LDUGPZ900R

Thunderbolt

Maybe running low on fuel pulled some crud out of the bottom of the tank into the carbs? Or you were unlucky and got a poor batch of fuel? Maybe it doesn't like E10?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blow_away said:

Maybe running low on fuel pulled some crud out of the bottom of the tank into the carbs? Or you were unlucky and got a poor batch of fuel? Maybe it doesn't like E10?

There is a coarse filter around the tap, so I am hoping no large lumps came through, but a build up of fine stuff is a possibility.

The tank is not the best.

I hope to get some time to have a look at it this weekend.

• Like 1

Fingers crossed Calum, all six of em as I am in the Fens 😂

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

So from bad to worse as we now have a GPZ450R.

Carbs have been off several times, cleaned with carb cleaner and blend through with an air line, they are as knackered as the rest of the bike but inside they are clean, worn but clean.

Plugs out and cleaned.

Plug caps, swapped for spare donated by another GPZ900R owner, and we have decent sparks. Swapping coils over has no effect either.

Compression is low at 118, 120, 110 & 120, she blows past the rings. Leak down shows this too.

I will play around with her more.

Work the problem.

• Sad 4

On 5/22/2021 at 8:08 PM, Thunderbolt said:

So from bad to worse as we now have a GPZ450R.

Carbs have been off several times, cleaned with carb cleaner and blend through with an air line, they are as knackered as the rest of the bike but inside they are clean, worn but clean.

Plugs out and cleaned.

Plug caps, swapped for spare donated by another GPZ900R owner, and we have decent sparks. Swapping coils over has no effect either.

Compression is low at 118, 120, 110 & 120, she blows past the rings. Leak down shows this too.

I will play around with her more.

Work the problem.

Thicker engine oil!

11 minutes ago, cuban pete said:

Ignition pick up or coil breaking down when hot ? 

I don’t think so as I swapped the coils and the pick up is clean, gapped correctly and is OK on resistance.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Basil said:

Thicker engine oil!

What about some creosote?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

I don’t think so as I swapped the coils and the pick up is clean, gapped correctly and is OK on resistance.

Does it do it off the bat or when it gets warm? 😊

9 minutes ago, cuban pete said:

Does it do it off the bat or when it gets warm? 😊

Off the bat and it continues as it warms up to temp.

3 & 4 

if it was 1 & 4 or 2 & 3 I would be looking at coils.

Pilots are clean, carbs are clean but worn. I would have gone down the road of of some short in the pilot’s but on two? And I have cleaned and cleaned.

the needles have ovalled the jet holders, hence the rich ness.

carbs are fed fuel to 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 so I went down the fuel supply and joint fuel vent thought process as well.

My mate said bad fuel but I have run a tank through since.

3 is the lowest compression and weakest on leak down, but I have seen these run on much worse.

It will be something stupid.

29 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Off the bat and it continues as it warms up to temp.

3 & 4 

if it was 1 & 4 or 2 & 3 I would be looking at coils.

Pilots are clean, carbs are clean but worn. I would have gone down the road of of some short in the pilot’s but on two? And I have cleaned and cleaned.

the needles have ovalled the jet holders, hence the rich ness.

carbs are fed fuel to 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 so I went down the fuel supply and joint fuel vent thought process as well.

My mate said bad fuel but I have run a tank through since.

3 is the lowest compression and weakest on leak down, but I have seen these run on much worse.

It will be something stupid.

Do the headers for 3 and 4 get warm or do they stay stone cold with no combustion at all ? 

Got to love old bikes... 

55 minutes ago, cuban pete said:

Do the headers for 3 and 4 get warm or do they stay stone cold with no combustion at all ? 

Got to love old bikes... 

Here is the anomaly, when it first started playing up it was getting them all warm but #2 was cooler.

Since it has become a GPZ450R 3 & 4 are stone cold, I wish they would chime in and then I would think it has to be fuel to the right hand pair of carbs but they don’t chime in.

The cams are worn, clearances are in spec, timing is as close to the marks as I can be with this cam chain, but I haven’t DTI’d them.

Plugs are too dark, but that is I think due to the wear on them, think dark chocolate not black, but GPZ’s are fairly tolerant of mixture, just don’t go too lean, I don’t want to drop the needles.

Chokes aren’t stuck.

Chokes seal when closed.

Bowls did have some muck in them but not a lot.

When I took my A1 to Greece the carbs were a hell of a state after and these are ten times cleaner.

float heights are good to 2mm. And the worst is #2 which is the current best pot.

