Bleeding fingers

SamB

Did them on my VFR 750 over the winter. Much easier with a work bench and a helpful knowledgable father, otherwise I'd still be there now! Changing the rear shock on the 750 was much more of a ballache than it was on my brother in law's 800, if that's any comfort?

I think it might be a two man job after all. I couldn't get is all lined up and tightened up so its back in the garage while I have a sulk.

What downpipes have you got? Are they the cheapo stainless ones off ebay? If so, they're tricky to fit, yes. What I used was lots of little chunks of wood to keep all the spacing of the pipes sorted all the way round. I've also heard that some people put 2 exhaust gaskets between the exhaust and the head itself, it helps with the spacing slightly.

1/4" extentions on the sockets are useful too, although to do the rear left cylinder I found it was actually easier to do that from the left of the bike, rather than trying from the direction of the stud itself. I think I used a ratchet spanner for that bit. It's not a nice job, lots of fiddling about, but it's not the worst job in the world, it's just fiddly.

Where are you Sam, maybe somebody local can come and give you a hand?

Thanks Lorenzo,

Yes, they are the cheapo ones of ebay :thumbsup:

Its actually the join between the 2 rear cylinder pipes and the front headers/collector that's giving me a problem. I might try to make the missus help hold it all in place - its her bike! But if anyone lives near harpenden I'd be happy for some help. All the tea/beer you can drink if offered in return!

What's the deal Sam, are they just not lining up or are they trying to rub against things? I had some trouble with these bits hitting either the swingarm or the back of the brake master cylinder. I undid all the fastenings on the exhaust so they were only half done up, got them where I wanted with my chunks of wood, then tightened them bit by bit, working my way around as I did them all up. Horrible job. I then had to dink the wood out with a screwdriver, which was a bit brutal at times too. Proper pain in the arse job.

Thanks Lorenzo,

Yes, they are the cheapo ones of ebay :D

Its actually the join between the 2 rear cylinder pipes and the front headers/collector that's giving me a problem. I might try to make the missus help hold it all in place - its her bike! But if anyone lives near harpenden I'd be happy for some help. All the tea/beer you can drink if offered in return!

I'm in St Albans, happy to help. Might be free this Saturday evening, or maybe daytime Sunday, that any good to ya?

It is only fair to warn you though I can drink a lot of tea.

I'm in St Albans, happy to help. Might be free this Saturday evening, or maybe daytime Sunday, that any good to ya?

It is only fair to warn you though I can drink a lot of tea.

Bumpety bump

can you let me know if you need my help this weekend? Thanks

Bumpety bump

can you let me know if you need my help this weekend? Thanks

Sorry - I didn't mean to disappear after asking for help - I managed to break my computer as well - I had to buy a new network card before I could see any posts.

Archived