LDU 2024 starts here

jaycee

10 hours ago, jaycee said:

I'll definitely be in touch. What size is the front master cylinder for starters? Possibly the ignition switch, key and the seat lock too, as I'm going to have to come up with solutions to the broken key in the ignition, as that one key operates the locks on the fairing cubby, seat release and panniers too. 

I will have to get into it once I've managed to clear some room in my ridiculously crowded garage. 

Extra lights will never go unwanted obviously, it was one of my first thoughts, as I recalled fumbling about in the dark with the feeble lamp on the XJ previously. 

A locksmith will be able to retry the broken key and cut a new non-HISS key.

18 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

A locksmith will be able to retry the broken key and cut a new non-HISS key.

I'm hoping to get the broken half of the key out and try for this. During the week, I'll make some garage space, then strip the smashed up fairings off. 

I think I will start a proper project thread, so folk like @fastfreddybikes who loved the saga of the SV of Doom, can get their chuckles 😁

• Like 1

Just now, jaycee said:

I'm hoping to get the broken half of the key out and try for this. During the week, I'll make some garage space, then strip the smashed up fairings off. 

I think I will start a proper project thread, so folk like @fastfreddybikes who loved the saga of the SV of Doom, can get their chuckles 😁

You are repairing said panels presumably?  Give it the staple look on the outside, not the inside as per normal repairs and it's a proper frankenfurter then 😉

Just now, firebeast said:

You are repairing said panels presumably?  Give it the staple look on the outside, not the inside as per normal repairs and it's a proper frankenfurter then 😉

There are bits missing entirely. It's pretty crusty. The swingarm is rusty too and that's a worry, since the shaft is in there. I'll scrape it all down and see. I haven't even looked over properly, I may have to stick up on derusting potions. 

On 7/3/2021 at 8:42 AM, IforB said:

I think @wesifumeshould donate a spares bike. This would have two effects, firstly allow you to stay in budget and provide the bits and secondly stops me wondering how a man who rides a 1098 can also ride a Dullville!

This is likely to be a proper LDC weapon. Comfy, reliable, decent tank range, good weather protection etc. Looks like the mighty FZ6 will have some competition! 

I am a mysterious man

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jaycee said:

There are bits missing entirely. It's pretty crusty. The swingarm is rusty too and that's a worry, since the shaft is in there. I'll scrape it all down and see. I haven't even looked over properly, I may have to stick up on derusting potions. 

That steel outer was a cost thing I reckon, which in turn became a wear issue, unlike the cast Ali revere/ntv jobbie,, maybe one of those would fit easy for peace of mind?  

As for the panels, its an ldu bike, so from what I gather so far, it's not supposed to be dressed like a prima dona,, unless your name is @Gix, who happens to fall across stuff that could sit in a dealers 😂

I am sure with a fair bit of time, few old panel bits for filling holes, etc, a dremel and a couple of other tools , they can be made into something hald decent again for little wedge.. 👍

1 hour ago, hylar1000 said:

how does that work?

They cut the key that you send them.

35 minutes ago, firebeast said:

That steel outer was a cost thing I reckon, which in turn became a wear issue, unlike the cast Ali revere/ntv jobbie,, maybe one of those would fit easy for peace of mind?  

As for the panels, its an ldu bike, so from what I gather so far, it's not supposed to be dressed like a prima dona,, unless your name is @Gix, who happens to fall across stuff that could sit in a dealers 😂

I am sure with a fair bit of time, few old panel bits for filling holes, etc, a dremel and a couple of other tools , they can be made into something hald decent again for little wedge.. 👍

I have a complete Triumph Sprint RS front fairing in my garage. I was looking at it last night with deep thought. That would allow a decent headlamp too, or give space for fitment of two LED lamps... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

They cut the key that you send them.

When I bought the tl, it had no key at all, but a guy on a forum back then offered to make one, so I sent the barrel away and it came back with a working key..  Cost was some beer money I sent him as a thanks,, so it could possibly be done locally with or without the key, in theory.. 

