LDC 2021 The Ride

TKDMitch

Bauer probably made that choice in their corporate way.

As the big fella says best to leave it, let’s not lower ourselves and taint things.

As for Luke, he will do positive things for this.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, johnnymack63 said:

Best just leave it folks. They’ve made their position clear., there’s nothing to be gained by kicking off. I probably shouldn’t have mentioned anything, but a combination of a session in the pub last night and the question being asked if there was going to be any media follow up meant I probably shared something personal that I shouldn’t have.

As it happens, I believe Luke from Bennett’s will be doing a follow up on it, and they’re keen to support the event next year either via their bikesocial platform or Bennett’s or both.

You made the correct choice jm imho. It's always better to share and get it off your chest.... You do a great service for a great charity, as does everyone else involved, but with a few folks negative attitude towards it,, like dickheads nicking charity bikes for profit,, 😠 should not be allowed to go unnoticed,,, then atleast the same thing hopefully won't happen again...  

32 minutes ago, johnnymack63 said:

Best just leave it folks. They’ve made their position clear., there’s nothing to be gained by kicking off. I probably shouldn’t have mentioned anything, but a combination of a session in the pub last night and the question being asked if there was going to be any media follow up meant I probably shared something personal that I shouldn’t have.

As it happens, I believe Luke from Bennett’s will be doing a follow up on it, and they’re keen to support the event next year either via their bikesocial platform or Bennett’s or both.

Aye. I am afraid true colours have been shown here, we should just be thankful that the forum is no longer reliant on them for survival. 

It is a real shame, especially as you would have thought the LDC smashes the PS demographic right between the eyes, let alone being a wonderful event in its own right. Given how little decent content has been in the mag recently, an offer of free, well written content that meets the interest of readers and promotes a wonderful charity event too, does seem to be daft, but hey Ho. 

Luke will do a great job though and brilliant to have the support of a company like Bennets. I really enjoyed meeting him and he properly "got", the whole thing, his Brackenburgman was just epic. Still my favourite bike from the event and it is such a shame it died. What really impressed me about him though was even though the bike died, he got in the van and still made it to JoG just to complete the event. He could have thrown his teddies out of the pram and gone home (and given his workload over the next week) that would have been completely justified, but nope, he supported it to the end, then spent untold hours on the terrible Scottish train service getting down to Edinburgh. 

That is doing and covering the event properly. So instead of having a pop at the mag that shall now not be named (and I will pull my subscription over this) then let's celebrate the new partners and supporters of the event, from Mr Rutter providing the van, to a certain Mr Mcguinnes who was tweeting out support and getting involved. 

All legends. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, IforB said:

Aye. I am afraid true colours have been shown here, we should just be thankful that the forum is no longer reliant on them for survival. 

It is a real shame, especially as you would have thought the LDC smashes the PS demographic right between the eyes, let alone being a wonderful event in its own right. Given how little decent content has been in the mag recently, an offer of free, well written content that meets the interest of readers and promotes a wonderful charity event too, does seem to be daft, but hey Ho. 

Luke will do a great job though and brilliant to have the support of a company like Bennets. I really enjoyed meeting him and he properly "got", the whole thing, his Brackenburgman was just epic. Still my favourite bike from the event and it is such a shame it died. What really impressed me about him though was even though the bike died, he got in the van and still made it to JoG just to complete the event. He could have thrown his teddies out of the pram and gone home (and given his workload over the next week) that would have been completely justified, but nope, he supported it to the end, then spent untold hours on the terrible Scottish train service getting down to Edinburgh. 

That is doing and covering the event properly. So instead of having a pop at the mag that shall now not be named (and I will pull my subscription over this) then let's celebrate the new partners and supporters of the event, from Mr Rutter providing the van, to a certain Mr Mcguinnes who was tweeting out support and getting involved. 

All legends. 

Very much this focus on the positives.

On 7/3/2021 at 7:51 AM, johnnymack63 said:

I was talking to one of the guys from the Fast Bikes publishing group (sorry forgot his name) about the ride and he said he would love to have a crack at it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Herr V. said:

I was talking to one of the guys from the Fast Bikes publishing group (sorry forgot his name) about the ride and he said he would love to have a crack at it.

Very much this. Pb/ps have benefitted from great write ups of the event, from @johnnymack63to Simon Lee and indeed PBChris last year - each was a fine slice of writing that summed up the spirit of the event. If Fast Bikes take that up then it's their (and their readers)gain and ps's loss. Fairynuff,  onwards & upwards...

• Like 3

@johnnymack63 Please pass on my gratitude to Mr Rutter for his support for this years event. Furthermore to any other helpers contributors that enabled this years event to go ahead.

