A tale of 2 old Honda`s

laney

A bit of a back story to this thread, last summer a friend of my boss got knocked off his old cbr6 and was in the process of buying it back from the insurance company, so I jokingly said that would be perfect for the LDU as I was thinking about entering it at the time. He couldn`t make up his mind if he wanted to part with it as he had owned it since 94, so I ended up buying a slightly crash damaged vfr 750.  Then out of the blue he messaged me last week saying he wanted to sell the CBR, so I now have 2 crash damaged old Honda`s to fix up!

The VFR has done 40k, and had been off the road for 4 years prior to the accident, it runs but is lumpy, exhaust blowing etc, but that's not too much work, new fuel, plugs and balance the carbs. The damage is all to the right side, footpeg and brake lever, bent bar and broken throttle housing, clutch cover is weeping from a crack somewhere. The clocks have been pushed over so the clock bracket will need a pull.

And then just the bodywork to replace on that side. The plus side is its got good tyres and chain/sprockets.

The CBR6 is a 91 model with 52k, apart from a slight cam chain rattle at start up it actually sounds healthy and at first look its a 5 minute job to get back on the road, but the bodywork is cracked and broken on both sides of the nosecone, and there are a few big chunks missing, so I might have to see what's about on ebay. Also the brakes are binding really badly but that's just a strip down, and lastly the lights are playing up so there must be something earthing out somewhere.

The plan is to see what parts come up on ebay to repair them, and that will determine what bike I use if I get accepted onto the adventure!   

XFqUjB9.jpg

• Like 12

On 1/24/2022 at 3:13 PM, hawkati said:

Either would be more or less ideal, you lucky bastard!😂

I do love a Honda, I feel like I pulled CBR man's pants down as I only gave him what he paid the insurance company for it, £350!

Edited by laney
Spaz fingerzzz
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, laney said:

I do love a Honda, I feel like I pulled CBR man's pants down as I only gave him what he paid the insurance company for it, £350!

I bought a Thunderace from a mate (via Insurance) for under £300 that both @heds954 and I did the LDD on - 2013 and 2014

Fuck buying shitters - buy something written off for panel damage!

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, CMSMJ1 said:

I bought a Thunderace from a mate (via Insurance) for under £300 that both @heds954 and I did the LDD on - 2013 and 2014

Fuck buying shitters - buy something written off for panel damage!

It's certainly an easier way to get a cheap bike, most bikes I buy are crash damaged. 

• Like 3

Behold, the mighty Vfr. It looks good until you get up close but don`t be fooled there is still plenty to keep me busy!

Q39KcfB.jpg

7Ut4iCw.jpg

• Like 5

Not really had chance to look over the cbr6, I've given it a good spray over with gt85 as it was dry as a bone, and had a look in the bag of bolts he gave me so I can start to put the bodywork back on whilst cleaning up the wiring loom earth and block connectors.

KUG5YIq.jpg

wskAopA.jpg

• Like 3

The postman has just delivered a panel for me, its been painted (badly) but is still better than the one that came off! Looks ok from afar.

iXEzVxx.jpg

• Like 3

Looks like the former owner (s) had issues with going round right hand bends

Great bikes for the challenge I used a CBR6 for last years challenge and a VFR for the year before. CBR is more fun and easier to ride but doesn't have the fuel range of the VFR.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EXUPDEL said:

Looks like the former owner (s) had issues with going round right hand bends

Great bikes for the challenge I used a CBR6 for last years challenge and a VFR for the year before. CBR is more fun and easier to ride but doesn't have the fuel range of the VFR.

The VFR belly pan was full of road chippings, so id say they had binned it on a fresh patch of tarmac. The CBR guy was overtaking a parked Transit van, when it decided to do a U-turn as he was along side it, so the van hit and damaged the left side of the bike, and proceeded to knock him off and damage the right side! Thankfully he was only doing about 20 mph so just a few bruises.

Can you remember what the fuel range was on them Del? 

The vfr should be good for at least 150 to the fuel light possibly up to 170 steady motorways

CBR I would say 120 to reserve and then probably another 20 to 25

I am leaning towards using the VFR this year if I manage to get a place

• Like 1

Had a dig around in the garage and managed to find the footrest assembly I had removed from my other VFR, so swapped that over. Bonus is its still got the exhaust heat shield to stop my foot getting toasty.

YURKOlT.jpg

jPy8UNl.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pushing on with the VFR, as its still got a current mot, so I'm itching to get out on it. That being said, it is a crashed bike that had been off the road for a while so I'm going to go through it before I venture out on the old girl.

So I replaced the bent handle bar, and throttle twist grip, and while id got the tank off I had the spark plugs out to clean and gap them, all 4 of the buggers were finger tight. It amazes me how many people aren't confident to tighten spark plugs up correctly, they feel the crush washer and then stop there, bloody wimps. 

