LDU 2022 - Who's up for it?

IforB

1 hour ago, firebeast said:

What's the verdict on a tl1000s making it ? 

That will be all of the awesome.

22 minutes ago, heds954 said:

That one's more like it (and again, looked at that half an hour ago), but needs a headlight (and hope that the electrics haven't been fucked with) and a fairing, before sorting the other niggles.

dude, you are being too negative. You will be surprised how people will help with free bits over the next 11 months. Just remember  your 1st attempt at an LDD bike..these are virtual luxury compared to that

Edited by Gix
  • Like 1

It seems Facebook marketplace is the place to look for a bike. 

I know pickings are slim on ebay and gumtree

Edited by EXUPDEL
  • Like 1

Thing is, if you buy a £300 bike and then spend £200+ on tyres and chain and sprockets (as allowed in the rules), then you suddenly have a £500 bike, which is still pretty effing shit, but now has spangly tyres and C&S.

As soon as you stick £500 as a limit the field opens up nicely, and some have had the expensive stuff (tyres, chains & sprockets) done recently, and are usually much better than the £300 sea monsters.

Howabout having two limits:

£300 + budget for tyres, brakes and C&S

or

£500 all in

TBH either way, we're still relying on the honesty of the individual. Hell, you could buy a bike and get the engine blueprinted, or stick a PC3 on it and we'd be none the wiser.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gix said:

dude, you are being too negative. You will be surprised how people will help with free bits over the next 11 months. Just remember  your 1st attempt at an LDD bike..these are virtual luxury compared to that

*shudders* 😑

45 minutes ago, EXUPDEL said:

Probably because there's no point selling a £300 bike on Ebay only to lose half of it in fees

I've said this before but I think it's worth repeating. The mission is to raise money for cancer research. The £300 motorbike is loosely an interesting means by which to do it.

On the day no one really cares what was spent on the bike. Ultimately most of the bikes being used are only 2 owners away from being scrapped.

firstly the bike needs to run. Secondly needs to be safe hence the unlimited budget around brakes and tyres and a valid MOT. And lastly needs to be reliable. It will be doing at least 2000 miles for the event plus whatever shakedown miles it does. 

The £300 budget serves 2 purposes. To capture the imagination and generosity of donors and sponsors. And to stop full blown fully kitted baggers or adventure bikes being used. Using a cheap bike adds a level of adventure and jeopardy to the ride. How much jeopardy is up to you so spend accordingly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ian_H said:

Probably because there's no point selling a £300 bike on Ebay only to lose half of it in fees

Only if it gets listed in motors. If it happens to be listed in motorcycle parts-other needing repairs the fee can be as low as £3😜

2 hours ago, jaycee said:

You'd need a gofundme for the fuel! 

Well, i already had a chat with hawkati, being a veteran of the event.. Mainly, as the day after ldu and me saying a lot aboutt never finding bargains down here, I kind of stupidly  remembered I have maybe got one already... 🤔

Basically, 5 yrs ago, I found a 97tls in Essex for the current ldu amount, it was a dubious story about the owner going abroad after leaving it with a mate, who told him to get what he wanted as he wasn't coming back.. So no keys, or v5, but it had shitty cams, wasn't great and had gone down on the left lightly.. 

I got someone I know to bring it down, for a reasonable fee,  as I knew it was worth it in spares if nothing else.,, got a forum friend to sort a key for nowt, got the v5 sorted, but after initially taking it apart and buying a few bits for it, it got left in the corner of the garage due to many reasons, family mostly,, same as my riding generally over the last 5 years..  That's life though.. 

So I technically have a tl which I still don't know if it's a runner and do know that when they are left to rot it's not a good thing for the motor..  

The main issues were the disc outers were freely moving a few mm by hand, bobbins were bobbins... Got a decent replacement set cheap enough not to lose money if the motors no good, already got a set of half decent tyres which are now aging,, but suitable.. 

The forks,, the chrome has worn on the fronts, I have another set, again very very cheap, but superb condition.. 😏

Bodywork needed a couple of pieces to make it decent, but still got the originals,, so if needed for ldu I don't mind using all the originals bar the discs,, its more a case of I would genuinely prefer to ride say an ntv650 /scabby dullville, as I know they will take the punishment and would do things easily without worrying about fuel/tyres lasting and no chain to snap or motor to let go.. 😒

I reckon I would do maybe 1900 miles all in living in plymouth,, but I kind of bought it for the bargain it was but also as I haven't ever owned a proper big twin and always fancied one of these.. I haven't owned anything newer than my current 02 9r BTW, so it's also the right period bike from my early days, like the other stuff I own.. 👍

Oh and got a very cheap tired yoshi system for it as well, needing a bit of work, but wouldnt be dumb enough to use that.. 😉

So, what's the verdict? 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, EXUPDEL said:

Just the job @firebeast see you next year

🤣

🤫, I need to sort a couple of things before I can give 100% yes, but looks like the writing is on the wall tbh 👍

Edited by firebeast

3 minutes ago, EXUPDEL said:

Just the job @firebeast see you next year

Sounds about right to me! 

