NEW YORK I"

• Like 6

Now this is great; Luke was denied by mechanical failure last year, but was straight back this year on another bike he did a lot of work on.

Here it is at JOG. I can't imagine how good that must feel; congratulations dude :D

May be an image of motorcycle and road

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic group of well pruned fannies :icon_salut:

I'm out of likes but thanks again Mitchy-poo for keeping us up to date, whilst manning the bat phones, eating kimchi toasties, picking your hoop & farting on the hour wearing a kaftan :thumbsup:

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Basil said:

Fantastic group of well pruned fannies :icon_salut:

I'm out of likes but thanks again Mitchy-poo for keeping us up to date, whilst manning the bat phones, eating kimchi toasties, picking your hoop & farting on the hour wearing a kaftan :thumbsup:

giphy.gif

For you my friend, anything :D

I need to call it a night there folks, but we've heard from all our riders recently. Some still have a good few hours ahead of them, many are on the last leg, some are settled in JOG.

I'd like to just ask everyone to think about the reality of riding a knackered bike for around 24 hours. The amount of concentration, the amount of physical pain. These guys have done something incredible, and that's just today, not the months of prep, time off work, etc etc.

Please. They deserve your support, every single one of them.

Please. Rummage in your pockets, purse, and down the couch; whatever you find, donate that. If you can afford more, please add it, if you can't afford anything tell all your friends and the random people you meet tomorrow about the LDC.

£50k+ raised so far. What a difference a day makes :)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Congratulations to all LDU heroes. Riders Helpers sponsors. You have all done an amazing thing.

Enjoy your breakfast at John o Groats.

Have a safe journey back home wherever that may be. And whatever you do avoid the A9 from Inverness Its fucking purgatory with the average speed cameras

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Basil said:

I think we started something here. My only real regret was not taking "those playing cards" and finding strategic homes for them on the bikes
but i must thank @Alex_H for sourcing said sharpie and encouraging said vandalism - he made me do it lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

14 hours ago, IforB said:

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-21 at 6.40.44 PM.jpeg

I see I’m going to have to up my game on the sticker front for next year 😁

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, IforB said:

Some fine work by the P4 team and Ben has a working back brake again. + some instructions!

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-21 at 9.08.31 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-21 at 9.08.57 PM.jpeg

I'm so glad I didn't empty my van of work stuff after all. The drill came in handy. 

I would just like to stress that, after the catastrophe with @IforB's Fazer last year, I didn't lay hands on a bike all day😁. Ali did the handiwork. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, blow_away said:

Anyone surfaced yet?

I'd love to hear some tales from the ride.

I see on FB that Luke B is starting his train journey back home. How he can even think about it is beyond me - I’d be full-on comatose still.

As da yoot say - props to them all innit.

20 minutes ago, Sidkinky said:

I see on FB that Luke B is starting his train journey back home. How he can even think about it is beyond me - I’d be full-on comatose still.

you get thrown out of accomodation around 10am regardless of when you arrive*

...which for me has led to a couple of occasions riding around like a complete brain dead zombie looking for anywhere ielse i can just sling a tent up and sleeeeeep.**

* all the more reason to ride like a gent so you can get there in plenty of time to drink a talisker or five, talk shite with johnny & the others and still get a good night's kip. 

** hence my discovering and using an old church three years running. Comfy! 

1 hour ago, Sidkinky said:

I got up at 0900 last year. Did the photocall and ate some brekkie, then rode 7 hrs through the twisties back to a mate's place in Stirling. 

Adrenaline does funny things to you, as I felt great! 

• Like 4