I had a nice bonus when I lifted the seat, I got a free set of allen keys, a complete tool kit, some m6 threaded inserts, and strangely enough, another ecu.

akGUZ1o.jpg

HcR5mva.jpg

EdQIBmt.jpg

• Like 3

Also had a chop about with the exhaust to convert it into a high level can, with a silencer I had spare off the busa.

ZEurwkZ.jpg

DsBBerz.jpg

• Like 7

1 minute ago, laney said:

Also had a chop about with the exhaust to convert it into a high level can, with a silencer I had spare off the busa.

ZEurwkZ.jpg

DsBBerz.jpg

This is one the bikes where the high level works and looks better than stock, should be a bit 'fruity' with that one 👍

One size up in the main jets and some nc29 jet needles peps up the mid /top end,, 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Laney, I hope you have had your email. Im doing the run and its my first time. 

For my sins the barn find I have is a mp3 400. They rust like a lancia beta. Well 3 wheels may make for a challenge just like its 12 ltr tank. just squeezed 141 miles out of it today. Its on the road since mid jan after I got it late Nov. If your in this years run I look forward to seeing you down at the start. 

• Like 4

On 2/25/2022 at 8:48 PM, S Bennett said:

Laney, I hope you have had your email. Im doing the run and its my first time. 

For my sins the barn find I have is a mp3 400. They rust like a lancia beta. Well 3 wheels may make for a challenge just like its 12 ltr tank. just squeezed 141 miles out of it today. Its on the road since mid jan after I got it late Nov. If your in this years run I look forward to seeing you down at the start. 

Yes mate, I'm in for this year, it's all rather real now the WhatsApp group is up and running!

• Like 2

Did a bit more on the vfr today, had to take the front downpipes off to clean the cylinder head gasket area, as they were both blowing a bit. Also noticed a front caliper is leaking, and not to be outdone the radiator has joined leak club, it's quite corroded though.

• Sad 2

Found the old radiator off the other vfr, so swapped that over earlier. Front downpipes no longer blow, ended up putting some hayabusa crush gaskets in the cylinder head where the downpipes bolt up to, so a few free fixes achieved.

• Like 4

Oh, and the exhaust sounds very fruity, at least it should stop me falling asleep up north 😂

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, laney said:

Oh, and the exhaust sounds very fruity, at least it should stop me falling asleep up north 😂

Just follow a mad Scotsman for the last 120 miles, that keeps you awake.

• Haha 4

Swapped the radiator to a less crusty version, finally found a nosecone corner that was in budget, didn`t want to pay too much so missed out on 2 blue ones, so settled on the Japanese racing green one.

Then removed the calipers as a couple of the seals were leaking. It looks like someone has put new pistons in at some point, but not changed the seals.

zw0NyE9.jpg

vrM1WuO.jpg

06a3nYx.jpg

g3yp3lu.jpg

• Like 3

Got the calipers built back up and on the bike, no leaks so far so I'm pleased with the £12 eBay seal kit.

Also painted the nose cone corner panel satin black, then changed my mind and guessed the colour I needed while in Halfords. Should of left it black..!!

Rear subframe was loose, no idea why unless the bodge artist who had it before me forgot to tighten it up. 

Just need to straighten the clock bracket with some brute force, then I can put the panels back on.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

This beast is almost ready for a test ride, just got to repack the silencer as it was a bit loud even on tickover, and I could feel some hot spots on the carbon sleeve, a sign that a repack is required.

When I got the end caps off, some of the packing had burnt away right up to the carbon sleeve, so will shove some new stuff in tonight.

H9mmW0L.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Went out for its maiden voyage on Saturday, popped to work and back. Speedo didn`t work and it was a bit loud so might stick a baffle in the can.

KPEMsvp.jpg

Too much noise coming out of here!!! Think moto-gp loud!!

j0gZxDd.jpg

• Like 5

Fast forward to this morning, and it cut out about 5 or 6 times on the way to work. It was mainly on the over-run so possibly a low tickover as I was stopping for junctions, so wound it up a bit when I got to work.

Speedo still didn`t work even though I had swapped the speedo sensor off the other vfr.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, laney said:

Went out for its maiden voyage on Saturday, popped to work and back. Speedo didn`t work and it was a bit loud so might stick a baffle in the can.

KPEMsvp.jpg

Too much noise coming out of here!!! Think moto-gp loud!!

j0gZxDd.jpg

It may be LOUD, but I bet being Honda V4, it's got a nice enough note to it even if its a bit ott for roads

• Like 1

The bloody thing broke down on the way home from work on Monday night, cut out a few times but would then start back up, then after a mile or so of that, it died completely with no dash lights.

Pushed it around to a car park and pulled the battery off, to get to the starter solenoid to check the 30a fuse. I noticed that the plug into the solenoid was bone dry and a bit furry so removed the power cables from it and cleaned the contacts up with a feeler gauge I had in my tool kit.

Id called my dad out with a few spare parts, so when he turned up I got him to follow me back home. It was better but still not right.

I`ve got to swap the rear subframe as this one is worryingly rotten, so will clean the starter solenoid wiring up whilst I'm in there.