I know that LDU is all about raising money for cancer research, but I just want to say on a personal level doing the ride is one if not the highlight of my year. Knowing that I am doing the event fills my head almost to the point of obsession. Its how I imagine racers feel about the TT. For the 6 months between committing to the event to riding it, Its pretty much all I think about. Prepping the bike, Prepping myself. Going out and doing long miles. Watching and reading all the effort other riders are putting into via the Whats app group. Being a small part of the community that surrounds the event. Its an honour to be a part of it. But for me its mostly about having a reason to ride my bike. I don't like or see the point in just going for a blast. I don't like riding loops around my local area. I always need a reason to ride a bike, a mission. Knowing I have the LDC coming up gives me that for 6 months. Not that my Mrs would ever stop me riding my bike but doing the LDU give me the justification for having long days out on the bike. Spending a whole day or even having an overnighter away from the family in preparation for the big event. Spending a stupid amount of time in the garage prepping the bike. etc etc etc. You all know.

I would have liked to think that the LDC as an event is bigger than any politics of publishing. By my memory maths the event as a whole must have raised more than £200k for cancer research since its conception. That's amazing. For PSPB to turn their back on the LDC is incredibly short sighted. LDC could be 6 months of original content for them just by reading the exploits of the Whats app group. Reading about @hawkati battle with the Unklefucker would be way more interesting than yet another article about Yamaha LC's. 

And that's the whole point this event inspires us to do something. To do many things. Isn't that the whole point of any magazine? Certainly without the LDC articles in PSPB I wouldn't have even known the event existed. reading about the LDC inspired me to get involved and my life is all the brighter for it.

So far as having written about Guys Hayabusa in FB I dont know the ins and outs of Copyright law but I imagine they own the rights to the words they publish, but they don't own the rights to your experiences and riding that bike is an experience as far as I know only 2 people have had. Why shouldn't you share that? 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, cuban pete said:

No one has mentioned dog bumming.  The decline in moral standards of this place is complete 😁

You swore me to secrecy.

• Haha 2

On 7/6/2021 at 3:50 AM, EXUPDEL said:

@johnnymack63 Please pass on my gratitude to Mr Rutter for his support for this years event. Furthermore to any other helpers contributors that enabled this years event to go ahead.

I know that LDU is all about raising money for cancer research, but I just want to say on a personal level doing the ride is one if not the highlight of my year. Knowing that I am doing the event fills my head almost to the point of obsession. Its how I imagine racers feel about the TT. For the 6 months between committing to the event to riding it, Its pretty much all I think about. Prepping the bike, Prepping myself. Going out and doing long miles. Watching and reading all the effort other riders are putting into via the Whats app group. Being a small part of the community that surrounds the event. Its an honour to be a part of it. But for me its mostly about having a reason to ride my bike. I don't like or see the point in just going for a blast. I don't like riding loops around my local area. I always need a reason to ride a bike, a mission. Knowing I have the LDC coming up gives me that for 6 months. Not that my Mrs would ever stop me riding my bike but doing the LDU give me the justification for having long days out on the bike. Spending a whole day or even having an overnighter away from the family in preparation for the big event. Spending a stupid amount of time in the garage prepping the bike. etc etc etc. You all know.

I would have liked to think that the LDC as an event is bigger than any politics of publishing. By my memory maths the event as a whole must have raised more than £200k for cancer research since its conception. That's amazing. For PSPB to turn their back on the LDC is incredibly short sighted. LDC could be 6 months of original content for them just by reading the exploits of the Whats app group. Reading about @hawkati battle with the Unklefucker would be way more interesting than yet another article about Yamaha LC's. 

And that's the whole point this event inspires us to do something. To do many things. Isn't that the whole point of any magazine? Certainly without the LDC articles in PSPB I wouldn't have even known the event existed. reading about the LDC inspired me to get involved and my life is all the brighter for it.

So far as having written about Guys Hayabusa in FB I dont know the ins and outs of Copyright law but I imagine they own the rights to the words they publish, but they don't own the rights to your experiences and riding that bike is an experience as far as I know only 2 people have had. Why shouldn't you share that? 

@EXUPDEL, I totally agree with every word.  Well said

• Like 1

On 7/6/2021 at 4:53 AM, cuban pete said:

No one has mentioned dog bumming.  The decline in moral standards of this place is complete 😁

Tis true indeed

I did get into JoG early enough to find an attractive Sheep though 😉

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Herr V. said:

Tis true indeed

I did get into JoG early enough to find an attractive Sheep though 😉

I am quite appalled by this.

That you had enough energy to consider such nefarious acts with said sheep just shows you weren't trying hard enough during the ride!

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2021 at 2:20 PM, EXUPDEL said:

I am quite appalled by this.

That you had enough energy to consider such nefarious acts with said sheep just shows you weren't trying hard enough during the ride!

If your curly locks were blonde and you made the right noises..........  Well you know

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Herr V. said:

If your curly locks were blonde and you made the right noises..........  Well you know

Ever thought you might have been living in the Fens for too long?

No sheep in the Fens mate, only relatives but none of mine so I have no chance there.

You have to cross to the next County to find sheep 😥

• Haha 1