Simple DIY bead breaker

scwirral

OK, so I've got a 98 Blade with a 16inch front. I'm aiming to do the conversion to 17inch front soon. But If I do, I'll be getting the wheels repainted or recoated sooner or later. All this could involve quite a few tyre swaps, and when done I don't want no YTS trainee scratching my shiny new rims. Inspired by our resident medic's high cost solution to wheel balancing....

IMG_0055.jpg

I thought I'd have a go at making a bead breaker. Tried it this afternoon AND IT BLOODY WELL WORKS! GO ME!

DSC00278Medium.jpg

The long 'lever' is 900mm long (because that is how long the offcut I found was), with the hole drilled 650mm from the 'handle'

The short 'pusher' is 500mm long with the hole I used just to pop the bead on a front wheel I had in the garage 200mm from the 'pointy' end. As you can see in the photo, I drilled a couple of other holes incase my first guess didn't work very well. It did!

My next refinement is to make a bit of a handle shape in the 500mm length.

As this is a precision instrument, I pushed the boat right out and put a washer in between the two bits of wood!

DSC00280Medium.jpg

The photo was staged just after my first attempt at bead breaking. What you can't see is that the bench I was using as a lever point wasn't heavy enough and started to lift, so I'm gonna screw a big block of 2x2 or whatever else I find at about the same height on a spare bit of garage wall to use instead.

The offcuts used are solid oak from a flash relative's new refurb. If you wanted to use cheap softwood, you may need to use thicker sections.

I had a quick go at levering the tyre, but I am using carved up poly milk bottle as rim protectors, and have decided to stop until I can get some proper rim protectors, as I think they will do a better job of looking after the rims, and that the bulk they give to the 'rim' will help lever the tyre off.

I also need to raid the kitchen for some fairy liquid, as I know that will help in my quest.

Please chip in with tips / ideas / advice. Will I finally be able to pop the tyre back onto the rim without a proper compressor?

Will I finally be able to pop the tyre back onto the rim without a proper compressor?

Yup, it's possible. With alot of dishwashing soap and a bike pump. I did it in the middel of nowhere. Only i cut the old tyre off with a stanley knife.

DSC00280Medium.jpg

good kung fu slipper skillz. Are they essential to the whole bead breaking process, or would any suitable footwear do?

Cool, eh. I was waiting for some smart arse comment about the content of my garage, in fact I re-shot the pic because I noticed an old pair of latex gimp gloves lookin like a used johnny in the background!

DSC00280Medium.jpg

The photo was staged just after my first attempt at bead breaking. What you can't see is that the bench I was using as a lever point wasn't heavy enough and started to lift, so I'm gonna screw a big block of 2x2 or whatever else I find at about the same height on a spare bit of garage wall to use instead.

The sills on your car are probably a handy height for doing that!

You can do about 9 out of 10 tyres with a hand/footpump, jam the tyre up against the wall and push on where it leaks out air to help it seal, mind those fingers!

The photo was staged just after my first attempt at bead breaking. What you can't see is that the bench I was using as a lever point wasn't heavy enough and started to lift

Hence why the proper thing is better

http://www.abbastands.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=11

If you own a welder and a lathe they are a piece of piss to make

Screwfix sell M20 all thread & M20 nuts

Please chip in with tips / ideas / advice. Will I finally be able to pop the tyre back onto the rim without a proper compressor?

Its possible, I used to do it with a foot pump buts its hit and miss and require a lot of luck

then I started taking them to the local garage, but they started restricting the air pressure on H&S grounds

Then I bought a compressor - best thing I ever bought

Get yourself a compressor from Machine Mart

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/...r-compressors-2

If you own a welder and a lathe they are a piece of piss to make

Screwfix sell M20 all thread & M20 nuts

Its possible, I used to do it with a foot pump buts its hit and miss and require a lot of luck

then I started taking them to the local garage, but they started restricting the air pressure on H&S grounds

Then I bought a compressor - best thing I ever bought

Get yourself a compressor from Machine Mart

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/...r-compressors-2

I just use the ole plug-in-the-fag-lighter compressor in the car.Wind it up to 70 psi and light a tab :(

I just use the ole plug-in-the-fag-lighter compressor in the car.Wind it up to 70 psi and light a tab :(

sometimes its needs the quick dump of air that only a reservoir of a compressor can deliver in order to seat the bead of the tyre and allow it to inflate, otherwise the air just escapes past the unseated bead.

