LDC 2024

johnnymack63

Comms sent out this morning.

Good Morning All !!

You are receiving this e-mail because you are a previous participant and/or volunteer of “The Longest Day Challenge”, or you are someone who has got in touch with us.

Today is the shortest day of the year, which means that in exactly six months “The Longest Day Challenge 2024” will be underway and once again raising much needed money for Cancer Research UK. 

It is also the day that “LDC24” goes live, and I start the task of collecting names and contact details of those of you who are interested in taking part in 2024 - either as participant or volunteer. 

Last years event raised an astonishing £102,281 which took the running total for the event to over £412,000 raised for Cancer Research UK since it all began back in 2013. It is an extraordinary amount of money, so Thank You to everyone who has taken part, volunteered, donated, or simply spread the word over the years. You have all made a difference to people lives. Maybe this year we’ll get the running total to over Half a Million pounds for CRUK.

After a fair bit of consideration and feedback from the past few years, I’ve decided to make a couple of small changes to the format for 2024, so please read the following carefully…….

1) No 125cc bikes. The minimum capacity allowed must now be greater than 125cc. This is mainly for the benefit of the volunteers specifically on the 4th and 5th pitstops, so they aren’t up all night and in a semi-fit state to go to work the next day(same) morning. The average pace and range that 125cc bikes can manage during the day means that by even the half way mark, they’re so far behind that the time between the first and last riders can be up to 8 hours by the last pitstop, and when you consider that the first riders arrive at P5 between 11 and 12PM, that’s a lot to ask from the guys and girls at P5 who have to go to work the same day!

2) The maximum budget for the bike that you use for the challenge is still £600 (not including the cost of tyres, brakes or MOT). However…….you can make a special case for exception from this rule if you want to use a particular bike for sentimental reasons, or a bike which still represents a big project to make ready, but the initial purchase price and/or restoration price is above the £600 budget.The event was originally founded on, and has been carried on for 10 years on the basis that it is a long distance ride, on nasty bikes, and this is very much the spirit of the event that we want to continue with, and prefer people to approach the event in. However, we also recognise that there are equally large projects out there which exceed the budget, but require no less time, effort, ingenuity or bodgery to resurrect an otherwise dead bike. Also, we recognise that occasionally some riders have wanted to use a bike which once belonged to a loved one who may have been taken by cancer, and therefore has a greater meaning and motivation to them. Therefore, for the first time, I will be asking each of you to indicate what your intented bike/project is BEFORE I confirm your place in the event.

Apart from that, the format for 2024 is the same as previous years…….

- We will continue to run from Lands End to John O’Groats on the 21st of June (Meeting at Lands End on the 20th).

- As usual, I’ll set a route nearer the time, and as usual it will be different to all previous routes used.

- No MOT, no entry.

- Accomodation and meals provided at Lands End and John O’Groats, full “Broom Wagon” support on the road, and transportation of you luggage from Lands End to John O’Groats are included in the entry fee. Which is...

- Shared occupancy: £300 per person OR Single occupancy: £400 per person

What happens next?

For now, all I need to do is establish a list of people who want to be kept informed about the 2023 event so that this is the only mass e-mail which gets sent out. I’ll start looking for deposits/firm commitment from that list of people after Christmas, so there’s no added pressure on the finances at this time of year, and full payment at there end of March, when I'll close the book and get all the accommodation booked.

So, there it is, the 2024 book is open for people to register their interest – it is not a guarantee of a place. If you want your name putting in it, reply to this e-mail with your name, e-mail address, phone number, and as mentioned, the bike you’re going to use. I’ll then add you to the 2024 database, then get back in touch with everyone on that database in January. 

I'm going to limit places to an absolute maximum of 35, so if we do end up over-subscribed, I'll treat it on a first come first served basis and give priority to people who didn't do it in 2023.

I’ll also be starting a list of those you you who would like to help with the Pitstops, so if you can let me know if you can, then I shall start a separate list for the army of volunteers too.

Hope that all makes sense.

Any questions, just shout.

And, thank you all so much for being part of the ongoing Longest Day Challenge madness, in whatever capacity. It only works due to people like all of you who are either mad enough to take either on and those of you who are kind enough to give up your valuable time to support the riders and event.

Merry Christmas to you and all your families.

John

• Like 12

Hi all, if anyone is looking for a bike I have my 1992 Yamaha Diversion 600 which I did the LDC 2022 on. Looks suitably rubbish but goes well. 40K miles. Needs silencer sorting but otherwise fine. Kitted out for long distance ride and used as commuter since 2022 ride. I'm now retired so not using it and would like it to go to someone doing the LDC.... I'm up in Yorkshire near Selby and looking for £500 ish... Cheers Jeremy 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, hawkati said:

Gwan!

Employment and income dependent. Funds are currently far below zero.

I've requested a spot.

I have a bike.

I just need money and that bike to be running. I think I have most of the parts I require.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hawkati said:

Excellent. What's the bike & what parts do you need?

My old Katana, bought back from @blow_away for the same £300 I sold it to him for. 

I have an exhaust system from a GSX750, as well as the cable clutch lever and mechanism from that. The current clutch mechanism is hydraulic. The hose is burst, replacements are thin on the ground, so I thought I'd try and convert it to cable.