23 minutes ago, firebeast said:

When I bought the tl, it had no key at all, but a guy on a forum back then offered to make one, so I sent the barrel away and it came back with a working key..  Cost was some beer money I sent him as a thanks,, so it could possibly be done locally with or without the key, in theory.. 

just need a competent lock smith 

22 minutes ago, firebeast said:

The main problem is that half of the key is down in the barrel.

I'll remove it and have a look to see if I can extract it in some non-destructive manner 

Just now, jaycee said:

The main problem is that half of the key is down in the barrel.

I'll remove it and have a look to see if I can extract it in some non-destructive manner 

Do you have the key number?

2 minutes ago, jaycee said:

I haven't checked. Kids had me run off my feet yesterday 

The link I put up above can cut to the number.

To get the broken bit out, I use a lot of penetrating fluid and tweezers.

I don’t use glue and a matchstick.

5 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

The link I put up above can cut to the number.

To get the broken bit out, I use a lot of penetrating fluid and tweezers.

I don’t use glue and a matchstick.

I had no intention of glueing the lock tumblers up😁

On 7/3/2021 at 8:46 AM, firebeast said:

They are a bit lazier than ya fz6,, so unless it's redlined all the way, I doubt it.. 😂

The fuel gauge of a redlined deauville, yesterday 

d88345a62afe03dbc1837db5704ba1ef.jpg

it will be fine on long stints, between legal and fast cruising speeds, but hammering it in towns and on motorway at high revs..do not pass fuel station 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, wesifume said:

The fuel gauge of a redlined deauville, yesterday 

d88345a62afe03dbc1837db5704ba1ef.jpg

it will be fine on long stints, between legal and fast cruising speeds, but hammering it in towns and on motorway at high revs..do not pass fuel station 

Both my old ntv and revere were pretty good overall, I didn't hang about commuting etc,, maybe all the extra weight of them makes it worse? I would have thought it's fairly happy sat at 90'ish all day long? 

Maybe the idea that my tl will cost more like double in fuel,, so buying a cheap ntv etc instead, what with it sat at low 'crusiing" speeds, therefore not horrendously juicy,, would not need a loan taking out after all then, 🤔 😂😂

• Like 1

You can easily thrash a bros or ntv all day long and get over 50mpg. I've no idea how well a dullsville does but they've a tad more oomph vs more weight. 

Edited by hawkati

On 7/4/2021 at 12:19 PM, Gix said:

No photo description available.

That is seriously good going! What was your time in the end? I don't think we could have realistically done it much faster than the 22hrs we managed it in. Maybe 21:30 or so without the electrical issue at P4 that meant missing a ferry, but it was dark when we got to Inversnecky and the sun was just thinking about rising again when we arrived at JOG. 

15 hours ago, jaycee said:

That's fantastic. 

@Gobert23has been given the VIN to check with his contacts whether it is pre-HISS or not. 

Hi, a couple of quick calls has it down as 'pre-HISS', so no (expensive) immobiliser system :thumbsup:

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, wesifume said:

Worst was 120miles out of a full tank, best 170, for me 

That's the same as the FZ6 managed. On straight runs down the motorway to Land's End sitting at 90-95mph (about 8000rpm in 6th) then it did 120 miles to the fuel light flashing. When being a little gentler with the revs, then it was 160-170miles. 

1 hour ago, hawkati said:

You can easily thrash a bros or ntv all day long and get over 50mpg. I've no idea how well a dullsville does but they've a tad more oomph vs more weight. 

That's what I thought tbh..  But as wesi has one, I ran the earlier lighter stuff, so guess newer isn't always better in some ways... 

16 minutes ago, IforB said:

That's the same as the FZ6 managed. On straight runs down the motorway to Land's End sitting at 90-95mph (about 8000rpm in 6th) then it did 120 miles to the fuel light flashing. When being a little gentler with the revs, then it was 160-170miles. 

The only real issue with the little v twin lump, is it has 5 not 6 gears and I felt anything over about 85 would induce a few vibes and make fuel go down from good to just OK.. 

Saying that, having 2 slash cut Supertrapps fiited, originally from a bros, probably induced a few of the vibes atleast and maybe didn't help the fuel as it ran as 2 singles.. 😂

• Like 1