Srad Quick Shifter On The Cheep.....real Cheep

speedy sie

I know it won’t work on an 08 gsxr 750, so it's probably similar for most FI suzukis of the 2006-2009 vintage. If you have it in gear and running then activate the sidestand switch, the bike just cuts out dead and you have to re-start it on the button.

Interested to see how it works with carbed bikes though – could save me shelling out a few hundred quid for a proper quick shifter!! :D

Edited by gsxr renegade

...on a carbed bike, wouldnt you get a backfire?

yes. fucking briliant.

I had a QS on the R1 and it would give a little 'pop' from the exhaust on the up-shift. and it did great 'kill switch backfires'

ahhhhh...... carbs.

The rest of this thread can be best described as 'piss poor'

• Like 1

I miss kill switch antics.....

Anyway, just tried this, wont work on a GSXR 1000 either, so you are right Mr Renegade.

It just stalled and I had to pull the clutch in to restart, somewhat defeating the object. A lot.

The only thing I’d be worried about (assuming this set up utilises the side-stand cutout switch) if you get the length of the cut-out wrong, would you risk completely stalling the engine at all? Or is the length of the cut out so short that stalling isn’t an issue?

No you won't stall the bike unless you are filtering through traffic, at 2000rpm. You are killing the ignition so yes hte engine will die if you test it on a paddock stand, on track you effectivly kill and bump start the engine again, but this all happens in about 50 milliseconds (0.05 seconds), though it's possible with high end systems to do it in less than 20 milliseconds.

On a modern fi bike you won't turn the dash etc. off because you're not killing the power to the ecu, only the coils.

With the example of the Buildbase BMW, it will be a high end system, and if it's based on the bosch system the gear cut kills the igniton completely for a few milliseconds, then fires the ingnition massivly retarded, returning it to full advance over a few cycles. the whole process should take less than 20millisecs, but if you get the timing wrong, and it is massivly adjustable in both the length of the kill time and the advance curve, you will cause damage to the exhaust valves, and othe engine, gearbox components.

Edited by Superdunc

I seem to remember someone making an anti flip wheelie switch in a similar way?

Micro switch on the number plate? :biggrinvk4:

• Like 1

I miss kill switch antics.....

Anyway, just tried this, wont work on a GSXR 1000 either, so you are right Mr Renegade.

It just stalled and I had to pull the clutch in to restart, somewhat defeating the object. A lot.

Depends on the year and whats on the bike............

http://shop.yoshimura-jp.com/en/product/syousai.php?id=1822

Saw sie's thread and it got me thinking so spoke to crescent and this is still available to order from yosh but is designed to work with the kit ecu + loom. At a guess it would kill the engine like the side stand but not prime the fuel pump when its released (guess the side stand does just like the kill switch?). There were a few other options discussed that could work but unlikely too well with the stock ecu/loom.

mow have Hk3 bracket fitted.....yep dry lay carbon...and two fixing points on pivot and one slotted to allow for adjust ment.

the yosh one iv seen before(use to be pink!!) and it was this that got me thinking and also the xro bike set up,im sure it can be done.....

Edited by speedy sie

Better off with a proximity switch but this will work well as we have completed a similar set up...............however sidestand switches will cut the ignition for as long as the switch is activated........way to long. Normal cut time is 30ms and we also program a 'dead time' after the switch is activated.

Tis true that to ride a bike even around town with a q/s is brilliant.

Regarding backfiring, I seem to remember the carbed BSB bikes of the late nineties backfiring more than the injected bikes as they just had an ignition cut rather than a fuel and ignition cut during the shift.

• 2 months later...

Early supersport bikes couldn't/didn't have the facilities for a quick shifter so the horn switch on the handlebars (were much more production based back then) was connected to the ignition. Pull up on the gear lever tap the button. Quick shift done.

A friend..ahem...heard of this back in the day and wired his horn switch up to do just this. But the horn wasn't disconnected.

bbbbwwwwaaaaaAAAAAAAARRRRRRPPPPPPPP beep bbbbbbBBBBBBWWWWWAAAAAAARRRRRRRRPPPPP beep bbwwwWWWWAAAARRRRPPPP etc

But your "friend" comes across as a person who is far to clever to do somthing like this :biggrinvk4:

Sounds like something i would do.....

• 1 year later...

Done this on my VTR SP1

Plugged it in to the PC III. It's got quickshift built in.

Then fitted a quickshifter in the control rod & it wasn't as good as the limit switch.

Shifting with a wide open throttle is a proper blast though.

Well worth the effort for the grin factor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...