Today I think I robbed a man

Alex_H

HxDzBKN.jpg

ri0JpFw_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

EXGQH5U_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

tKxgGjR_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

It runs on as many cylinders as it feels like depending on its mood, and wants some tidying but otherwise I'm well chuffed for the cash. It's been sat for a good while I think so some carb fettling and new plugs will see it right. And i's got a fuel gauge! And an MOT! 

• Like 12

Teeny weeny bit jealous Nicely done

Now what's supposed to happen is you wheel it around the garage Try and put it on the centre stand Complain about it being to much of a handful and the sell on for a profit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10

20 minutes ago, EXUPDEL said:

Teeny weeny bit jealous Nicely done

Now what's supposed to happen is you wheel it around the garage Try and put it on the centre stand Complain about it being to much of a handful and the sell on for a profit

It has a centre stand?! 😂

• Haha 1

Bloody hell. Now that is going to be tough to beat. *

*It's not a race etc... 

• Haha 4

There's a CBR1000 local to me that is tantalisingly close to the new budget, yours looks lovelier by a margin though, and cheaper! Well played.

Have many of these done the LDD/LDU? In fact, broader related question - Have those who have done it before ever collated opinion on the "most suitable" bikes to do it?

I imagine a big reliable under-stressed 1000 like this with a decent sized tank, good wind protection and  a comfy seating position is hard to beat?

I'm having second thoughts on my brothers VT500 Custom - research reveals 12.5 litre tank, and only 50mpg, and ape bars, and no screen. I think it's odd, and inappropriately cool, but I'm guessing after the initial "oh that's looks fun!" has worn off and you're trying to find a petrol station somewhere remote at XX past midnight because you've got a tank with the capacity of a urine sample pot, choosing a more suitable bike would feel like the right thing to have done quite easily?

Got a Dullville on my radar too, which I think might hit the spot, going to have a look at that after new year.

• Like 2

There was a CBR 1000 on last years run. Looked the business Had raised handlebars. 

I did it on a 91 CBR600 last year and it was pretty much spot on. 120mile tank range was a bit low but apart from that I had a blast on it

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, EXUPDEL said:

There was a CBR 1000 on last years run. Looked the business Had raised handlebars. 

I did it on a 91 CBR600 last year and it was pretty much spot on. 120mile tank range was a bit low but apart from that I had a blast on it

Ah, 600FM! I was wondering about those too - plenty about in various states of disrepair for the right money.

I owned a few back in the day and they always seemed to be capable of doing anything you wanted them to do, glad to hear it worked out for you on the run!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, toosmooth said:

There's a CBR1000 local to me that is tantalisingly close to the new budget, yours looks lovelier by a margin though, and cheaper! Well played.

Have many of these done the LDD/LDU? In fact, broader related question - Have those who have done it before ever collated opinion on the "most suitable" bikes to do it?

I imagine a big reliable under-stressed 1000 like this with a decent sized tank, good wind protection and  a comfy seating position is hard to beat?

I'm having second thoughts on my brothers VT500 Custom - research reveals 12.5 litre tank, and only 50mpg, and ape bars, and no screen. I think it's odd, and inappropriately cool, but I'm guessing after the initial "oh that's looks fun!" has worn off and you're trying to find a petrol station somewhere remote at XX past midnight because you've got a tank with the capacity of a urine sample pot, choosing a more suitable bike would feel like the right thing to have done quite easily?

Got a Dullville on my radar too, which I think might hit the spot, going to have a look at that after new year.

I reckon a CBRthou is about the ideal bike for the LDC.

There is something about 90's Hondas that suits the whole thing! 

(Says the bloke who used a Yamaha last year.)

• Like 4

I’m impressed !

Im not a big Honda fan but it’d be hard for even me to walk past it at that sort of price, and it’s a proper big bore, 16v IL4 chain drive Jap bike so it ticks a lot of box’s. 

Well done. 

• Like 3

Dels CBR6 seemed pretty much perfect for the task everywhere and if I had my clever head on would be my choice. 

The zzr was great, but was not fabulous on fuel and throwing it around in the dark whilst  tired was an effort 😂  few places (apart from. Mad overtakes) that the extra grunt counted. 

Wouldnt change anything though and some mods to the zzr would help next time 😊

Angus's 9r was ossum 😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sev said:

don't forget he always wanted one as a boy growing up and played on his dad's one right up until he didn't realise it had a sidestand or the strength to get it on it.

That and the fact he was a colossal bellend to whom karma will issue a massive kicking.

Thieves who steal from charity get their own level of hell.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Alex_H said:

HxDzBKN.jpg

ri0JpFw_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

EXGQH5U_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

tKxgGjR_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

It runs on as many cylinders as it feels like depending on its mood, and wants some tidying but otherwise I'm well chuffed for the cash. It's been sat for a good while I think so some carb fettling and new plugs will see it right. And i's got a fuel gauge! And an MOT! 

That looks like a proper bike for the job, good work!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, toosmooth said:

I've never ridden the LDD, but I've watched each one pretty closely, and whilst I'm sure some bikes are easier than others, I'm not sure it's the bike that makes the difference.

We've seen 125s do well, GPZs, lots of CBRs, a 916, all sorts.