Carb vents are clear, even took the tubes off.

It has to be something stupid.

16 hours ago, blow_away said:

Try new spark plugs?

Will blow my budget.

Carbs off again tonight, cleaned again.

Too late to start the bike up, we will see tomorrow.

• Like 1

How many trips to the moon has this thing done again?

Have you checked for Klingons on starboard bow as it might be that?

1 hour ago, cuban pete said:

The laws of physics care not for such things 🤣

Too true.

I am going for the ‘Italian tune up’ method tomorrow and doing an early morning blast.

I moved the bike so I don’t have to move the Mrs car in the morning and it started as a 675 and went on to be an 787.5.

Tomorrow I will see if the remaining 112.5 can be found.

Edited by Thunderbolt
Can’t add up Scullion
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

So, I woke up early and was on the road for 7.
Destination 
http://www.kingfisherholidaypark.co.uk/the-cafe/
To meet birthday boy Alan and other GPZ900R owners.
 Bike started on 3.5 and off we went.
Number four chiming in for short periods at the start.
Bristol to Gloucester, I hate Gloucesters roads as the sign posting is woeful and inevitably I exit Gloucester on the s wrong road.
I am now cold and cross.
North of Gloucester, I catch a kit car, I can smell race fuel long before I can make out what it is, the number plate has 13USA (BUSA) and it is a nippy thing, the roads north of Gloucester are nice, a bit like the Shropshire roads on leg 2 to Bathams last year. Then an AM vanquish joins us for a bit.
A combination of race fuel smell, being cold, cross about being lost in Gloucester and some rapid company, means the full Italian with Extra Pepperoni is on.
Now I don’t know what exactly occurred, whether I am tuning in to the bike, or it is running better, but we get a good pace and it is running better, not perfect, but I can nurse it when it needs and we manage a respectable pace.
Tewkesbury, Worcester and into Birmingham, where the clouds are covering the city and spots of rain appear, cold and wet and I curse myself for not having a over jacket.
Then it rains, just a shower 🧼, cold and wet.
Stop for petrol.
It stops raining and I crack on to the cafe.
I get a bit lost at the end and stop and ask some Tractor/Victory riders for final directions.
At the cafe, Andy’s Mrs, is shocked I am shivering as they have come down from Manchester in glorious sunshine.
Andy buys me a greasy breakfast and a mug 🍵 of tea.
115 miles, 3hrs 15minutes.

• Like 5

The run back.

If this isn’t boring you?

After looking at the immaculate GPZ900R’s the others had arrived on, the LDUGPZ900R was not the prettiest, but sounded the best and we were off.

Into Brum, I didn’t get lost! and made reasonable progress to Worcester. A blue car, Civic Type R, doesn’t like being over taken and does a cheap block pass in a 40 limit.
My dear boy, my 36 year old £300 bike is out for an Italian tune up part 2, where is that redline, oh yes, here it is in first, second and third, where is your expensive car? 
A long way behind, that’s where.
On to Tewkesbury, then lost on Gloucester again, before the run home and a splash and dash.
Despite the Civic shenanigans, 3.5 hrs, bugger.

I wonder if we can have the rooms on the 22nd cos, if I get much slower, I will be arriving when the rest of the LDU riders are leaving for home.

• Like 6

On 5/28/2021 at 9:05 PM, Thunderbolt said:

Will blow my budget

Well if your Italian tune up hasn't worked I'll "donate" a set, if it's within the rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, noely02 said:

Well if your Italian tune up hasn't worked I'll "donate" a set, if it's within the rules.

The Italian tune up has had a positive effect, it has to be accepted though that the bike, like it’s rider are old and knackered.

I just need to get used to it’s peculiarities and ride around it.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Decent run today after passing MoT yesterday.

Just a question now of riding round the bikes foibles.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

Just a question now of riding round the bikes foibles.

Wet greasy roundabouts at 2am with that 16inch front wheel.... Oh how I remember those:eusa_dance:💩:dribble:

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, jollygiant said:

Wet greasy roundabouts at 2am with that 16inch front wheel.... Oh how I remember those:eusa_dance:💩:dribble:

I don’t mind the 16” front wheel, on my A1 I trusted it completely.

On this one, it is a tad interesting, but it’s a £300 bike.

my favourite is the speed wobble due to the knackered suspension 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

my favourite is the speed wobble due to the knackered suspension 

Those stickers are guaranteed* to cure all your handling woes.

*They’re not.**

** You’ll just look cooler crashing it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...