Magnesium wheels

Gix

A set of magnesium dymags have come up relatively local to me for 600 dabs. They are to fit a VTR SP1 and I am tempted to fit to the 954 but they are  Repsol orange which won't do for me.

I have alloy Dymags and had them powdercoated with no issues but keep reading about problems in coating magnesium wheels....

Pray tell - what's the script?

47 minutes ago, Gix said:

A set of magnesium dymags have come up relatively local to me for 600 dabs. They are to fit a VTR SP1 and I am tempted to fit to the 954 but they are  Repsol orange which won't do for me.

I have alloy Dymags and had them powdercoated with no issues but keep reading about problems in coating magnesium wheels....

Pray tell - what's the script?

Magnesium is a very reactive element. As such paint wont bond to bare Mag, as the material reacts preventing a chemical bond. Powder coat will encapsulate it but once the coating is breached the atmosphere is free to do its worst.

To overcome this, you beed to neutralise the surface of the magnesium. Traditionaly you yse a chromate conversion process, eather my imersing the parts, or brushing on the chemicals. Unfortunatly the chemicals requires are very nasty, and band in europe and the UK.

Until last year you could import and sell these chemicals under an aircraft use exemption. But this exemption lapsed in the uk last year, and hasn geen renewed.

Some peope fo have stock of the chemicals, but they are fast running out. I dont know what the alternative is.

I've ssen people ceracoating mag, looks good, not convinced its any better than powder coat though.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, 426hemi said:

A company called tpcs seem to be the go to people for mag wheels refurbishing.

yes, the seller mentioned them, but they are in Hampshire, which is a slight ballache

6 minutes ago, Gix said:

yes, the seller mentioned them, but they are in Hampshire, which is a slight ballache

Very, very few people know what they are doing when it comes to treating and painting magnesium.  TPCS are one of them. 

Check the price of a new set of Magnesium dymags to understand how expensive dealing with mag is these days.

There are lot of magnesium parts on laptops and mobile phones, etc. I wonder how they deal with the issues. I guess the far east doesn't have the same restrictions on these chemicals.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Damnthistinleg said:

Probably a daft question but if they are cheap, are they definitely 17" wheels and not 16.5"?

yes mate, deffo 17"

• Like 1

Pics are chemical bath crack testing

stripped rims

coated magnesium 

final finish 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2moto said:

There are lot of magnesium parts on laptops and mobile phones, etc. I wonder how they deal with the issues. I guess the far east doesn't have the same restrictions on these chemicals.

TL camcovers are mag and they don't turn to dust either. Some cars got mag wheels too.

14 hours ago, Gix said:

You've got to think outside of the box mate.  You've got a pair of wheels, just find a stick et voila!

Bonus points if you wear period Victorian clothing. You could be halfway to hampshire by now!

Ok, bit of a spacker question -

If the current coating is in good condition but in a non favourable colour (orange)

What is wrong with just painting over that ?

(yes I'm a cheapskate)

No reason why not, main reason I had mine done was piece of mind that they are in good shape.

if they had and major chips or anything like that I’d probably go for a refurb. Mag does tend to corrode quite easily if the coating is removed. 

• Like 2

On 2/21/2024 at 5:40 PM, Gix said:

Ok, bit of a spacker question -

If the current coating is in good condition but in a non favourable colour (orange)

What is wrong with just painting over that ?

(yes I'm a cheapskate)

Nothing, other than weight. just make sure the  painter understands the brief.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I went cheapskate offered the guy a couple of offers but he told me where to go, so I decided to leave it.

I know the SC59 blade wheels are a relatively direct fit and I toyed with buying some Gold SP Arashi ones from China for £450 landed, but the idea for the 954 was always to be a cheap road bike, so why am I even considering fancy wheels when the ones on it are in perfect condition?

Anyhow, the stars aligned and a nice 3k cheque popped through the door from when a nice Romanian truck driver decided to use a PIT manoeuvre on me on the M6 3yrs ago. My first thought was 'yaaay free holiday', my second was  'yaaay slightly cheaper holiday and new trinkets', so I now own these.......

dm2 dm1

They are in really good condition with  a good coating and no chips, so I am considering just a repaint (not sure on Black or white yet, show off or stealth) and the sprocket carrier needs two studs putting back in (any ideas where to get these?) Not in any rush to get them on as I am taking the Blade to the North West in May and already fitted the new tyres to the standard rims

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Gix said:

Well, I went cheapskate offered the guy a couple of offers but he told me where to go, so I decided to leave it.

I know the SC59 blade wheels are a relatively direct fit and I toyed with buying some Gold SP Arashi ones from China for £450 landed, but the idea for the 954 was always to be a cheap road bike, so why am I even considering fancy wheels when the ones on it are in perfect condition?

Anyhow, the stars aligned and a nice 3k cheque popped through the door from when a nice Romanian truck driver decided to use a PIT manoeuvre on me on the M6 3yrs ago. My first thought was 'yaaay free holiday', my second was  'yaaay slightly cheaper holiday and new trinkets', so I now own these.......

dm2 dm1

They are in really good condition with  a good coating and no chips, so I am considering just a repaint (not sure on Black or white yet, show off or stealth) and the sprocket carrier needs two studs putting back in (any ideas where to get these?) Not in any rush to get them on as I am taking the Blade to the North West in May and already fitted the new tyres to the standard rims

Phwoar!

For peace of mind and not a lot of readies,I would get them to tcps for a strip/test/repaint.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bogman said:

For peace of mind and not a lot of readies,I would get them to tcps for a strip/test/repaint.

As I am in no rush to get them on, I probably will. Just need to make sure they will fit first

16 minutes ago, Gix said:

As I am in no rush to get them on, I probably will. Just need to make sure they will fit first

Oh, ohhh, have you, 'Done a @flange*'? :D 

*Definition: verb - as in, bought something for a bike, without checking if it fits, hence, "Oh, no, I've gone and done a @flange!"

;) 

• Haha 4

Definitely worth getting it checked. Even if it is checked, stuff can still  happen.

Remember the catastrophic collapse of Robert Dunlop's rear Mg Marvic? 

4 minutes ago, heds954 said:

Oh, ohhh, have you, 'Done a @flange*'? :D 

*Definition: verb - as in, bought something for a bike, without checking if it fits, hence, "Oh, no, I've gone and done a @flange!"

;) 

Yes I have, but I always do.

They are off a VTR SP1, so I figured wouldn't be far off but I have a lathe so can turn up spacers etc.

At £600 though I don't think I will lose on them and them seem a fair bit lighter than my Dymags on the Srad (UPX7). The 954 is quite flighty anyway and was worried these may make it feel more so but didn't you have fancy rims on yours? If so, are my fears unfounded?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gix said:

Yes I have, but I always do.

They are off a VTR SP1, so I figured wouldn't be far off but I have a lathe so can turn up spacers etc.

At £600 though I don't think I will lose on them and them seem a fair bit lighter than my Dymags on the Srad (UPX7). The 954 is quite flighty anyway and was worried these may make it feel more so but didn't you have fancy rims on yours? If so, are my fears unfounded?

No, not on mine. I was tempted, especially after reading that mag article on the ultimate 954 (built by the owner of HPS - I still have that article somewhere), that had BST's on it. Yeah, the bike is flighty, but it's a case of checking the usual suspects, head bearings, tyre pressures etc, and when all else fails, get a GPR damper. TBH the 954 being flighty was the best part for me (I just needed to temper it a little with the damper).