Obviously we don't know the exact rules that next year will be run under yet, but no-one is going to audit every penny spent. The principle is the main thing just to stop people taking the piss. 

All of us taking part are doing our best to stay within the spirit of it. It's the usual thing, just don't be a twat and all is cool. If you spend 50p over, then no-one really cares, but turn up on an obvious over budget bike and well, everyone will know! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EXUPDEL said:

Not being a fan of fb, I have started looking on there over the past few months generally and totally agree that there is a shit load of stuff out there, the biggest issue is its lack of any form of accuracy in terms of distance,instead of just nationwide etc,, correct classifications by some sellers and the occasional lack of any form of response from sellers, but it's worth doing more time there than anywhere 👍

Edit https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2894384060812472/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A827e7121-b549-4b51-8e67-1faf94015686

Doubt its still there, but it's defo worth it

Edited by firebeast
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, firebeast said:

Well, i already had a chat with hawkati, being a veteran of the event.. Mainly, as the day after ldu and me saying a lot aboutt never finding bargains down here, I kind of stupidly  remembered I have maybe got one already... 🤔

Basically, 5 yrs ago, I found a 97tls in Essex for the current ldu amount, it was a dubious story about the owner going abroad after leaving it with a mate, who told him to get what he wanted as he wasn't coming back.. So no keys, or v5, but it had shitty cams, wasn't great and had gone down on the left lightly.. 

I got someone I know to bring it down, for a reasonable fee,  as I knew it was worth it in spares if nothing else.,, got a forum friend to sort a key for nowt, got the v5 sorted, but after initially taking it apart and buying a few bits for it, it got left in the corner of the garage due to many reasons, family mostly,, same as my riding generally over the last 5 years..  That's life though.. 

So I technically have a tl which I still don't know if it's a runner and do know that when they are left to rot it's not a good thing for the motor..  

The main issues were the disc outers were freely moving a few mm by hand, bobbins were bobbins... Got a decent replacement set cheap enough not to lose money if the motors no good, already got a set of half decent tyres which are now aging,, but suitable.. 

The forks,, the chrome has worn on the fronts, I have another set, again very very cheap, but superb condition.. 😏

Bodywork needed a couple of pieces to make it decent, but still got the originals,, so if needed for ldu I don't mind using all the originals bar the discs,, its more a case of I would genuinely prefer to ride say an ntv650 /scabby dullville, as I know they will take the punishment and would do things easily without worrying about fuel/tyres lasting and no chain to snap or motor to let go.. 😒

I reckon I would do maybe 1900 miles all in living in plymouth,, but I kind of bought it for the bargain it was but also as I haven't ever owned a proper big twin and always fancied one of these.. I haven't owned anything newer than my current 02 9r BTW, so it's also the right period bike from my early days, like the other stuff I own.. 👍

Oh and got a very cheap tired yoshi system for it as well, needing a bit of work, but wouldnt be dumb enough to use that.. 😉

So, what's the verdict? 

Do it. Dooooo itttttt!

For anybody not involved this year, I can't tell you how good the group of riders has been. The Whatsapp group has been buzzing with news, pisstaking, requests for help, pisstaking, offers of help, pisstaking, offers of spares and lots of pisstaking. 

If I missed a day there could be 100 messages to catch up on.

Get a shitty but common bike. Expect it to be shitty. Expect to spend on safety items. Expect to have to put serious work into it, but have mountains of help, advice and offers of spares. That's the spirit of the event.

I think we don't give enough emphasis to the mechanical resourcefulness of many riders, in amongst the attention on the ride itself. If you saw what Hawkati tried to do to get unklefukker working, you'd know he spent far more hours on the bike than on the ride.

Remember Fatman on his 125 with a fairing attached with cable ties and hope? Flew down. Johnnymack63 on his GPz? Lots of others I could mention.

We've had the inspired lunacy of perfect bike, added fuel tanks, and the rider wearing a catheter to avoid stopping. That was admirable in a rather disturbing way.

But the rules changed specifically to avoid that approach, specifically to encourage the spirit of the event, not the letter.

Buy something cheap and shit, make it as good as it can be, accept it's still shit, ride it a long way. That's the spirit of it, for me at least, but I'm the boss of nobody. :)

• Like 5

4 hours ago, heds954 said:

That one's more like it (and again, looked at that half an hour ago), but needs a headlight (and hope that the electrics haven't been fucked with) and a fairing, before sorting the other niggles.

I like the fact that you consider having absolutely no brakes nowt but a mere niggle. That's the attitude !  :eusa_dance:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, firebeast said:

Not being a fan of fb, I have started looking on there over the past few months generally and totally agree that there is a shit load of stuff out there, the biggest issue is its lack of any form of accuracy in terms of distance,instead of just nationwide etc,, correct classifications by some sellers and the occasional lack of any form of response from sellers, but it's worth doing more time there than anywhere 👍

Edit https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2894384060812472/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A827e7121-b549-4b51-8e67-1faf94015686

Doubt its still there, but it's defo worth it

Just be ready for the abuse from the vfr haters

• Haha 2

I have two mates who want to do it next year.

Both are looking for bikes.