If you can do it with one of them 12V things then good on you

I've no doubt that this would be a MUCH better tool, but even if you had the welding gear and a lathe, it would still take a bit of time and some steel offcuts.

I've got an old scissor jack stashed away to donate its threaded parts to this sort of tool at some point in the future when I finally learn how to do welding that actually sticks.....

I'd love a compressor, and have included one quite high up my wish list. Fortunately my brother in law only lives a couple of miles away and he has one, so that sorts my interim solution nicely.

Many thanks for all the ideas, team :thumbsup:

My rim protectors arrived yesterday, so will report back on my progress after the weekend. If I can make it all work, I'll just need to get hold of some balancer weights before I can consider myself equipped to DIY tyre change.

OMG, got the tyre off the rim, but it makes giving birth (with the right equipment, natch) look really easy. That's never gonna fit through there etc.

Next job, try and get the fubber back on to improve my technique enough before I get the balls to give it a try on my Blade.

Initially I forgot to lube it all up with the old fairly liquid and it wasn't having any. Makes a big difference a bit of lube :D

sometimes its needs the quick dump of air that only a reservoir of a compressor can deliver in order to seat the bead of the tyre and allow it to inflate, otherwise the air just escapes past the unseated bead.

If you can do it with one of them 12V things then good on you

I've only ever had one tyre that wouldn't seat with either a footpump or a 12v compressor - it was a BT-021 and the carcass on those is proper stiff.

I was gonna make a little wheel balancer, but in the end used the rear wheel spindle for balancing - there's enough room each end to get a bearing on and just sit the bearings on axle stands.I removed the shields from the bearings, degreased them to minimise drag and with a very gentle spin the wheel kept going for ages - it's really sensitive.

If I can make it all work, I'll just need to get hold of some balancer weights before I can consider myself equipped to DIY tyre change.

don't buy them Buster's or M&P or anywhere like that

I get my tyre changing consumables from here http://www.tyrebaydirect.com/

don't buy them Buster's or M&P or anywhere like that

I get my tyre changing consumables from here http://www.tyrebaydirect.com/

Me too :eusa_whistle:

I finally got my front wheel balanced properly on friday.

Was going to build a balancer, but in the end just bought a new set of wheel bearings and fitted them.

Took the shields off the old ones and degreased them to remove friction (sprayed a bit of ACF50 on them to keep them smooth and stop them rusting)

Took out the rear spindle, put it through the front wheel with one of the stripped bearings at each end and popped it all up on a pair of axle stands.

Gave it a very gentle spin and the wheel kept going for about 5 mins - it is properly sensitive.I reckon I got it within about 2-3g, but I didn't want to cut a 5g weight in half to get it perfect.

I now have no vibes at any speed, where before at about 85 the front end started to shake and by the time 120 ish came round my eyes were being vibrated out of their sockets.

All for the cost of 2 new SKF bearings - less than a tenner :eusa_think:

Next job is to replace the bobbins on the wavey discs with Brembo ones.....

Ive alway broke the bead with a g clamp and two bits of wood never had one that didnr come off yet. as for getting back on bead plenty of soap and foot pump.

If you are using a compressor run it until stops on it's max pressure setting, remove the valve inner (the tool is sold at halfords and sometimes comes with new push bikes) both these tricks allow quicker inflation. I also made my own balancer out off some alloy and bearings that works a treat I've managed to beg borrow and steal enough materials to make my own bead breaker to the same design as the abba one I will post some pictures of the balancer and bead breaker when complete.

• 1 month later...

