Revenge of the unklefukker

hawkati

Shifting this over since there's plenty to be done still to make it a functioning thing. 

At the last sighting it made a pathetic 71bhp on @Sideshow Pob's dyno, whilst trying to kill him with leccy. It's survived two trackdays but the real challenge is getting it running properly and road legal. That should be straightforward apart from the matching of the 918 blade loom, cbr400 left hand switches and triumph 675 headlights. All whilst in a crypt cold stable. Verily I say meh.

20211114_144407

Anyway - here's what I did earlier.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cuban pete said:

You will get it done 😁

Yesh - the previously mentioned attempt on sideshow pob's life was due to a dodgy coil. I'm replacing them, ht leads and slinging on a luvverly airbox made and loaned by the equally luvverly @firebeastand that should get it in the ballpark. A standard 918 blade shoves out 122bhp - anything over 100bhp I will regard as a result and live with it.

The headlights though...that's a mind melter...the blade loom has separate dip & main lights with relays. The 675 light configuration I've yet to work out. @lorenzo- does yours have both lights on, dipped and main, or one or tother?

50 minutes ago, hawkati said:

The headlights though...that's a mind melter...the blade loom has separate dip & main lights with relays. The 675 light configuration I've yet to work out. @lorenzo- does yours have both lights on, dipped and main, or one or tother?

I dunno, I can't see it from the lounge when it's in the garage. 

I might tell you later if I pull my finger out.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, hawkati said:

Yesh - the previously mentioned attempt on sideshow pob's life was due to a dodgy coil. I'm replacing them, ht leads and slinging on a luvverly airbox made and loaned by the equally luvverly @firebeastand that should get it in the ballpark. A standard 918 blade shoves out 122bhp - anything over 100bhp I will regard as a result and live with it.

When you eventually sort it all on the leccy front, I reckon you should be more towards 110 area if lucky, plus maybe more lower/mid with a longer zorst?  That figure obviously may need a bit of magic carb work to get it fangtastic sweet as well unless you were crazy lucky..  I would also possibly mod the ignition rotor pick up in the casing to add a bit of advance, which wouldn't do any harm imo. Have actually got an adjustable rotor here( not fitted) you can borrow to find out, if you ever felt the urge to try it once it's all running fairly tickety boo.. 👍

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hawkati said:

I'll take that as a compliment shall I?

It was meant as one.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, firebeast said:

When you eventually sort it all on the leccy front, I reckon you should be more towards 110 area if lucky, plus maybe more lower/mid with a longer zorst?  That figure obviously may need a bit of magic carb work to get it fangtastic sweet as well unless you were crazy lucky..  I would also possibly mod the ignition rotor pick up in the casing to add a bit of advance, which wouldn't do any harm imo. Have actually got an adjustable rotor here( not fitted) you can borrow to find out, if you ever felt the urge to try it once it's all running fairly tickety boo.. 👍

Cheers for that - a cunning plan will involve the aforementioned coils & leads (oh, new plugs bought as well,celebrating the £600 budget, go me!) and then around March plot a trackday at cadwell with another pop on the dyno beforehand...

Just now, Thunderbolt said:

It was meant as one.

You're too kind. If you're using that gpz900 again I'll do my damndest to source some decent tyres for it rather than the scarey things you have now...

Just now, hawkati said:

You're too kind. If you're using that gpz900 again I'll do my damndest to source some decent tyres for it rather than the scarey things you have now...

They are only twenty years old and have done two longest days

@Herr V.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

They are only twenty years old and have done two longest days

@Herr V.

My offer still stands but prices seem to have crept up so need to check if I can still be competitive.

On 12/23/2021 at 10:24 PM, Jim Lindsay said:

Get cracking James, no get out of jail card this year #2022😘

I'm on it like a plate tectonic - well, once this week of shite work I'd over I've seven days off to see what damage I can do. Even bought some cheepo indicators yesterday...

• 1 month later...

Lurched outside for a bit of simple tasks - fitted indicators front & rear, chainguard and made an attempt to adjust gearshift. It's too high but if lowered it fouls its own linkage. Lowered it a tiny bit but I need to file down a sidestand bolt for more clearance.

20220201_162413

20220201_162359

20220201_165313

• Like 3

Your gear lever is the issue, original swings out and misses,, like a few hondas of that vintage.. 

Take it off, place lever in smooth vice and use teeny thor a couple of times and/or just use a couple of sockets etc at the correct bending points and tighten up a lot going past the point you want it at,, either way it will fix it.. 

If I happen to come across a spare swingarm chain tensioner, I will throw it up, no promises mind, lol, so you can ditch the Allen bolt, is it both sides,,, that's got to be a headache when it needs adjustment? 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, firebeast said:

Your gear lever is the issue, original swings out and misses,, like a few hondas of that vintage.. 

Take it off, place lever in smooth vice and use teeny thor a couple of times and/or just use a couple of sockets etc at the correct bending points and tighten up a lot going past the point you want it at,, either way it will fix it.. 

If I happen to come across a spare swingarm chain tensioner, I will throw it up, no promises mind, lol, so you can ditch the Allen bolt, is it both sides,,, that's got to be a headache when it needs adjustment? 

Yes, it is. I've only adjusted it once since it's a brand new chain but yes, it's a future ballache. Both sides. Might well be down your way in a month...hurhurhur..

I'm pretty sure that lever will snap if I try bending it. It's at least 30 years old. If I take 2mm off the rear sidestand bolt then I can washer the link inwards - there's 1 mm of interference. 

1 hour ago, hawkati said:

Yes, it is. I've only adjusted it once since it's a brand new chain but yes, it's a future ballache. Both sides. Might well be down your way in a month...hurhurhur..

I'm pretty sure that lever will snap if I try bending it. It's at least 30 years old. If I take 2mm off the rear sidestand bolt then I can washer the link inwards - there's 1 mm of interference. 

If its decent Ali, not cast, with some proper heat whilst applying pressure in the right areas should see it bend but it's your call.. 

I will take a look, but if needed, I can take one adjuster out of my gull swinger and measure length etc and see if I have a couple of similar bolts and then it's only matching nuts,, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Postie just delivered new clip ons. £27. Longer that the piss short originals which I shall sell for ninety gazillion pounds therefore keeping within budget.

20220202_145452

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

M8-1.25mm bolts for the chain adjuster, unless its a daft Honda 7mm thread? 

16 minutes ago, hawkati said:

I pinged the above pic onto the ldu Watts app group, who were naturally quite inspired...

IMG-20220202-WA0010

@hawkati You didn't have my expressed permission to reproduce my masterpiece. So in view of the blatent breach of copyright I am gonna sue you for billions. Oh and the 998.

For everyone else I will be auctioning off the original all proceeds to the LDC

Happy to accept commisions

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, EXUPDEL said:

@hawkati You didn't have my expressed permission to reproduce my masterpiece. So in view of the blatent breach of copyright I am gonna sue you for billions. Oh and the 998.

Ah - my profuse apologies. I'm crap with names so hadn't realised it was you. Have two billion and every 998 I own*

*I own a 996.😛

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EXUPDEL said:

NFT??

26 minutes ago, hawkati said:

National Fucking Trust? 

Do you think they would buy it?

You knows what it is Scullion.