Today I think I robbed a man

Alex_H

7 hours ago, Alex_H said:

So yesterday I insured it, and thought I better nip it round the block to see if it goes in a straight line and see if cylinder #4 wanted to join the party. 

It does not go in a straight line. Cylinder #4 stayed at home. 

The yokes are twisted to the left, so hopefully just a loosen of the forks in the yokes and the yoke top nut and they'll go back straight again, wasn't overly worried about it. 

The cylinder though, I was looking in the mirror to see plumes of smoke only the red arrows could compete with, not good. 

lqxDBm0.jpg

It was decidedly hard to get going again as well after this pic, so took it home again. 

Last night I lifted the tank, and its got a thing which props it up like a car bonnet, nice one. Spark plug out, black as you like and dry as a bone. Chucked it back in the plug boot, grounded it on the rocker cover bolt and hit the button which resulted in a juicy spark. 

Due to KTM's and their ability to cost me money, I recently purchased a compression testing kit. So as the plug was out I thought we'd chuck that on and see what we got. Over 150psi, plenty. So that leaves fuel.

Today was a new day so between taking the cat to the vet and getting my booster perforation I tackled the carbs. 

3Vqx99D.jpg

They needed the persuasion of a hammer handle to prise them out of the boots but as soon as I did I thought I heard a rattle 🙄

Mole grips to the knackered float bowl screws, lifted the bowl off and the main jet fell out and rolled somewhere on the floor! Managed to find it, and emulsion tube wasn't screwed in either, along with the pilot jet that was holding on by a thread or two. 

This is good, the jets aren't blocked and it'd explain why there wasn't even so much as a backfire when running. 

Anyway, chucked it back together again enough to run, replaced a section of the fuel tap vac line as it had a hole in which wouldn't have helped and hey presto, eventually all 4 cylinders. Very happy with that, though what I didn't do in my excitement was check the rest of them so that's going to be done and if I'm having the carbs out again I might as well replace the inlet rubbers, clamps etc as they all look like they've been in the sea, and some of the hoses have seen much better days. 

Not enough just to like this.

Excellent.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Alex_H said:

So yesterday I insured it, and thought I better nip it round the block to see if it goes in a straight line and see if cylinder #4 wanted to join the party. 

The yokes are twisted to the left, so hopefully just a loosen of the forks in the yokes and the yoke top nut and they'll go back straight again, wasn't overly worried about it. 

The cylinder though, I was looking in the mirror to see plumes of smoke only the red arrows could compete with, not good. 

lqxDBm0.jpg

It was decidedly hard to get going again as well after this pic, so took it home again. 

Last night I lifted the tank, and its got a thing which props it up like a car bonnet, nice one. Spark plug out, black as you like and dry as a bone. Chucked it back in the plug boot, grounded it on the rocker cover bolt and hit the button which resulted in a juicy spark. 

Due to KTM's and their ability to cost me money, I recently purchased a compression testing kit. So as the plug was out I thought we'd chuck that on and see what we got. Over 150psi, plenty. So that leaves fuel.

Today was a new day so between taking the cat to the vet and getting my booster perforation I tackled the carbs. 

3Vqx99D.jpg

They needed the persuasion of a hammer handle to prise them out of the boots but as soon as I did I thought I heard a rattle 🙄

Mole grips to the knackered float bowl screws, lifted the bowl off and the main jet fell out and rolled somewhere on the floor! Managed to find it, and emulsion tube wasn't screwed in either, along with the pilot jet that was holding on by a thread or two. 

This is good, the jets aren't blocked and it'd explain why there wasn't even so much as a backfire when running. 

Anyway, chucked it back together again enough to run, replaced a section of the fuel tap vac line as it had a hole in which wouldn't have helped and hey presto, eventually all 4 cylinders. Very happy with that, though what I didn't do in my excitement was check the rest of them so that's going to be done and if I'm having the carbs out again I might as well replace the inlet rubbers, clamps etc as they all look like they've been in the sea, and some of the hoses have seen much better days. 

Good news!

On 1/20/2022 at 1:17 PM, Alex_H said:

I don't want it back

1 hour ago, Alex_H said:

Not that one, that's been awesome 😂 can I tempt you with a bros?

No - Do you know anyone who wants my Bros - I've got a GPZ to buy - actually my Bros would probably do as a LDU bike, I only want £500ish for it

lqxDBm0.jpg

3Vqx99D.jpg

Good news on the rattly carbs, though does make you wonder WTF.. Have you thought about soaking the carb inlet rubbers to soften them again if they are generally OK on the sealing lips. Plenty of options out there. 

2 minutes ago, firebeast said:

Good news on the rattly carbs, though does make you wonder WTF.. Have you thought about soaking the carb inlet rubbers to soften them again if they are generally OK on the sealing lips. Plenty of options out there. 

You might be on to something there, looking like £54 is the cheapest for a new set. They weren't actually too bad to refit really considering its January but come the warmer weather I'll have them off and inspect for cracks etc 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 10:14 PM, Ian_H said:

No - Do you know anyone who wants my Bros - I've got a GPZ to buy - actually my Bros would probably do as a LDU bike, I only want £500ish for it

Maybe... tell me about it

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alex_H said:

You might be on to something there, looking like £54 is the cheapest for a new set. They weren't actually too bad to refit really considering its January but come the warmer weather I'll have them off and inspect for cracks etc 

That's why I mentioned it, I have a few old sets to eventually have ago at, so your welcome to perfect it for me first 😉

@CMSMJ1, quick off the mark (no pun 😉) thankfully, I don't have room for one of em', as I have always fancied doing my my own version on a 650.😆

• Haha 1

lqxDBm0.jpg

3Vqx99D.jpg

Wintergreen oil on the rubbers to soften them, get the real stuff.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...