I've always fancied a proper tyre machine:

http://tinyurl.com/n5bm3l

Yes, expensive, but with 5 bikes I seem to be constantly taking tyres down the (not so local) fitter, and at £25 odd for a fit and balance to loose wheels, it all adds up. Not to mention having to take the day off as Saturdays are usually mobbed, and he usually can't do a swap while I wait, so it's two journies in the car.

On the other hand I like tools. And I could offer it to local riders and attain a warm glow of zen-ness.

My mate is into jap cars, does trackdays and a bit of sprint / hillclimb stuff. He and another mate kitted out an old barn with pillar lifts, tyre changer machine and best of all a waste oil heater. The whole lot was bought very cheap from a garage that was closing down because the owner was selling it to a property developer. Only problem is that they needed 3 phase electricity, so they had to buy a phase converter (although Phil has now bought a new place and has had 3 phase connected), and that it is 200miles from my house!

I was so impressed by your bead breaker I made my own, with some bit of wood I had in the garage.

Cheers mate. :blink:

Oh and I find a paddock stand and a spear rear axel do for the balancing. :D

I was so impressed by your bead breaker I made my own, with some bit of wood I had in the garage.

Cheers mate. :thumbsup:

Oh and I find a paddock stand and a spear rear axel do for the balancing. :wtfmore:

I used to balance mine like that too, but using extra bearings stripped of grease and very lightly oiled on the ends of the spindle makes the balancing much more accurate :tumbleweed:

I used to balance mine like that too, but using extra bearings stripped of grease and very lightly oiled on the ends of the spindle makes the balancing much more accurate :eusa_whistle:

I like the sound of that, So the extra set of bearings sit out board of the wheel where the axel rests on the stand?????

I like the sound of that, So the extra set of bearings sit out board of the wheel where the axel rests on the stand?????

Aye - and it gives you an excuse to fit new wheel bearings to use the old ones.

Just prise the shields off and fire all the grease out with brake cleaner, thenspary some wd40, acf50 or summat on for smoothness and to stop the buggers rusting.

I had a tyre fitted by a mobile guy on the works truck in the middle of nowhere the other day. He used a dirty great peice of angle iron and a lump hammer to break the bead, worked first time. Might try that next time.

Gotta give an update, guys. Most of you who were at Soggy Cadwell will have heard my triumphant tale. I washed the Blade and put it on the stands to lube and tension the chain on Saturday evening, only to find a nail in the tyre. Bugger. Phoned the guy from Holbeach on sunday morning who confirmed that he would be at Cadwell and would help if he could, but he didn't have a tyre to match my front, and wouldn't have any 16 inch tyres if I wanted a pair. Also, I'd have to ride from Evesham to Cadwell knowing that there was a nail in my tyre. The local guys to me only had one person running the showroom, so they couldn't swap the tyre, and no one else round here was even open, it being Sunday. Running out of options I got the local bike shop to sell me a tyre. Before I collected it I got my magic stick to break the bead on the old tyre, and got it off using a pair of old levers a mate had given me. With the bare wheel and the new tyre collected, I popped round to a friend with a compressor and got the new tyre on the rim. Result.

I was running out of time, so I had a pathetic attempt at balancing it using its own bearings, but it just wasn't sensitive enough, so I threw the wheel back on the bike. It felt great, and I'm pretty sure that when I do balance the wheel it can't be very far out.

Why not try lighter fuel to pump you;re tyre up, it works in the North Pole apparently. lol

Why not try lighter fuel to pump you;re tyre up, it works in the North Pole apparently. lol

/

I've watched quite a few vids of this 'technique' on youtube. I'm quite fond of my eyebrows, so I'll give it a miss if you don't mind!

/

I've watched quite a few vids of this 'technique' on youtube. I'm quite fond of my eyebrows, so I'll give it a miss if you don't mind!

:eusa_dance:

• 2 months later...

I used a lawn edging tool to break the bead on the rear wheel of my ZX7R.

Saw it mentioned on another site. Just slipped the half moon blade up against the wheel rim, stood on it and the bead popped at the 2nd attempt.

Gotta go and buy some tyre levers now and get the bugger off. Hope Mrs K doesn't want to do any gardening in the meantime. :icon_salut:

Archived