Doing wheel swaps

lorenzo

OK, I've a new back wheel for the Katana, off a GSXF, so i can get chunkier more modern rubber on there. I had a little go at seeing if it'll fit up OK and I came across a couple of problems.

1: The spindle of the Kat is thicker than the spindle off the gsxf by a couple of mm. Should I go with the kat spindle and just get new bearings for the wheel (which I can get in the right sizes easily enough, prob about a tenner for the pair), or do I fit a gsxf spindle to the Kat and then put a spacer around the spindle where it sits in the swingarm? I'm gussing the former'll be easiler as I know that the kat spindle is the right length for the swingarm width etc, but also means getting a new bearing for the sprocket side of things, which looks to be a bit trickier.

2: This is the bit that makes my head hurt. What do I do about centering the wheel? I'm assuming that the chances of getting the wheel exactly centered on the bike and then having the sprockets line up is going to be slim, to say the least. I'm going to need a new front sprocket on there as I'd like to be using the rear sprocket off the GSXF (530) and ditch the katana sprocket etc (630) as it's much easier to get a range of sizes in 530. I'm sure a modern 530 chain will be more than up to the job of pulling a kat, won't it? I know I can get an off-set front sprocket (25mm I think), which might align things a bit better, plus I can possibly bring the cush drive out from the wheel a little bit, maybe 2mm, using a bigger spacer in there (is this sensible/safe, it was just an idea I had), but what happens if it still won't sit the wheel centrally? Is having a wheel that's 10mm or something off centre spell disaster? I'd guess it'd lead to somewhat interesting handling, yes?

So come on gurus, furnish me with your knowledge, what should I do?

All of this is assuming I don't actually sell the bike, which I'm stll trying to do, but I was off today and it was raining, what else was I going to do apart from muck about in the garage?

Use the Kat spindle. Even the sprocket bearing shouldnt be too much of a prob.

Centre the wheel in the bike and then buy Trigger a lot of his his favorite tipple to make you some nice new spacers.

So how do I line up the front sprocket? I guess there should be enough slop on the output shaft to let it find its own position then, yes?

buy Trigger a lot of his his favorite tipple to make you some nice new spacers.

Should I really push the boat out and get him 98 RON super?

So how do I line up the front sprocket? I guess there should be enough slop on the output shaft to let it find its own position then, yes?

Eeeek!!!! :icon_bounce: No. You'll probably need an offset sprocket. B&C are very good at sorting them out.

Should I really push the boat out and get him 98 RON super?

Reckon if he sorts out the lining up and making of spacers you should get him a litre or so of Avgas.

Avgas'll just give him the wind, I'm sure. Anyway, I'll get my bearings ordered and go from there. It'll fit like a glove, I'm sure. Or at least a mitten.

I reckon you might want to go the other way, if you fit the bigger internal bearings and use the smaller spindle. Then your wheel spacers can be made captive with an interference fit the depth of the bearing. You'll need a new spacer (accurate length) down the midle if the wheel, a loose fit to the spindle and at least the external diameter of the inner race. Bit of messing about this but you'll be on your way to a QD rear and that's cool.

Hmm, too late, bigger bearings ordered. I don't have the slimmer spindle either, but you're right, it's a cool way of doing it.

I reckon you might want to go the other way, if you fit the bigger internal bearings and use the smaller spindle. Then your wheel spacers can be made captive with an interference fit the depth of the bearing. You'll need a new spacer (accurate length) down the midle if the wheel, a loose fit to the spindle and at least the external diameter of the inner race. Bit of messing about this but you'll be on your way to a QD rear and that's cool.

I did exactly this on my 16.5" galespeed wheel for the 7/12 Gixxer. Slingshot GSXRs are a 20mm front spindle, the Galespeed came set for something like 25mm. A few spacers made up to go inside the old bearings and bear on the inside race and voila, captive (with a bit grease to make sure) spacers.

Awesome. Rich

Avgas'll just give him the wind, I'm sure. Anyway, I'll get my bearings ordered and go from there. It'll fit like a glove, I'm sure. Or at least a mitten.

Billy McKinstrey sell ELF race fuel, burns without a flame, get Trig some of that and he'll be breathing (invisible) fire for a week. :eusa_whistle:

Archived