Superduke 990 idle speed

dhtmbowen

Does anyone know how to change the tick over?

I've got a workshop manual on CD and even that doesn't tell me!

or I'm a complete dufus and need to rtfm.

I want to increase it to improve corner entry and smooth the transition from closed to opened throttle.

The problem is mostly KTM's crap attempt at fuel injection combined with a light flywheel. I am not sure raising the idle speed will help you it will just add to the problem everytime you get a big splurt of power. If you are getting stalling on a closed throttle you might try starting the bike and letting it idle for 15 minutes without touching the throttle, this resets the ECU. Maybe ask at a KTM dealer to ensure yours is running the latest map also.

Otherwise a lot of SD and RC8 owners change the throttle cam for a cheap and easy improvement. Also if yours is quite a low mileage bike I found my 05 SD got better as the mileage increased.

I know what you are going through. I am putting a power commander on my 07 SDR in an attempt to improve things.

I want to increase it to improve corner entry and smooth the transition from closed to opened throttle.

if you want smooth probably better buy something else. Everyone has different views with how to get a superduke to run smooth and you will find pages and pages of people who have spent decent money and been disappointed. Best give up and sell it or just ride it like you stole it and its fine.

Fast Freddy: you're right! The only way to ride the Superduke is 'like you stole it'.

In all fairness the idle speed is just something I'd like to be able to tinker with to see if I can improve turn - in to apex speed and the transition from closed to open throttle.

Having said that my biggest headache right now is mid - corner ground clearance.

Archived