R1 monoblock calipers with Brembo M/C

Zakalwe

OK, so here's the plan.

I have picked up a set of 07 R1 monoblock calipers (silver spots) and intend mating them up to my '04 Fireblade. First thing I need are longer bolts to suit (the Yam calipers are much deeper than the Tokicos on the 'blade). Anyone know a good source for these bolts?

Secondly, I have a 19x20 Brembo master cylinder on at the moment. I have heard that the M/C bore size is too big for the Yam calipers (the Yam has a 16mm bore size I think)? Has anyone any experience of this setup?

Thanks in advance for any help offered :icon_blackeye:

I've got a Nissin 19 x 21 radial MC on an R1 with blue spot calipers. It works fine. :o

Foo, would that happen to be a radial m/c from a later model R1? have you got one on your R1, did it make much difference?

cheers

Jim

Foo, would that happen to be a radial m/c from a later model R1? have you got one on your R1, did it make much difference?

It's not from an R1. It's an OEM Nissin part I bought from Omnia Racing in Italy. It is on my R1, and the brakes are better --less lever effort and firmer braking. You do lose sensitivity though, so the brakes feel a bit "dead" compared to the original. I'm happy with that trade-off.

It's easy to fit, but a bit of a sod to position with the standard clip-ons as it's bigger than the original unit. If you get it so it doesn't foul the screen, it obscures part of the rev counter. Again, I've not found that matters, as I don't look at the rev counter very much.

The other one to consider if you don't necessarily want to pay for a badge is a Performance Technology MC. I was after one of those originally, but the only people who seem to do them here are Moto 46, and I didn't fancy buying from them. However, Mr Tootall is a PTI dealer, and surely would do you a good price on one.

How are you getting on with that slipper clutch you fitted? Do you find it makes much difference?

OK, so here's the plan.

I have picked up a set of 07 R1 monoblock calipers (silver spots) and intend mating them up to my '04 Fireblade. First thing I need are longer bolts to suit (the Yam calipers are much deeper than the Tokicos on the 'blade). Anyone know a good source for these bolts?

Secondly, I have a 19x20 Brembo master cylinder on at the moment. I have heard that the M/C bore size is too big for the Yam calipers (the Yam has a 16mm bore size I think)? Has anyone any experience of this setup?

Thanks in advance for any help offered :D

The calipers are 06 calipers not 07. I was worried you had the huge 6 piston ones for a moment.

Just order some steel bolts from Pro-Bolt to the correct length. The master cylinder is too big but you may be able to soften it off if you get a different ratio lever for the master cylinder. As it is it may feel too dead and very wooden with a lot of force needed to make the brakes work as you want.

Yes, they are the 4-potters, so must be off an 06.

I cant adjust the lever ratio as it isnt a RCS m/c. I dont suppose you know whay the m/c bore was on the 06 R1s? Was it definitely 16mm?

I've got a Yam 16mm m/c on the trackbike (dunno what year it came off), so I could swap them about to compare and contrast, I suppose. I do like having a firm lever that takes a fair bit of a squeeze, but I dont want to end up with a forearm like Arnie's wanking arm......

You can change the ratio if you by the different ratio lever I think. Brembo sizes don't mean much when you look at OEM as the ratio is different on most of the Brembo stuff anyway. You may find the Yam 16mm bore is fine but earlier R1's used to use 14mm bores and I think the calipers you have do use the same piston sizes as the original blue spots, so it may still be a bit on the firm side for some. Just try is and see...

It's not from an R1. It's an OEM Nissin part I bought from Omnia Racing in Italy. It is on my R1, and the brakes are better --less lever effort and firmer braking. You do lose sensitivity though, so the brakes feel a bit "dead" compared to the original. I'm happy with that trade-off.

It's easy to fit, but a bit of a sod to position with the standard clip-ons as it's bigger than the original unit. If you get it so it doesn't foul the screen, it obscures part of the rev counter. Again, I've not found that matters, as I don't look at the rev counter very much.

The other one to consider if you don't necessarily want to pay for a badge is a Performance Technology MC. I was after one of those originally, but the only people who seem to do them here are Moto 46, and I didn't fancy buying from them. However, Mr Tootall is a PTI dealer, and surely would do you a good price on one.

How are you getting on with that slipper clutch you fitted? Do you find it makes much difference?

Foo - thanks.

as for the slipper clutch... well it's absolutely fantastic :lol:

it really makes a significant difference. I'm VERY impressed.

Arsebollockttittywankingfeck :lol:

I hit a problem, namely swept area. The R1 monoblock pads are only covering half of the disc. The 04 blade runs a 310mm disc, whereas the R1 runs a 320mm disc. Looking at it, I am not sure if the 320mm discs off an 06 blade will match up.

There must be a difference in the length of the caliper mounting points on the forks? I thought that all USD forks had the same mounting points (ie distance from the mounting face to the axle centre?

Narp, but most of the time people have to space the calipers further out by 10mm, I take it you've got the opposite prob? Have a look see if anywhere, brembo etc. does a 320 conversion for yours.

They're the ones currently residing on the GSXR600 trackbike....which I bought as the ones on the K5 front end that I put on the trackbike were a bit manky, which were going to be replaced by the Tokicos off the Fireblade, that were going to be replaced by the Yamaha monoblocs ;)

...the knee bone's connected to the thigh bone, the thigh bone's connected to the hip bone... :D

Seen this problem loads of times with Kawasaki's and a few others.... the only way you can be sure you will have calipers that work ir by using Brembo race spec calipers or the ones that use the same dimensions as the race calipers. They are a lower profile than OEM and as Tootall said will usually use spacers.

Archived