Exhaust Musing

rafjock

My sorry excuse of an Aprilia Pegaso is still languishing in my garage, and in a fit of the'bay splurging I picked up a KTM525 exhaust can to replace the twin cannons fitted to the bike. I've offered it up and it'll fit in place of one of the originals with a link pipe and a new mounting hole in the bracket, it'll save about 8 kilo's in weight and will still be road legal :tumbleweed: once it's repacked.

I know the carburation will need a bit of work to get it right with the new breathing, BUT... when scanning an old PB today, I caught a picture of the KTM Duke 690 with an UNDERSLUNG can. So sure enough, I held my new can up and stone me if there isn't plenty of space to comfortably fit it under the engine (with a bit of bracketry to the cradle - minor details). But if I were to locate it there, would I suffer from horrendous power losses or breathing problems with short headers?

It is only a pipe dream (hoho) but does anybody know if it would be realistic. I presume there may be something like this done to flat trackers/short trackers.

And yes I know it's a shit bike, but i've grown to like tripping over it in my garage for the last 18 months.

Measure the length of the original header(s) and all you need to is fit a loop in the pipe to equal the total length.

Twin rear pipes are interesting they give mor circumference and so can be muffled more. Calculate the the areas of both pipes and see how the compare ... this is purely accedemic btw

Archived