LDC 2021 The Ride

TKDMitch

This is it folks, the thread where you'll be able to follow the riders as they take on a 1000+ mile challenge in 24 hours. Some riders started out yesterday, some today, all ready for a ceremonial start in daylight tonight, then the real thing tomorrow at dawn.

You can follow them all in this thread, and see the story of the day unfold. 

Most of all you can be part of making this the most successful LDC ever! We have raised nearly £50,000, and it would be a huge boost to the riders to know they have cracked that figure.

So, please, if you possibly can, donate a few quid via the link here :)

Longest Day Up 2021 | Cancer Research UK Giving Pages

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Good luck sweethearts; stay safe and broadly legal x

Now then you all know the directions right...?

o357kJ5.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Pissing down for the riders this morning, but the forecast is that it gets drier as they head north, so hopefully they're out of the worst of it soon.

It's been eventful already! George Dennison was attacked by mysterious gremlins on the A30 and ground to a halt. He got to a layby, at which point the bike started again so he's underway once more.

Rich Woolley had the link on his ZZR6 chain snap, he's been collected by the sweeper van and they're hoping to do repairs at Pitstop 1.

As always, if you spare a few quid, or a chain link, please click here to donate  https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/.../longest-day-up...

• Like 5

Veteran LDC rider Dan Mills is in the lead* on the Pink Panther VFR, in and out of Pitstop 1 at Cirencester. 2 riders didn't make the start; John and Julian are hoping to join at Pitstop 3 if they can get the bike fixed. There are a few machines this year that make you suck your teeth and offer up a prayer to the gods of mechanical integrity.

*It's not a race.

• Like 5

Cirencester already? Blimey! Keep the updates coming, loving this.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TKDMitch said:

it's either fuel or he had a LOT of coffee earlier this morning...

c1eaf672-95a7-4fa4-95d5-e2d93e14114e.jpg

I swear to God  - it did not have that seat cover on when I sold it to him

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, TKDMitch said:

it's either fuel or he had a LOT of coffee earlier this morning...

c1eaf672-95a7-4fa4-95d5-e2d93e14114e.jpg

Is this possibly a case of he got conned into believing about the special pixie water across in banjo county whilst staying down there,, trust me it only works for the local inbreds down there 😏

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TKDMitch said:

Everyone is now through Pitstop 1. Thanks to all the crew there, brilliant job guys 👍

203412641_1891573124336445_4152010990651015919_n.jpg

The rider on the bandit at the back will have the biggest grapes hanging out his ass EVER, if he keeps riding it that way,,,, 

It's not @fastfreddybikes is it, as that would make sense tbh😏

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TKDMitch said:

Everyone is now through Pitstop 1. Thanks to all the crew there, brilliant job guys 👍

202189177_1891573074336450_1746579142887980176_n.jpg

<snip>

Faarrrkkk!!! That's some setup at Pitstop 1, it almost looks like a real Greggs! :blink:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, firebeast said:

The rider on the bandit at the back will have the biggest grapes hanging out his ass EVER, if he keeps riding it that way,,,, 

It's not @fastfreddybikes is it, as that would make sense tbh😏

Even my stupid appetite for self inflicted pain doesn’t stretch to taking part in the LDU. These heroes have more self discipline than I can ever dream of

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, fastfreddybikes said:

Even my stupid appetite for self inflicted pain doesn’t stretch to taking part in the LDU. These heroes have more self discipline than I can ever dream of

Tha lack of seat and battery terminals likely perched just below gonad height sat like that, is what made made me think of you 🤣🤣

Edited by firebeast
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, firebeast said:

Tha lack of seat and battery terminals likely perched just below gonad height sat like that, is what made made me think of you 🤣🤣

Thanks. I have made my donation for these superheroes, and I’m proper Yorkshire 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, fastfreddybikes said:

Thanks. I have made my donation for these superheroes, and I’m proper Yorkshire 

Moths fly out ya wallet again? 

I did the same late last night,, 

Donate that is,, 👍

I am 50 next year, haven't rode for a couple of years and/or done decent mileage for lot longer than that, but it is making think about maybe having a go next year if the stars align..  Mainly as I am good at sleep depravation tbh🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, firebeast said:

Moths fly out ya wallet again? 

I did the same late last night,, 

Donate that is,, 👍

I am 50 next year, haven't rode for a couple of years and/or done decent mileage for lot longer than that, but it is making think about maybe having a go next year if the stars align..  Mainly as I am good at sleep depravation tbh🤣

We could make a semi ghey pact to do it together but my resolve always falters. When I saw steavieweavie at a pit stop once riding  a zxr400 in a paddock jacket and jeans after just binning it 2 roundabouts before it made me realise these folks who do it are vastly harder/stronger/better than I could ever dream of being. 

The guys are heading through Pitstop 2 now*

Dan was first on the mighty viffer, with a bunch of others including Ifor and Hawkati hot on his pink heels.

Weather is just about perfect by the looks :)

* Times may be slightly out in case any legal teams are on standby.

202056916_1891597021000722_8266314043027905778_n.jpg

202918510_1891597017667389_5177681857116913837_n.jpg

203109296_1891597024334055_735746109641226898_n.jpg

• Like 9

The Spirit of LDC Award goes to ride veteran Grant Torrance. It's his 25th wedding anniversary, his wife is running Pitstop 5, and he's trying to make it there to see her before midnight. let's hope the fate of the trophy isn't an omen!

892cbdcc-cd5e-43fb-9885-b55b7be4d356.jpg

• Like 13