CBR900 electircal fault

motopsycho

Hiya,

For those of you who may already know me from this site, I've got this wicked 96, Fireblade (RRT) in Konica Minolta race paint. The problem is, I've just sold it on the agreement that I get the bike through an MOT.

Clearly, the new owner was very excited yesterday when he arrived to take collection of hs new toy. The problem was that, having rode the bike to and from the MOT station, it kept cutting out. This only seemed to happen when it was in 1st gear while revving to pull away.

From the time it took me to ride to the MOT centre and back, this intermittent 'cutting out' lark had fast grown into a real problem - it was doing it whenever I stopped; once, twice, sometimes three times back to back!

I've never had any real problems with this bike, but it has been sittig outside in the back garden, and open to the eleiments for the 1st time since ownership due to my having bought the new Gixer750, for about 3 weeks.

Obviously, I rang the chap and explained to him fully the problem I had found with the blade, yet he was happy to ride the bike away and go sarching for the problem once he got it back to his place. But, neither of us expected the problem to have manefested itself in such a way that it would die out the front of my house and retain no electrical output whatsoever upon turning the ignition key. Then after checking the earth lead to ensure the connection was good, it worked and fired up like normal, then nothing again...

After some hours spent in vain trying to find and solve the problem, we were unable to get the bike started again.

Although I had placed the cheapest battery in the bike last year and it has sat around for a few weeks in the wet etc, but if the battery was naff, surely there would have been some type of power fade before dying out completely, which in his case, there wasn't.

In fact during our faultfinding in the rain, the leads were sparking, which would suggest again that the battery has got sufficiant charge - but then again, I honestly am clutcing at straws here becaus I have no real understanding of these matters, especially when it come to electrics.

I would really appreciate some good advice on this one, as I am left with the possiblilty of having to hire a van and hand the entire bike over to the local Honda dealership to fix - and of course, this will cost big time...

In short, please help.

Cheers.

Dodgy sidestand cut out?

What happened to make the leads spark? This dosen't sound good.

I disconnected the sidestand lead but this did nothing, so I think that's nothing to do with it. As for the spark, this was weird. I had cut the plastic away from the burnt-out, carroded ignition relay and it sparked even though the key was turned off..?

I removed the crimp connections for the burnt-out ignition relay and replaced them, then replaced all four of them using electrical tape whee needed to secure the wires etc. But this did nothing to reslve the problem so, although this box seemed beyond it's time, I do not think it is the major fault here..?

Any ideas, I'm thinking of buying a whole new, second hand wiring loom of ebay and replacing the old one in a bid to lower the cost of getting it fixed at the dealership...

There's loads of things that it could be, but I'd go through every single switch on there, and the connections that hold the switch gear onto the main loom and give the bike a spray. I didn't realise that the loom bit off the left hand set of bars would stop my bike running until the other day when I left it undone after fiddling and the n it wouldn't start. What I'm trying to say is that there's probably just a bit of moisture in somewhere, but finding it is going to be tricky, do the lot.

There's loads of things that it could be, but I'd go through every single switch on there, and the connections that hold the switch gear onto the main loom and give the bike a spray. I didn't realise that the loom bit off the left hand set of bars would stop my bike running until the other day when I left it undone after fiddling and the n it wouldn't start. What I'm trying to say is that there's probably just a bit of moisture in somewhere, but finding it is going to be tricky, do the lot.

Yeah, fair enough, I guess I was just hoping to have someone point me in the right direction here and save me some time etc...

Cheers for the help

Archived