Poor Mans Parts Washer

daver555

Seems to work rather well!

http://www.cookhaus.co.uk/vinegar/index.htm

Whats happening here is that vinegar is between 5-15% acetic acid a mild organic acid compare to mineral acids like hydrochrloric, phopshoric etc.

What you are doing is gently etching those parts. Which is fine and works well on sensitive items. For rugged items you could upgrade a little, coke is stronger, I think it is similar strengh acid but is phosphoric, ouch.

Bleach is peroxide which will have indetermiate results. If you have organic residues it might lift them off. Be careful on aluminium as it forms an oxide layer that seals it. You might try caustic and buffing.

A milder approach on steel is the reverse, that is use caustic soda a strong base (NaOH), be careful though as both strong acids and bases burn you.

NaOH by nature does not etch which is a good thing as once metal is etched off you cant put it back

Anyone know how this etching process affects screw threads pls ?

Not sure if this helps but I noticed Caustic soda mentioned, it will eat paint so be careful, and as it has a high pH it will dissolve aluminium. oh and it has a real go at body parts too.....

I put my RGV 250 barrels, power valves, heads and PV covers in a bath of vinegar and after 36 hrs it had marked the cylinder plating. They needed doing anyway, but I feel I should point this out to all other forum members. It did do a lovely job on all the c**p in the coolant galleries and saved me a job with a wire brush.

• 2 weeks later...

right, after a few days under soak the coke had done an excellent job, I finally got the bolts off that exhaust manifold and that can now be sent off to be sand blasted with the rest of the stuff. I highly reccomend this procedure and can confirm that it does not damage aluminium in anyway as all my barrels are aluminium.

*ahem*

there's something missing from your report? :eusa_whistle::lol:

if you are trying to hint about photos well i forgot to take some before i removed the part and cleaned it up. but I will be using this procedure again soon so I will get some before and after pictures of that

• 3 weeks later...

ere's another top tip.....

vinager and tin foil.........dollop the ol vinager on ur pipes and scrub em down..........takes a little bit of elbow grease.....but a sure fire result :thumbsup:

btw...it does not scratch the pipes..

smiled :icon_salut: .

Carrying on from this and maybe not as cheap.... I had to pick up some caustic for a steam boiler from one of our chemical suppliers Performance Chemicals in Erith Kent, the guy there (didin't get his name) was really chatty and helpful, he sells a fair amount of cleaners (acid based I think) used specifically for aluminium, they seem happy to do low volumes too.

http://www.performance-chemicals.net/

I have not spoken to him about this but hey.. :)

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

tried the vinegar remedy for removing rust but i didn't want to ruin anything i wanted to keep so i dug out some old drill bits, left them for 24hrs and scrubbed with a toothbrush and the rust came straight off! forgot to oil them though and by the next day they were red rusty again.

• 3 weeks later...

iv cleaned meny parts with ...evaporater cleaner,used to clean out forced air evaporaters on industrial cooling plants,the chap gave me a tub,did'nt harm the ali,as the fins on the avaporater are ali,did a good job.

• johnnymack63 unpinned this topic

Archived