Simple DIY bead breaker

scwirral

Copied the two bits of wood method today, this time braced underneath a horse trailer... (wifey was well pleased).

Worked great at breaking the bead, but getting the tyres off was tough esp the rear - more practice needed here.

Just a good job I'm getting the wheel powder coated...

I also had a go with the two bits of wood method, and it worked a treat.

Only problem is im stuck now, I broke the bead, and then used tyre levers to take the tire off the rim on the side I broke the bead, but the other side is still attached and i can get it to move. Do i need to dig out my bit of wood and break the bead on the other side too? Ive been watching youtube vids and it looks like people are only breaking one side. Have i missed something important?

edit: figured it out now, got the wood back out, and hey presto, tyre cme off! good times!

• 2 weeks later...

Get yourselves a proper bucket of tyre soap, cheap as fuck, and handily,makes tyre fitting lots easier!!

As for getting the tyre to seat on the bead when inflating with a compressor,try standing the wheel up,and lightly bouncing it on the floor,it gives the beads just a nanosecond of contact with the rim,enough for the air to pop it on.

Rob.

Get yourselves a proper bucket of tyre soap, cheap as fuck, and handily,makes tyre fitting lots easier!!

As for getting the tyre to seat on the bead when inflating with a compressor,try standing the wheel up,and lightly bouncing it on the floor,it gives the beads just a nanosecond of contact with the rim,enough for the air to pop it on.

Rob.

Take the valve out of the stem too to allow the air to get into the tyre faster, then once the bead has popped on emove the inflator and screw the valve back in and reinflate

Inspired by this thread, i recently made myself a bead breaker, using the one at the beggining of this thread as reference, and had practice go at breaking the bead on an old wheel.

After this proved succesefull, i ordered some levers, a valve stem remover, rim protectors and a pack of adhesive weights ( got the smallest i could get, £12 and i must have enough to last me a lifetime ) - all in all cost me about £30

Had a go this afternoon and success!!! Worked out perfect!

Tried popping the bead back on with one of the little 12v cigarette lighter powered compressors to no avail, so whipped up the local garage, and 50p later the tyre was seated!

Cant describe how good it feels to know that from now on, im not going to have to pay to get my tyres changed. And this was all managed with no special tools, bar the tyre levers, on the street in just a couple hours.

• 3 months later...

Rob.

Agreed. Don't use Fairy Liquid etc as it causes corrosion of the wheel

• 2 weeks later...

You can break the bead with a big vice, but some (front especially) tyres are a bit of a bitch to get on even with proper kit.

• 1 month later...

If your struggling to fit a new tyre back on the rim, a trick i heard is to put 4 big cable ties around the tyre, (through the middle and over the tread NOT around the circumfrence) thus forcing the two beads together. the tyre pops on the rim both beads at once, remove cable ties, jobs a goodn.

• 1 year later...

For years I used a wood vice

1226%20No52.5%20E%20record%20vice.JPG

Which worked well up to a 160 rear and I could just about do bigger tyres.

Now i've moved I no longer have that so it's one of these

spade.jpg

I've never been able to take break the bead with a spade before, finally figured it out last night. You need to put the wheel down flat on the floor, but against a wall, then take a leap of faith onto the spade and off the bead pops. Even managed to do two car tyres last night that i've never been able to do before :D

How many other household implements have you tried until you chanced across the spade?

Why not try lighter fuel to pump you;re tyre up, it works in the North Pole apparently. lol

we use this at work to put the bobcat tyres back on the rim doesn't have to be lighter fluid, we use expanding foam cleaner would imagine wd40 etc would work just as well

Can you please explain how you do this.

I understand that the air inside the tyre expands when it is heated but where do you put the poropelent and how do you set it alite.

WD40 would not work, it is not volotile enough but brake cleaner is the way forward. The bead has to be close to the rim though. If there is a big gap it wont work. Makes a nice woofing noise though.

The most reliable is the compressor with the valve removed way. Then bounce until it just makes a seal and the compressed air does the rest.

foot pump has worked fine for me every time.

I used to use a footpump, but now use a 12v compressor running off the fag lighter

Plug it in, sit down and have a tab - takes a while, but gives a chance for a rest and a cuppa

Only ever had one tyre that needed a forecourt airline - and I had to take that to over 80psi to pop the bead.

Can you please explain how you do this.

I understand that the air inside the tyre expands when it is heated but where do you put the poropelent and how do you set it alite.

did the sons zxr 160 rear last night this way used what i had to hand which was wurth silicon spray ( yes i know silicone spray is not ideal in case it gets on the tyre etc) push the straw under the tyre give a squirt for a couple of seconds ,stand back from the rim, aim with the straw at the bead and squirt while introducing a lighter to make a flame thowing type device

• johnnymack63 unpinned this topic

Archived