Revenge of the unklefukker

hawkati

Two steps forward,  two back today with clipons. The originals are too short and both slightly bent. Meh. Cue cheapo replacements, longer & slightly raised. However they foul the top yoke bolts. My brain just did a lateral drift and rather than having them conventionally sloping down I'll reverse that and with the bars pulled back a little that might work.

Pics as was and as they are now.

20220204_155226

20220204_155245

20220204_170720

20220204_170739

• Like 2

Small adjustment of bars, a few mms at the forks = about half inch forward at the end of the bars. Enough to clear fuel tank and provide quite a comfortable riding position. 

Again with the small adjustments on the gear lever. Took 2mm off sidestand bolt and added a couple of washers to linkage = lever clears link rod and could be lowered to provide a minimalist movement smooth change. Result.

20220205_125804

• Like 5

Bit of titting about today - attempted to sling bars above top yoke but they fouled the top fairing brace etc. Back under top yoke but I dropped the forks about 15mm. I'll see how that handles and feels. 

20220211_134448

Whipped coils out of position to see if the airbox @firebeastlent me would fit. Nope, unfortunately not - id best return it then. Dang! Used daft selection of tools to whip plugs out and replace with new. Instantly a wee bit smoother.

20220211_142741

Slung it in murdervan and zooped to private test track to give it a whirl and also because I couldn't resist having a ride. First time since Donington so it helped quell the internal "whatifwhatifwhatif"...I happy.

20220211_162213

20220211_162238

20220211_162613

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What was the problem with the airbox, which bit was it that didn't allow it to fit? If it's the carb plate, so the spacing is wrong or something else small?  

Edit,,,,, could you possibly work a bit of steel/Ali etc up both sides of the clock/light bracket, to attach and support the fairing ok? Does it utilise the original frame mounts... It would clean the lines up no end and possibly allow the clip ons back above the yoke 🤔

Edited by firebeast
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, firebeast said:

What was the problem with the airbox, which bit was it that didn't allow it to fit? If it's the carb plate, so the spacing is wrong or something else small?  

Edit,,,,, could you possibly work a bit of steel/Ali etc up both sides of the clock/light bracket, to attach and support the fairing ok? Does it utilise the original frame mounts... It would clean the lines up no end and possibly allow the clip ons back above the yoke 🤔

There's almost no room at all between the left (looking forward) carb inlet and the frame - not enough for an inlet rubber to cover the gap between airbox & carbs. It might require a closer look with a micrometer I have handy but that can wait till a warmer day. The riding position seems pretty good really - I'm not a great fan of sit up bikes and it's set up more forgiving than the 996 which is guaranteed hell after 500 miles.

Work in progress - I'll be looking at setting the forks up better since they're a bit crashy on a rough road (see above) 

Brakes are crap as well. They came straight off my hawk without altering at all and that which is good for the hawk is useless for unklefukker- must weigh at least 50lbs more and whilst the brakes are firm they have fuckall stopping power. Caliper strip and pad check just in case there's contamination methinks.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hawkati said:

There's almost no room at all between the left (looking forward) carb inlet and the frame - not enough for an inlet rubber to cover the gap between airbox & carbs. It might require a closer look with a micrometer I have handy but that can wait till a warmer day. The riding position seems pretty good really - I'm not a great fan of sit up bikes and it's set up more forgiving than the 996 which is guaranteed hell after 500 miles.

Work in progress - I'll be looking at setting the forks up better since they're a bit crashy on a rough road (see above) 

Brakes are crap as well. They came straight off my hawk without altering at all and that which is good for the hawk is useless for unklefukker- must weigh at least 50lbs more and whilst the brakes are firm they have fuckall stopping power. Caliper strip and pad check just in case there's contamination methinks.

If you take the tank off again, send me a shot of the area and I will compare to mine. Did you move the coils to the rear frame cross member, where they are supposed to sit, on a bracket? I moved a load of bits the other week from one bit of storage to another and noticed I had atleast another tri arm bottom airbox half, maybe top as well. Think there was also a Cbr600f2/3 airbox knocking about which is likely narrower and uses the same set up as the tri arm, bolting to a mounting plate,, but not sure about the shape under tank fit, as never tried it. If I have another full tri arm airbox and if after looking more intensely, you can see the box fitting, then provided the plate still seals up OK, just grind it down to get it to fit.. Just let me check I have the full box first ok😂

I do have a 600 f4 airbox but it's nothing like the shape,, I did mention before, I intend on fitting a gen 1 r6 tank as it lines up lovely to the frame and then mod the r6 airbox to go with it,,fairly heavily, to see how that works,, or not, 🤣

BTW, not sure where you are on the weight side, mine, minus fairing, was about 155kg, so I doubt it's as heavy as you think,the nc23 was a decent bit lighter than the 29, unless of course it's those steel engine mount plates you used 😏

• Like 1

Haaaa! Yup, those plates were deliberate overkill because it's the first time I've done this kind of thing. 

I'm very happy to move the coils to the back but the crucial thing is the lack of space on the left hand side and there's no wriggle room to shift the engine over to the right at all. 

I'll report back after a proper measuring frenzy. Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James306 said:

At least the higher bars should make it a little more comfortable, can't say I envy that riding position for a day though! 

Looks like some good progress 👍🏻

I'm used to the 996 so it feels positively sofaesque by comparism,  especially since that seat is so low!😂

• Like 1