Teach me about suspension

CRM

3 minutes ago, Damnthistinleg said:

Which is correct but I think we're discussing slightly different things.

I think we are - the OP said he only had 20mm static sag which is a lot less than whats generally regarded as the default road setting on a sportsbike - 30mm. I can't think of anything easier than reducing the preload to give that amount and riding the bike to see if it improves things. Once he's tried that he can start looking at loaded sags, changing springs if necessary and fine tuning the bike to suit him.

2 hours ago, CRM said:

My 45 the settings are
There is 15mm sticking out the top of the yokes 
the top screw brass thing is 5 clicks back (it was 4 but there was another click once you worked it a couple of times)
the bottom screw brass thing is also 5 clicks back
there are 4 rungs showing on the preload adjusters on the forks (22 mm nut)

Now according this this the 45 should only have 

image.png.6a942ff944edbae700179eca9ed1a6a1.png

Is that how they leave the factory and have you got it set like that now?

I’m quite surprised that standard factory settings show that the standard kit is almost out of rebound adjustment! How many clicks of adjustment is available?

Edited by David W

3 hours ago, David W said:

Is that how they leave the factory and have you got it set like that now?

I’m quite surprised that standard factory settings show that the standard kit is almost out of rebound adjustment! How many clicks of adjustment is available?

there are about 15 clicks top and bottom and around 15 turns of the preload adjusters

• 1 month later...

Right - bit of an update from the nice gents at Maxton.
RC30#1

Rear shock
As expected way too softly sprung and had also lost some gas in 13 or so years. 
Shock been resprung to suit my weight, and rebuilt using new seals and ride height set correctly,
Apparently there was something like 3 x too much static sag hence why it felt like a dog draqgging its arse and flip flopping into corners from the front.
Now has less sag and ride height set to racing measurements (more up to date than the standard setting) and catering for the 17" rear wheel.

Front forks
Serviced and refreshed. 
There was some note about the airgap being much less than it should be resulting in less travel. turns out the forks show minor pitting at the very top so he thinks this has been done to stop the fork travelling into that area of the fork which is fine for road and light track use.
So these have been put back as they were with fresh fluid and seals and optimised for the travel area.

I always felt the front forks were just about right and the draggy front end was more because of the rear squat. 

The bike feels taller now and more poised to sit on. god i love this bike just putting it back together today, what a bike to work on, everything about them is just so nice. 

I will report back after its first test ride and outing. 

• Like 3