LDU 2023

johnnymack63

Today is the shortest day of the year, which means that in exactly six months “The Longest Day Challenge 2023” will be underway and once again raising much needed money for Cancer Research UK. 

It is also the day that I open the book for “LDC23” and start collecting names and contact details of those of you who are interested in taking part in 2023 either as participant or volunteer. 

Last years event raised an astonishing £60,000 which took the running total for the event to over £310,000 raised for Cancer Research UK since it all began back in 2013. It is an extraordinary amount of money, so Thank You to everyone who has taken part, volunteered, donated, or simply spread the word over the years. You have all made a difference to people lives.

The eagle-eyed amongst you will have noticed that 2023 is the 10th Anniversary of the event, which is a remarkable achievement given its humble beginnings and not something any of us involved with the first one ever thought would be possible.

I've given a lot of thought on how to appropriately mark the challenge's 10th birthday, but the truth is that every idea I came up with just took away from the very format which has made it the success it is, and the very thing that seems to appeal to so many.  

The best way to mark the special occasion would be to simply raise another pile of money for Cancer Research.

Therefore, there won’t be any changes to the format for 2023, which means.....

The maximum budget for the bike that you use for the challenge is still £600 (not including the cost of tyres, brakes or MOT). 

We will continue to run from Lands End to John O’Groats on the 21st of June.

As usual, I’ll set a route nearer the time, and as usual it will be different to all previous routes used.

No MOT, no entry.

Regrettably, the £300 entry fee, which has been the same from the very beginning no longer covers the cost of the accommodation, food and on-road support. Despite our fuel costs for the broom wagons kindly being paid for by TDR Haulage and the broom wagons being provided by Bathams Racing and Anglian Water, the accommodation costs are significantly more than even last year, let alone five or six years ago. 

Therefore, I have 
reviewed the pricing structure and decided that the best way to keep the entry fee as low and as fair as possible, there will now be a single occupancy price and a shared occupancy price as follows......

Shared occupancy: £300 per person
Single occupancy: £400 per person

What happens next?

For now, all I need to do is establish a list of people who want to be kept informed about the 2023 event. I’ll start looking for deposits/firm commitment from that list of people around February and full payment at Easter when I'll close the book, so I can then get all the accommodation booked.

So, there it is, the 2023 book is open for people to register their interest – it is not a guarantee of a place. If you want your name putting in it, DM me with your (real) name, e-mail address and phone number, and I’ll add you to the 2023 database, then get back in touch with everyone on that database in February. 

I'm going to limit places to an absolute maximum of 35, so if we do end up over-subscribed, I'll treat it on a first come first served basis and give priority to people who didn't do it in 2022.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

I see that my brother-in-law has registered his interest via the medium of Facebook. That’s enough members of my family taking part I feel, so I can respectfully step backwards. But I could be persuaded to help out at a pit stop if required.

• Like 6

Would genuinely love to do it,  but other commitments next year means time and funds will be too short to do it justice .

Anyone new thinking of doing it for the first time, just do it...its the greatest thing ever 😍

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EvilSpike said:

Me. I'm in.

I'll be cursing and crying in my lid around the 20 hour mark but still, I'm in...

On the forum GPZ no less. That completed the ride last year no problem! 👍

• Like 2

I'm up for doing pitstop duties same as I have the last couple of years. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sideshow Pob said:

I see that my brother-in-law has registered his interest via the medium of Facebook. That’s enough members of my family taking part I feel, so I can respectfully step backwards. But I could be persuaded to help out at a pit stop if required.

Nice one dude.

Can you PM me your details again otherwise I’ll forget.

4 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Al, are you riding?

Have you thrown your hat in Calum?

34 minutes ago, EXUPDEL said:

Have you thrown your hat in Calum?

Yep.

LDUGPZ900R rides again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, blow_away said:

No chance, I'd be crying after two hours in the saddle.

That’s the point, it’s not easy especially at my age 😉

This could be true But I reckon you are still younger than the tyres you have fitted  on the gpz

• Haha 7

On 12/26/2022 at 10:26 AM, EXUPDEL said:

This could be true But I reckon you are still younger than the tyres you have fitted  on the gpz

I had to buy some new ones, after two longest day events they were past their best.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'll plot to be at pitstop#1 with a metric fukketonne of bits - apart from the usual consumables I've loads of brake & clutch levers, radiators, discs, footpegs and other such stuff. Perfect bodgery material.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, hawkati said:

I'll plot to be at pitstop#1 with a metric fukketonne of big hammers. Perfect bodgery material.

Fixed that for you, no charge. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Things are afoot,

The Whatsap message group for the riders riders has been formed, Questions are being asked, Advice is being sought, The piss taking has begun.

@hawkati We miss you

1 hour ago, EXUPDEL said:

Things are afoot,

The Whatsap message group for the riders riders has been formed, Questions are being asked, Advice is being sought, The piss taking has begun.

@hawkati We miss you

Not if you aim carefully....Which wattsapp? I'll be  helping at a pitstop so would be good to know what's going on....