I'll need a battery, a full service kit, most likely C&S, brake pads, caliper seals front and rear, possibly a fork rebuild. Undoubtedly, the carbs will be in a state, so I'll get them off and see if one of the boys at my former employer will give them a bath for me.

If only I still worked at a bike shop for maximum parts discount and publicity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaycee said:

My old Katana, bought back from @blow_away for the same £300 I sold it to him for. 

I have an exhaust system from a GSX750, as well as the cable clutch lever and mechanism from that. The current clutch mechanism is hydraulic. The hose is burst, replacements are thin on the ground, so I thought I'd try and convert it to cable.

I'll need a battery, a full service kit, most likely C&S, brake pads, caliper seals front and rear, possibly a fork rebuild. Undoubtedly, the carbs will be in a state, so I'll get them off and see if one of the boys at my former employer will give them a bath for me.

If only I still worked at a bike shop for maximum parts discount and publicity.

That would be awesome if you could get that going. Would any braided hose work for the clutch rather than converting it? Best of luck!

11 hours ago, Jig Erland said:

Hi all, if anyone is looking for a bike I have my 1992 Yamaha Diversion 600 which I did the LDC 2022 on. Looks suitably rubbish but goes well. 40K miles. Needs silencer sorting but otherwise fine. Kitted out for long distance ride and used as commuter since 2022 ride. I'm now retired so not using it and would like it to go to someone doing the LDC.... I'm up in Yorkshire near Selby and looking for £500 ish... Cheers Jeremy 

Could you let me have some details on this please? I think I ought to look at having a go at this before it's too late. This sounds like a good option... 

8 minutes ago, Rick448 said:

Could you let me have some details on this please? I think I ought to look at having a go at this before it's too late. This sounds like a good option... 

DM'd you (hopefully, if it worked)

• Thanks 1

Out of interest, what is the normal situation regarding getting there and back? Do any participants van bikes back and forth, or is the actual hardest challenge after the completion? Asking for a friend....

6 minutes ago, Rick448 said:

Out of interest, what is the normal situation regarding getting there and back? Do any participants van bikes back and forth, or is the actual hardest challenge after the completion? Asking for a friend....

I shared a van to the start in 2014. Ride down, day off on the lash, ride home

You want a bros hmm? Ex LDU and in budget....

• Like 3

I've often treated it as a great excuse for a work break so I've ridden down to tintagel, camped there before a short hop to lands end the day before it all kicks off.

Then a few days riding gently round the western Highlands after to unwind & gradually lurch home!

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, hawkati said:

I've often treated it as a great excuse for a work break so I've ridden down to tintagel, camped there before a short hop to lands end the day before it all kicks off.

Then a few days riding gently round the western Highlands after to unwind & gradually lurch home!

That sounds great, unfortunately i struggle with fitting everything’s together. My daughter is only 8 (even though i'm an old git) and i'd like  my wife and her to be there at the end. 

Edited by Rick448
shit speeing
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rick448 said:

Ride to the start. Do the LDU. Ride back.

• Like 3

In effect you do it twice when you think about it. 

I always remember the 2 lads from Wick when it was north to south, relatively short ride to the start, but humongous journey back north. 

I believe they rode to London, sabotaged the bikes so they could be recovered to wick (the bikes) and they caught the train from Euston. 

Excellent logic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Ray Von said:

I always remember the 2 lads from Wick when it was north to south, relatively short ride to the start, but humongous journey back north. 

I believe they rode to London, sabotaged the bikes so they could be recovered to wick (the bikes) and they caught the train from Euston. 

Excellent logic. 

Wick is a mere 16 miles from JoG. Those last miles, now going up are some of the toughest, and I've done emergency stops for things that don't exist before because I've been so knacked 😂

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Ray Von said:

Excellent logic. 

Which was my point. I don't mind that, but it is double jeapordy in both terms of fatigue, but also bike reliability. Maybe I should shut up and get on with it. 

1 hour ago, Ray Von said:

Excellent logic. 

That's right, so they did! We definitely made the right decision in staying over. That was a memorable day out, wasn't it?

If I manage to get everything lined up and do the run, I'll literally be riding down, doing the run up, then riding home again this time.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rick448 said:

Thanks for the explanation. 

You are welcome.

The ride to LE is very exciting, a real buzz, there are one or two of you, then there are five, then more, then more.

The run itself is one of the best things I have ever done.

The ride back from JoG was where it hit me. I had to get back for work.

But you can stop and take a break. 

The feeling of achievement is what keeps you going.

Edited by Thunderbolt
Speelung
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, jaycee said:

That's right, so they did! We definitely made the right decision in staying over. That was a memorable day out, wasn't it?

If I manage to get everything lined up and do the run, I'll literally be riding down, doing the run up, then riding home again this time.

We were the pirates of Penzance that day mate. 

And Colin bless him, in the sag wagon making brews when we arrived, never forget that. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ray Von said:

We were the pirates of Penzance that day mate. 

And Colin bless him, in the sag wagon making brews when we arrived, never forget that. 

Poor bloody Colin, 100% legend that he was, and all the other unfortunates struck down by these terrible diseases, is why we do this.

• Like 3