Poor Mans Parts Washer

daver555

Seems to work rather well!

http://www.cookhaus.co.uk/vinegar/index.htm

Whats happening here is that vinegar is between 5-15% acetic acid a mild organic acid compare to mineral acids like hydrochrloric, phopshoric etc.

What you are doing is gently etching those parts. Which is fine and works well on sensitive items. For rugged items you could upgrade a little, coke is stronger, I think it is similar strengh acid but is phosphoric, ouch.

Bleach is peroxide which will have indetermiate results. If you have organic residues it might lift them off. Be careful on aluminium as it forms an oxide layer that seals it. You might try caustic and buffing.

A milder approach on steel is the reverse, that is use caustic soda a strong base (NaOH), be careful though as both strong acids and bases burn you.

NaOH by nature does not etch which is a good thing as once metal is etched off you cant put it back

how am I gonna do that chassis

to misquote Jaws 'gonna need a bigger box'

That's brilliant!! I'll certainly bear that in mind in the future. Can't believe they came out like that. B)

Like that, good call. I've been descaling the kettle with it for years, we've a dirty great vat of the stuff under the sink.

That is awesome. I'm gonna have to get some big jugs of that and keep them handy in the garage.

Mmm, bigggggg jugggggggss... :rock:

it's what makes the world go round, my friend! :eusa_think::rock:

...surely that's 'fat bottomed girls'? :tacheemoticonwh7:

According to Freddy Mercury, yes.....but look where that got him. :D

• 1 month later...

saw this thread some time ago and tried it with an old, old, old, bicycle brake over the weekend.

I did not have malt vinegar, so tried apple cider vinegar, the cheap processed, filtered, clear stuff.

and it rocked, brake went from crap to looking brand-ass new. I let it soak for 4 days, but that was just me not getting back to it. I did the other brake last night, and will check today, im sure it will sparkle just like the other.

i looked it up to see which vinegar is the most acidic, but have forgotten if malt is stronger or weaker than apple cider vinegar, hope to land some pickling strength stuff soon.

was very impressed!

According to Freddy Mercury, yes.....but look where that got him. :(
:D

saw this thread some time ago and tried it with an old, old, old, bicycle brake over the weekend.

I did not have malt vinegar, so tried apple cider vinegar, the cheap processed, filtered, clear stuff.

and it rocked, brake went from crap to looking brand-ass new. I let it soak for 4 days, but that was just me not getting back to it. I did the other brake last night, and will check today, im sure it will sparkle just like the other.

i looked it up to see which vinegar is the most acidic, but have forgotten if malt is stronger or weaker than apple cider vinegar, hope to land some pickling strength stuff soon.

was very impressed!

Do you have any before / after piccies? After all, you could have a vested interest in apple cider vinegar and could be just saying it was a success to boost sales!!?? ^_^

Would this work on a bike rim? The wheels on my Gs are fucking shite. The lacquer is long gone and the Aluminum is badly coloured and basically covered in crap. Thinking it could be a way to lovely clean wheels again. Er, don't suppose it would do tyres any good either?

Certainly made a good job of those drive shafts.

What effect would it have on ali?

Good point, anyone know if its is safe of ali. I'm thinking I might drop my carbs in some.

Good point, anyone know if its is safe of ali. I'm thinking I might drop my carbs in some.

You can soak carbs in a popular brand of cola to clean them so I'd guess* that vinegar, being a weaker acid, would be ok too.

* I do reserve the right to be wrong though.

• 1 month later...
Certainly made a good job of those drive shafts.

What effect would it have on ali?

Ive just got a big tub and tried it on an old Bros swingarm and must admit its cleaned up pretty good. Im trying it on some parts for my ZXR at the minute ill let you all know how they come out.

So, if i stick in my rs125 engine, will there be any bits fecked on the outside? what if i let it inside the engine :eusa_wall: as there is no head on it :lol:

• 3 months later...

Im still in shock that SitePoint actually had a photgraphy forum...

And to think Ive been here for years and never noticed before a few days ago.

I agree, Steelsun really seems to know his stuff

• 2 months later...

i use the ultrasonic cleaning tank at work with some stuff called CB50. good stuff as designed to clean aircraft parts. simples.

I got meself a load of ASDA cheapo vinegar and a large plastic container and as soon as I can get the old rim off the bike I am going to see what it does to an aluminium rim covered in shite.

• 2 weeks later...

Well????

Any of you lazy fuckers dipped owt yet??

C`mon!!!!

Gretch?

Please....

• 2 weeks later...

Vinegar/acetic acid, wine (or even fruit juice) will dissolve aluminium, so be careful not to leave things soaking too long1. Also, if you have recently removed the oxide layer by polishing, the bare aluminium will react in possibly unexpected ways, although if the oxide layer is intact the acid should not touch the metal. If there is aluminium powder or swarf present it could react violently to the acid, evolving hydrogen. So along with not charging your battery in a confined space, you should ventilate your vinegar parts washer. and rinse parts off before soaking them, just in case. Magnesium engine parts could also react spectacularly in some cases. My advice - 'test on a portion of the material which cannot be seen'.

1 - I may have worked somewhere a long time ago where someone may have lost an aluminium spanner. It may have been found at the bottom of a 40,000 litre tank of wine some weeks later, as nothing more than a skeleton of the original part. We may have hidden the evidence. Wine containing aluminium ions forms a haze which is difficult to remove, and consumers of aluminium may suffer mental health outcomes2

2 - Alzheimers. Allegedly. What?

Patience dear prat. Patience. There's no point cleaning the sodding thing at the moment. The salt is still around and the wheel is under an inch of wax.

@Kens. Thanks for the heads up. I wasn't going to leave it for too long. Not over night but as I have two sets of wheels for the bike. The winter one and a summer one in far better condition I feel it is okay to push the boundaries of science a bit.

Yeah I know what you are thinking. What a guy. Willing to take one for the team.

Whadda ya mean that's not what you were thinking?

Archived