restriction

Devon

what methods are there out there for restricting motorbikes, i am looking at the zx6r on the 0% finance thing and i was wondering whether you could use a power commander with two different maps on it, one at full power and one that restricts it to 33bhp, is this even possible?

Probably not, the power commanders have limits to what can be changed.

There is a company offering restriction kits (not sure of the name). People generally fit them, then...it maybe kinda falls off.

I would imagine it simply restricts throttle movement.

They are usually either restrictor washers in the exhaust (cruiser twins generally) or in the carb rubbers (sometimes acompanied y a throttle stop on the carbs mechanism). They are an absolute ripoff from FI, and the certificate means little or nothing. I emailed the Warwickshire Police about the specific laws, and essentially they said that as long as it was restricted, it didn't need to be fitted by a pro as FI suggest. I bought a second hand set for t'other half's CBR400, lobbed them in myself and got it dyno tested for her reassurance (and to have the dyno graph to stick under the seat). Total cost of about £50. As opposed to the £230+ fitted for the FI ones.

Hit ebay or ask around and fit them yourself.

The problem would be that if he's after a zx6r on 0% finance it's going to be a new one and hence won't have carbs no there.

Of course, a bike that's designed to run at 110bhp is going to feel like shit at 33bhp, plus if it's your first 'proper' bike then there's a pretty good chance you're going to drop it, meaning you're paying finance on a bike that's potentially a bit battered. If I was in your shoes, I'd be looking at something that's not going to feel quite as castrated and doesn't cost an arm and a leg when it goes down the road. Late 90's CBR 600 would do the job beautifully, plus I bet there's loads of 2nd hand restriction kits out there too.

A quick look on ebay reveals that there's a kit on there at the moment for a C model ZX6R, and it's exactly the same as the carb versions in that it's just 4 big washer things that sit in the inlet manifold.

The two restriction will work the same on carbs or throttle bodies.

Should be easy enough to dyno bikes are restrict the throttle movement so it stops at 33bhp...

Just be careful though. There was a thread a few months ago about some forces having mobile dynos to check, although it seemed these were being used on mopeds and the 30mph limit.

The problem would be that if he's after a zx6r on 0% finance it's going to be a new one and hence won't have carbs no there.

Of course, a bike that's designed to run at 110bhp is going to feel like shit at 33bhp, plus if it's your first 'proper' bike then there's a pretty good chance you're going to drop it, meaning you're paying finance on a bike that's potentially a bit battered. If I was in your shoes, I'd be looking at something that's not going to feel quite as castrated and doesn't cost an arm and a leg when it goes down the road. Late 90's CBR 600 would do the job beautifully, plus I bet there's loads of 2nd hand restriction kits out there too.

A quick look on ebay reveals that there's a kit on there at the moment for a C model ZX6R, and it's exactly the same as the carb versions in that it's just 4 big washer things that sit in the inlet manifold.

maybe i should just get a older zx6r like you recommend . thanks for the help

• 8 months later...

I took mine years ago to BDK out in the flatlands of Norfolk somewhere, proper engineers there! They restricted it by popping a pin through the throttle/switchgear housing @ the bars which restricted the throttle movement. Long story short, cost about £70 with a power graph, was never pulled up on it in two years, and was stopped many, many times! Good job n' all because that pin fell out a few weeks after having it fitted.

Clive @ BDK (01508 481713) - Old school thinkin' there, I swear by 'em!

This has been covered in the legal section.

Basically you want to do it properly... 9 points on your license for starters if you don't!

FI are the peeps that distribute the kits but prepare to be raped. They cost about £150 for just a few metal washers and a piece of paper. Plus fitting by an authorised garage.

Buy a bike that puts out less than 33bhp.

The two restriction will work the same on carbs or throttle bodies.

They won't though will they.

A carburettor puts in fuel dependent on how much air is passing through it, so putting a washer in should be exactly the same as not opening the throttle all the way.

An FI throttle body puts in fuel dependent on how much air *it thinks* is passing through it, based on engine speed, throttle position, and maybe ambient temperature. So it will still chuck 100bhp worth of fuel in despite the washers only allowing 33bhp worth of air through.

Which is not going to work well.

Which is not going to work well.

chimney-cleaning-dirty-face.jpg

It's running a little bit rich...

Buy a 400 or a 250 two stroke instead for £(nowhere near as much as new 600 will cost) :thumbsup:

edited for sound advice.

I would check if Kawasaki do an official restrictor-i've fitted a few to er-6's and from kawasaki it costs under £10 i think--F.I. thoroughly rape you for the same result!Oh and it was just a bolt with a spacing collar to restrict the throttle pulley

Edit:and a wee little electrical connector in the diagnostic plug that just joins two wires

I fitted a throttle restrictor to a k1 600 and

had about 1/4 throttle was bloody dangerous.

Save your money, buy a cheapy until you can go

full power, then splash out on what you want.

As Lorenzo said get a cheap bike, cos you'll get cheaper insurance. Then when you've got a couple of years under your belt and hopefully a 2 year NCD, then get your posh bike.

http://pbmagforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6209&st=140

Try this if youre unsure about what is and isn't legal you'll still be wondering 8 pages later despite the best efforts of a very nice ( well for a copper) :eusa_whistle: guy to get definitive answers. Its a shite law and if it was introduced and equally poorly enforced/policed for cars there'd be outrage but its alright cause we are bikers and as such we're just criminals anyway....

Archived