LDU 2022 - Who's up for it?

IforB

1 minute ago, IforB said:

What time did you get in? 

We ended up at the post at around 3.30am.  The motion problems were weird as. It was like if you had got off a ferry after 24 hours 🤣

4 minutes ago, cuban pete said:

We ended up at the post at around 3.30am.  The motion problems were weird as. It was like if you had got off a ferry after 24 hours 🤣

Oh yes, it is like your internal gyros get scrambled! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

Provided that I am not banned for speeding from this event.

A couple of miles out from the hotel at Lands End is the 1st speed camera... Last time I went through there I was the tailend of a brace of fast moving CBR's and it was like a lightning strike. The NIP was waiting when I arrived home. Sorry , could not have been me as on that day I was in Northern most Scotchland, look, here is my fuel receipt from Inverness 😁 Case closed !

On another note... I am in for next year, bike already purchased. SRAD 600 bought for £350 but have sold the race subframe for £100 so I have 50 quid spare. Also have a rentec grab rail and a rentec rack that came with it that can be sold

But if anyone is wanting a decent bike, check here https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/536028804220749/?media_id=0&ref=share_attachment

• Like 5

I've already said never again twice so I can't be doing with making promises either way now. I'd like it if my mates woukd stop dropping dead though.

The event has turned into a mobster fundraiser and that's absolutely the reason for carrying on. Besides which I was gutted not to do it on the unklefukker and I'd like to give that a whirl again. A set of straight handlebars arrived yesterday, perfect for making it marginally more comfy!

The route was nigh on perfect. If you're focused on a series of lethal bends then your mind can't dwell on pain. That really matters - the a9 bypass with average cameras is hellishly dull leading to an existentialist study of suffering. 

Last minute decision to bail from the conventional get up of bks race suit and unlined waterproofs. Used it loads of times before and very comfortable it is too. This time I used dainese textile jacket and leather jeans (bit tight behind the knee leading to much Rossi style leg waving)

2 x pairs of summer gloves. Bks and my old favourite furygans. Great.

Took about 300 miles for the jeans to dry out from the initial deluge, and I reckon another week from the return journey which was frankly horrible.

The only possible reason for not doing it is selfish - the cost of doing it would get me a damn good grand tour of Europe.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IforB said:

It was the ride home and the reaction I have from putting the bike away that has convinced me to do it again. I feel like a cat on a hot tin roof. Constantly thinking about it, trying to work out how to do it better, what do I need to replace etc. 

This is what it is all about.... proper type 2 fun!!!!!!!! ( type 1 being going to the pub, shopping, going on the pull etc ) or that is how I see it. 

Great for the mental health is another reason. There are so many more positives to doing the ride or even just helping at the LDU. Gives the mind and body a good work out, gives it another purpose etc.

• Like 1

OK, not the British thing to do, but I'll ask - how much did you spend on the ride itself? 

i.e. entry fee, petrol, food, hotels, speeding fines, kit for the trip?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IforB said:

What time did you get in? 

3:30am

I'm pretty sure I have a bike, it just needs an engine, carbs and ECU 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: I have a couple of engines, just not for that bike...but maybe 🤔

Edited by hylar1000
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, IforB said:

🤣

I suppose it is like child birth. It's a horrendous experience really, but yet people do it again and again! 

3213.jpg?width=1200&height=900&quality=8

60092509e1dfa2db83d505f9bcbd13a6.jpg

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, blow_away said:

OK, not the British thing to do, but I'll ask - how much did you spend on the ride itself? 

i.e. entry fee, petrol, food, hotels, speeding fines, kit for the trip?

Not quite the horrendous amount I spent when I used the 996, but it's £300 to take part,  a similar amount for the bike (and the rest- new tyres & brake pads were another £200) and fuel is a hell of a lot there & back again. Call it a conservative £1k minimum?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, hawkati said:

Not quite the horrendous amount I spent when I used the 996, but it's £300 to take part,  a similar amount for the bike (and the rest- new tyres & brake pads were another £200) and fuel is a hell of a lot there & back again. Call it a conservative £1k minimum?

I'd agree with that. I reckon all in I have spent a bit over a grand when you take into account fuel, insurance, tax, hotel, food etc on top of the bike cost. 

11 minutes ago, IforB said:

I'd agree with that. I reckon all in I have spent a bit over a grand when you take into account fuel, insurance, tax, hotel, food etc on top of the bike cost. 

£300 entry.

£260 fuel + ferry £9.

£297 bike 

£5 for a pint at the hotel, cos actually serving people was obviously beyond the ‘restaurants’ capabilities.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, TKDMitch said:

We have around half a dozen expressions of interest from people who followed us on Faceberk etc

A bunch of lads on a biking holiday in Scotland got chatting to us at P4. They'd stopped at P3 on the way up, then saw me walk past their hotel with the t-shirt on. They each donated and started looking for bikes for next year. 

• Like 7

23 hours ago, jaycee said:

A bunch of lads on a biking holiday in Scotland got chatting to us at P4. They'd stopped at P3 on the way up, then saw me walk past their hotel with the t-shirt on. They each donated and started looking for bikes for next year. 

I may just have had a message from them :)

• Like 2

My name's been put down for next year. The search for a suitable steed is in progress.

Somehow, seeing some of you miserable fuckers at PS3 has convinced me that it's a good idea ^_^

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, firebeast said:

Sounds like next year could be a bigger number of riders unless there is a limit? 

The limit is accommodation.

I won't be able to do the run next year but I'm up for doing another pitstop again. 

• Like 4

I want to do it, 2023 is the target for me. Sticking rigidly to a plan to be in a position to buy a house in 2022 so quite simply the funds aren’t there. However once all that nonsense is out of the way I’ll be seeking something like @cuban pete’s ZZR, and getting my name down.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

The limit is accommodation.

Aye, I think JM was also saying the sheer number of riders was a logistical nightmare on the day too. I suspect that 30+ riders is simply too much really. It's wonderful, but when things go wonky (as is inevitable) then that many people is just too much without a lot more logistical support. 

7 minutes ago, heds954 said:

So I'll be needing that Airhawk back @IforB

It's in the box and will be winging it's way back soon!

• Thanks 1

Only just spotted this thread. Where do I sign up?

I had already decided I want to do LDU 2022 when I checked in at JoG this year. Absolutely loved this year's ride Glad I got to John o'groats with Ifor Phil Paul and Ben.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SWTH said:

I want to do it, 2023 is the target for me. Sticking rigidly to a plan to be in a position to buy a house in 2022 so quite simply the funds aren’t there. However once all that nonsense is out of the way I’ll be seeking something like @cuban pete’s ZZR, and getting my name down.

Although the zzr rocked it, if it was the same route again I would take a 600. 

Better on fuel, lighter to throw around and would no doubt cover the ground at a similar  rate of knots. 

I'm kidding myself, the zzr was intoxicating and I would take it again 😁

Edited by cuban pete
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, cuban pete said:

Although the zzr rocked it, if it was the same route again I would take a 600. 

Better on fuel, lighter to throw around and would no doubt cover the ground at a similar  rate of knots. 

I'm kidding myself, the zzr was intoxicating and I would take it again 😁

I can confirm that it would

• Haha 1