Moar Jigsaw

hawkati

Two hours of juggling connectors and head butting wiring loom today and still no spark. Not quite the plug and play I was looking for. Decent earth, engine turning over by bypassing ignition and applying pliers to starter solenoid. Wondering if ignition barrel is fucked because it certainly looks it. I'll rip the ignition off the hawk and try that.

Meanwhile,  in true atilla the hun engineering,  I've sorted a wheel spacer with an angle grinder. It works just fine.

Sheltering from vile drizzle now, watching bsb, ready to go at it again. The bastard. 

2019-05-26_12-57-20

• 2 weeks later...

Photo op this morning after nightshift- they wanted summat for publicity from everyone, so this is as good as it gets atm

2019-06-04_07-35-47

Oh, and I added shiney goodness. Goldie looking chain.

2019-06-03_04-43-44

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Gix said:

but does it run yet James?...............

only 3 weeks left 🙄

shutupshutupshutup!

Major concern. got an absolute work frenzy until tuesday then a whole 4 days off so i'll be probably making a new loom at this rate, or at least bypassing the highly suspect ignition barrel.

• Like 1

The barrel won't be stopping sparks though? 

You need pulse generators to be saying "fire".

Do you have them connected and tested to be right?

I bought a broken nc30 once upon a time.  It spun over but no go.  Traced to broken (cut) pulse generator wire.  Fixed that and it was fired up in two mins.  .  . . This showed the bottom end was toast.  Rumble clank. 

So.  Fix your pulse generators shizzle. 

• Thanks 1

James, more than happy to come up and give you a hand, give me a shout. 

Edited by blow_away
I'll bring matches
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you muchly- getting this long weekend of work over I've got a fair amount of time off before the event so hoping to crack it. @blow_away - thank you. I will call if needs be.

Really enjoying your progress and updates, the triumphant shriek of the exhaust will be worth all the frustration (I hope).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, motoTrooper said:

Really enjoying your progress and updates, the triumphant shriek of the exhaust will be worth all the frustration (I hope).

That'll be the shriek of torn metal as I rip the zorst off and beat the bike with it, basil fawlty style!😂😂😂😂

Today a bit of a frenzy. Fan, horn, ignitor box, neutral switch, oil pressure, clutch switch, instruments, blahdeblah fitted. Still no fucking spark. 

Speedo etc fastened by old meccano & cable ties. I shit y'all not.

2019-06-06_02-50-042019-06-06_03-13-14

Oh goody - there's leccy!

There must be - it's there somewhere, shorting out. I've blown half a dozen main fuses in the last hour and still can't trace the short.

Cock.

It's the inflatable croc for me!

Dude. The sparks are hiding under that engine case where the pulse generator thing is loose or not connected. 

A little bird told me.  Check them out. 

You know it makes sense

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, CMSMJ1 said:

Dude. The sparks are hiding under that engine case where the pulse generator thing is loose or not connected. 

A little bird told me.  Check them out. 

You know it makes sense

On it like a plate tectonic. That's not the only leccy issue - it's blowing fuses everywhere and nothing else like indicators or lights are working, though it turns over if you short the starter solenoid and the fan fires up regardless!😂😂😂😂

1 hour ago, blow_away said:

Legendary Honda reliability. 

Bloody myth that, only vehicles I've had blowups with have been Honda's!! First the nc23, a 600rr and my Integra type r ate some valves on the a38 as well! The nc23 even tried to set fire to itself twice as well thinking about it 😂

Check the plug from the right hand switchgear. I had a thing on the bros a couple of days back where the whole bike seemed dead, but when you shorted the starter solenoid it'd turn over but not fire. It was simply that a plug had come out. I'm guessing that Hondas design philosophy when it came to wiring was all pretty similar at this point in time, so the problem might be based around there. The symptoms were that it was dead on the starter button, nothing at all, also the lights didn't come on and the clocks wouldn't illuminate. It looked for all intents and purposes that the ignition barrel wasn't powering anything up, but without looking at the wiring schematic, I'd guess that the barrel earths itself via the switchgear, or at least via the same plug. Anyway, have a look at plugs and stuff.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Check the plug from the right hand switchgear. I had a thing on the bros a couple of days back where the whole bike seemed dead, but when you shorted the starter solenoid it'd turn over but not fire. It was simply that a plug had come out. I'm guessing that Hondas design philosophy when it came to wiring was all pretty similar at this point in time, so the problem might be based around there. The symptoms were that it was dead on the starter button, nothing at all, also the lights didn't come on and the clocks wouldn't illuminate. It looked for all intents and purposes that the ignition barrel wasn't powering anything up, but without looking at the wiring schematic, I'd guess that the barrel earths itself via the switchgear, or at least via the same plug. Anyway, have a look at plugs and stuff.

