A tale of 2 old Honda`s

laney

3 hours ago, laney said:

The bloody thing broke down on the way home from work on Monday night, cut out a few times but would then start back up, then after a mile or so of that, it died completely with no dash lights.

Pushed it around to a car park and pulled the battery off, to get to the starter solenoid to check the 30a fuse. I noticed that the plug into the solenoid was bone dry and a bit furry so removed the power cables from it and cleaned the contacts up with a feeler gauge I had in my tool kit.

Id called my dad out with a few spare parts, so when he turned up I got him to follow me back home. It was better but still not right.

I`ve got to swap the rear subframe as this one is worryingly rotten, so will clean the starter solenoid wiring up whilst I'm in there.   

I had a bad earth connection on my old one, even same colours, lol, which caused the lights etc to go out, but it didn't cutout as well. Sounds like you are going to have to strip and clean up the loom plugs etc, but atleast afterwards you will know they are clean and ready for a 2k race, sorry,  ride 🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, firebeast said:

I had a bad earth connection on my old one, even same colours, lol, which caused the lights etc to go out, but it didn't cutout as well. Sounds like you are going to have to strip and clean up the loom plugs etc, but atleast afterwards you will know they are clean and ready for a 2k race, sorry,  ride 🤣

Indeed, I've been cleaning up plugs and connectors as I go, but I'd not got to the starter solenoid ones yet, so fingers crossed with a clean up of those, I will have a happy bike again ready for the err, race.... 😁

• Like 1

I noticed as I was messing the other day, that the subframe was quite corroded, so picked a reasonable condition one up on the bay for £15 and I'm waiting for my mate to powder coat it for me. 

So whilst I'm cleaning up the wiring loom I removed the rusty subframe.

3zxp2Jp.jpg

5X19Du2.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/28/2022 at 1:44 PM, James306 said:

Nice progress, I'm guessing by now the subframe is probably back on and she's back on the road?!

Indeed I've been for a steady run around on it, and nothing fell off..!

• Like 2

This week, I've changed the front wheel bearings, and the rear shock for something with more support.

Rear shock swap was unorthodox, as I couldn`t get the front part of the battery tray out due to rusted in screws, so removed the lower subframe bolts and pivoted the subframe up to squeeze the shock out over the top of the swingarm. All good fun.

Got a new rectifier to throw on it tonight whilst the seat panels are off again, and also been lent some heated grips to fit as well.

Just over a week left now, eek!!

R13abwe.jpg

yMWfGbF.jpg

• Like 4

And finally got a couple of stickers from the company that does our business cards etc, after waiting for about 3 months. At least they were free.

ddA9wRF.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

1907 miles in 3 days, made it to Jog at 3:30am, so 23.5 hours on the road. So I was awake for 25.5 hours, had 4 hours sleep, did the photoshoot after breakfast and did 595 miles back home yesterday. 

I've done a few cool things in my life, but to be part of this event was amazing, i made a point to really look around as I was riding, and take in all the spectacular scenery, and above all to just enjoy it.

Each pitstop was great, nice to see @hawkatiand @Superduncat P1, then @CRMat P2, thanks for the iced water bottle mate, worked a treat! P3 was very peaceful with a lovely spread, P4 was a quick one as the ferry was just loading up, so only got to say a brief hello to @jaycee, the boys there made sure we were fuelled up with Ironbru before the ferry departed. P5 was a welcome sight for a brew and a cookie, and a mini bottle of whiskey as a leaving gift!

Not forgetting the mighty vfr, it ran faultless all day, with just a little drop of oil needed at a couple of pitstops, then sat at 90 all the way down the M6 yesterday afternoon.

I do ache a bit today tho!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, laney said:

1907 miles in 3 days, made it to Jog at 3:30am, so 23.5 hours on the road. So I was awake for 25.5 hours, had 4 hours sleep, did the photoshoot after breakfast and did 595 miles back home yesterday. 

I've done a few cool things in my life, but to be part of this event was amazing, i made a point to really look around as I was riding, and take in all the spectacular scenery, and above all to just enjoy it.

Each pitstop was great, nice to see @hawkatiand @Superduncat P1, then @CRMat P2, thanks for the iced water bottle mate, worked a treat! P3 was very peaceful with a lovely spread, P4 was a quick one as the ferry was just loading up, so only got to say a brief hello to @jaycee, the boys there made sure we were fuelled up with Ironbru before the ferry departed. P5 was a welcome sight for a brew and a cookie, and a mini bottle of whiskey as a leaving gift!

Not forgetting the mighty vfr, it ran faultless all day, with just a little drop of oil needed at a couple of pitstops, then sat at 90 all the way down the M6 yesterday afternoon.

Pleasure to meet you. Glad a ducati c spanner fitted!

Paragraph 2 - taking in the scenery. That's absolutely an essential part of the event. Stunning isn't it? Not becoming part of the scenery matters too....

Take care eh?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, laney said:

I heard you shouting your name and I thought "Steve! Got to go see him quickly" 

Bike looked far too nice, you did a lovely job on it. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

In a bizarre zombie thread, on the vfr facebook page someone put a picture up of this very vfr asking if it was still around as he owned it years ago when it was nice and clean, then the guy popped up who got knocked off it, allowing me to snap it up from the bike breakers. Then i tagged the guy who brought it off me so there were 4 owners of the same bike on this massive facebook thread!!

They couldn`t believe it had done the Le-jog event after being wrote off.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, laney said:

In a bizarre zombie thread, on the vfr facebook page someone put a picture up of this very vfr asking if it was still around as he owned it years ago when it was nice and clean, then the guy popped up who got knocked off it, allowing me to snap it up from the bike breakers. Then i tagged the guy who brought it off me so there were 4 owners of the same bike on this massive facebook thread!!

They couldn`t believe it had done the Le-jog event after being wrote off.

like that - they're the honda undead bikes aren't they?:D

• Like 1