Help please

Nosforatu

Hi all having problems with my reacent e-flay bike FZ750.

So far initial running of bike would not pull/rev past 4,5 thou rpm.

changed fuel pipe ( in was creasing under the tank restricting flow) revs better.

Quick ride running rough pulled plugs No. 1 ceramic broken replaced runns much better.

stall bike pulling away now will not start backfires, and coughs,leave bike over night.

first thing this morning put key in pull choke fires up runs great, quick ride starts running rough afer a few mins.

stop bike will not start backfires etc.

check sidestand cut out and clutch cut out both seam ok.

leave bike till cold starts and revs fine till it gets warm????????????

Please some HHHEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!

Many thanks Nos :eusa_think:

Almost certainly the choke circuit, either the cable or the carb mechanism sticking drop the carbs of and clean all the linkages with wd 40.

Does it seem to run on 2/3 when it's rough? If a carb fettle doesn't improve things, it could be coils. Older Yamaha coils are sh!t at the best of times (second only to Suzuki) and on the FZ they are up high and cop a load of heat directly off the head. They could be breaking down as the motor warms up. On the plus side they're easily located to swap them out.

Thanks all. the sun came out and all was well? runs and starts fine.

Although i did go through the choke cable and a bunch of wiring conectors, But definatly the sun was the cure :tacheemoticonwh7:

Thanks all. the sun came out and all was well? runs and starts fine.

Although i did go through the choke cable and a bunch of wiring conectors, But definatly the sun was the cure ;)

If it don't like the wet, that'll probably be coils too. Chuck a couple of buckets of water at it- best to check now rather than have it cut out 10 miles from home next time it pissed down!

I reckon this might be the prob with my TRX. They're situated right under the front of the tank, and the bike seems to run rougher once it's warmed up. They are the originals - 12 yo.

Would you have to use factory or could you use aftermarket like Dyna or Bosch?

Used to run Bosch on the Guzzi a few years ago.

Reckon my carbs are well past it too, seriously want to get a set of FCRs for it to improve the fuelling.

Had FCRs on the Guzzi as well, so I have an idea how they run.

Bob

+ it's been very cold and wet here over the winter. Bike always seems to run waaaaaaay better in summer.

• 2 weeks later...

If it keeps doing unsightly things with not running properly, or if everything just stops, check the safety relay on these. They are an utter nightmare when the electrics start to go. My old one was a gnat's cock away from having it's loom replaced when the engine let go. hateful thing....(but i do have the odd fond memory of it!!)

I reckon this might be the prob with my TRX. They're situated right under the front of the tank, and the bike seems to run rougher once it's warmed up. They are the originals - 12 yo.

Used to run Bosch on the Guzzi a few years ago.

Reckon my carbs are well past it too, seriously want to get a set of FCRs for it to improve the fuelling.

Had FCRs on the Guzzi as well, so I have an idea how they run.

Bob

+ it's been very cold and wet here over the winter. Bike always seems to run waaaaaaay better in summer.

Have you checked the gasket on your petcock? If it have gone you won't be getting a consistent flow of petrol and it will be giving you fuelling problems. Happened with our TRX.

I wouldn't use a stock coil to prop up a dead badgers head (as a means of scaring it's living brethren away of course)

I've always used Dynas, on the FZ they fit just fine as the OEM units are big and fat. I've used Dyna minis on the TLS and they haven't fared well, dropping out in the wet, although it could conceivably be the HT leads at fault.

It may be fanciful thinking, but my Exup, FZ and Bandit 12 always seemed to run loads better with Dynas.

On the other hand, Dynas are buggery expensive for some wire wrapped round a bit of iron, so if you can find units of the correct impedance from a car, that fit in there OK, I can't see how they'd be any worse. You would probably have to weather-proof them somehow though.

• 2 weeks later...
I wouldn't use a stock coil to prop up a dead badgers head (as a means of scaring it's living brethren away of course)

I've always used Dynas, on the FZ they fit just fine as the OEM units are big and fat. I've used Dyna minis on the TLS and they haven't fared well, dropping out in the wet, although it could conceivably be the HT leads at fault.

It may be fanciful thinking, but my Exup, FZ and Bandit 12 always seemed to run loads better with Dynas.

On the other hand, Dynas are buggery expensive for some wire wrapped round a bit of iron, so if you can find units of the correct impedance from a car, that fit in there OK, I can't see how they'd be any worse. You would probably have to weather-proof them somehow though.

Thanks lots to check and think about maybe fit exup coils as there seem to be more about? :)

Archived