I think it's the riders. Nige and Ben are relentlessly fast, Hawkati is (in the best possible way because I love him dearly) unhinged in his dedication, and many others are just determined beyond reason.

A bike that will keep going is the bare minimum, beyond that it's down to ignoring pain and fatigue for hours on end regardless of what you're riding.

I will never back away from the assertion that tbe riders are bloody heroes, every single one of them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, TKDMitch said:

I've never ridden the LDD, but I've watched each one pretty closely, and whilst I'm sure some bikes are easier than others, I'm not sure it's the bike that makes the difference.

We've seen 125s do well, GPZs, lots of CBRs, a 916, all sorts.

I think it's the riders. Nige and Ben are relentlessly fast, Hawkati is (in the best possible way because I love him dearly) unhinged in his dedication, and many others are just determined beyond reason.

A bike that will keep going is the bare minimum, beyond that it's down to ignoring pain and fatigue for hours on end regardless of what you're riding.

I will never back away from the assertion that tbe riders are bloody heroes, every single one of them.

You do know I was hoping to buy myself the perfect way to having a nice simple day out?

🤣

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, toosmooth said:

You do know I was hoping to buy myself the perfect way to having a nice simple day out?

🤣

I did it on an old GPZ750.

Massive fuel tank, economical, flip up screen and a very thick seat meant 220-250 miles between stops was a doddle. All it had to do was not break it's spectacularly loose cam chain, and I wafted virtually strees free from JoG to Le in a little over 18 hours.

The older bikes P&W generation bikes from mid to late 80's tend to have huge fuel tanks compared to the stuff from the 90's which tend to have smaller tanks. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, johnnymack63 said:

I did it on an old GPZ750.

Massive fuel tank, economical, flip up screen and a very thick seat meant 220-250 miles between stops was a doddle. All it had to do was not break it's spectacularly loose cam chain, and I wafted virtually strees free from JoG to Le in a little over 18 hours.

The older bikes P&W generation bikes from mid to late 80's tend to have huge fuel tanks compared to the stuff from the 90's which tend to have smaller tanks. 

Didn't you guide the @Fatman in when his lights were fukkered so you crossed the line equal first whilst those behind got caught by Hurricane Bastard? 

I predict that the classification 'P&W generation' will become a thing.

I bet you can't find a way to get Iit printed in the next edition of FB @johnnymack63

I like the additional dimension that riding an absolute shitheap gives to the challenge.  

My GT550 after I somehow nursed it home from the 2013 event. Turn it up:

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Mr.Incredible said:

I like the additional dimension that riding an absolute shitheap gives to the challenge.  

My first ever bike was one of these. Not by choice I hasten to add I inherited it.

I got 2.5k for it trading it against a new Thunderace

1 hour ago, hawkati said:

Didn't you guide the @Fatman in when his lights were fukkered so you crossed the line equal first whilst those behind got caught by Hurricane Bastard? 

Yep, that was the one.

Never ridden in anything like it before it since. Properly biblical storm.

I did indeed ride with Tim for the last bit and we shared my headlight. Although I did make sure my bike was 1 or 2ft infront of his upon arrival at the carpark. Not that it’s a race or anything…….

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mr.Incredible said:

Smooooooooth! 

• 4 weeks later...

So yesterday I insured it, and thought I better nip it round the block to see if it goes in a straight line and see if cylinder #4 wanted to join the party. 

It does not go in a straight line. Cylinder #4 stayed at home. 

The yokes are twisted to the left, so hopefully just a loosen of the forks in the yokes and the yoke top nut and they'll go back straight again, wasn't overly worried about it. 

The cylinder though, I was looking in the mirror to see plumes of smoke only the red arrows could compete with, not good. 

lqxDBm0.jpg

It was decidedly hard to get going again as well after this pic, so took it home again. 

Last night I lifted the tank, and its got a thing which props it up like a car bonnet, nice one. Spark plug out, black as you like and dry as a bone. Chucked it back in the plug boot, grounded it on the rocker cover bolt and hit the button which resulted in a juicy spark. 

Due to KTM's and their ability to cost me money, I recently purchased a compression testing kit. So as the plug was out I thought we'd chuck that on and see what we got. Over 150psi, plenty. So that leaves fuel.

Today was a new day so between taking the cat to the vet and getting my booster perforation I tackled the carbs. 

3Vqx99D.jpg

They needed the persuasion of a hammer handle to prise them out of the boots but as soon as I did I thought I heard a rattle 🙄

Mole grips to the knackered float bowl screws, lifted the bowl off and the main jet fell out and rolled somewhere on the floor! Managed to find it, and emulsion tube wasn't screwed in either, along with the pilot jet that was holding on by a thread or two. 

This is good, the jets aren't blocked and it'd explain why there wasn't even so much as a backfire when running. 

Anyway, chucked it back together again enough to run, replaced a section of the fuel tap vac line as it had a hole in which wouldn't have helped and hey presto, eventually all 4 cylinders. Very happy with that, though what I didn't do in my excitement was check the rest of them so that's going to be done and if I'm having the carbs out again I might as well replace the inlet rubbers, clamps etc as they all look like they've been in the sea, and some of the hoses have seen much better days. 

• Like 16