Cheers - that sounds very much like the thing. Now the loom is live it's possible I've solved that since I've had the connections apart and cleaned several times. If I can solve it shirting our and blowing fuses, which it wasn't doing before, then there's just a chance it will work.

@hawkati - back to basics on the spark....what is built into the donor loom to cut spark - run/stop switch ? side stand switch ? side stand switch/clutch switch combo like a gsxr ?

Which run/stop switch are you using ? One from the donor engine/loom bike ?  or one from this bike ? If the latter do the run/stop switches work the same ? Have you tried looking for spark in both run and stop positions ? For example RG500 engines/looms swapped into an RGV250 have the run/stop switch back to front if memory serves me!

Stator ground....my RG500 with the stator removed/unplugged stops a key loom ground from grounding through the stator back plate hence it needs to have one of the pins on the stator plugged wired to ground to let the loom power the cdi and allow the bike to run with stator  removed/unplugged.

Does the CDI have power ?

Is the ignition pickup connected and visually it/wiring look ok ?

Regardless....I would certainly take a few grounds from the front and rear of the loom (front headlight ground & rear light ground for example) and wire them directly to the negative terminal of the battery. This will make sure the loom has good grounding from both ends in case there are any ground issue hidden away internally within the loom.

Dan :)

• Thanks 1

@dannn - cheers muchly. Bit of progress - found main fuse next to starter solenoid had corroded to hell & back. Sorted now so bike is no longer leccy dead. Instead it's blowing the main fuse constantly since it's shorting out elsewhere. I'll go through loom again and see what's causing that. In theory, if that's solved then it should be a goer.

2019-06-06_03-13-14

Edited by hawkati
Pic.
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, hawkati said:

@dannn - cheers muchly. Bit of progress - found main fuse next to starter solenoid had corroded to hell & back. Sorted now so bike is no longer leccy dead. Instead it's blowing the main fuse constantly since it's shorting out elsewhere. I'll go through loom again and see what's causing that. In theory, if that's solved then it should be a goer.

2019-06-06_03-13-14

Hasn't it only started popping fuses since you plugged up the clocks etc? If so, unplug them and fuck 'em off, they're not needed, not for the LDD at least, but you do need an engine that runs, make that the priority, surely? Then, if it's all getting a bit tight, a £15 sigma push bike speedo will work up to 150mph and only require a magnet and a bit of araldite.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lorenzo said:

Hasn't it only started popping fuses since you plugged up the clocks etc? If so, unplug them and fuck 'em off, they're not needed, not for the LDD at least, but you do need an engine that runs, make that the priority, surely? Then, if it's all getting a bit tight, a £15 sigma push bike speedo will work up to 150mph and only require a magnet and a bit of araldite.

good plan stan. Cheers!

i cracked on with wiring up a lot of other stuff, like fan, instruments, front brake light, oil pressure, neutral etc - i'm off to halfrauds later to get a big big box of main fuses, take everything off and reconnect one at a time to see which things blow fuses. Had a chat with a aircraft/car/bike tech mate and he's suggested disconnecting the starter motor first since that's the kind of thing that draws the power most likely to blow a main fuse. If no joy by wed eve i'll be taking the bike to his place so we can collectively give it a shoeing till it works.

• Like 2

Rather than waste money of fuses which will just blow without revealing the location of the fault why not use a piece of steel rod (about 6mm diameter should do) then the location of the fault will quickly reveal itself. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Herr V. said:

Rather than waste money of fuses which will just blow without revealing the location of the fault why not use a piece of steel rod (about 6mm diameter should do) then the location of the fault will quickly reveal itself. 🤣

48055876483_88a72a4272.jpg2019-06-13_04-13-15 by james serjeant, on Flickr

Done that - it's the 15 amp fuse thaty does ignition/fuel pump/starter motor. If i bung a 30 amp fuse in it blows the main fuse. So, in order, i remove said items to see which is still causing blow ups. if all are off the bike then somewhere in the loom it's still shorting out, which wouldn't surprise me at all. Praying it's not the ignitor box cos i don;t have the time or money to replace.

Bunging touring tyres on the 996 tomorrow, just in case.

• Haha 1

tick, tock, tick, tick

Oh and remember , "there's no smoke without fire" 

If you get it running get a bigger bag of fuses for the run

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Herr V. said:

tick, tock, tick, tick

Oh and remember , "there's no smoke without fire" 

If you get it running get a bigger bag of fuses for the run

If it gets through the next four days without me setting fire to it, then it will be a very very lucky bike.

I might well persevere with this fukker after ldd even if it doesn't take part - it's got a superb frame and swingarm, and if i bunged on a more robust set of forks then it might well cope with what i'm plotting - a blade 929/954 engine (with a decent loom - money less of an issue once beyond ldd remit)

Watch this space or that one in bikes & builds section.

Edited by hawkati
  • Like 1