NC30 Regulator/Rectifier

The_Doctor

Hi all,

I know there are a few V4 riders on here so im after a bit of advice, im pretty certain my reg/rec is buggered, the battery (less than 2 years old) didn't hold its charge and would only start the bike once when fully charged, I then replaced the battery 3 weeks ago and had no problems for the last 3 weeks but I hadn't had my lights on.....untill yesterday.

I had my lights on for prob 10 miles then the bike went down to 2 cylinders then died completely on the dual carragway. the bike was still in gear as I rolled to a stop but wasn't even trying to fire, I clicked my lights off as I was still rolling and it started, first running rough not on all cylinders then back on all four. Got the bike home without lights and all seemed fine, once stopped I turned the lights on to see what would happen and it cut out instantly like kill switch and wouldn't turn the starter over!

I imagine it is the reg/rec that is fried, is there any way to test it and also I know this is a common prob for the NC so is there any alternatives which I could buy to replace the obviously flawed honda part?

Ta

Thank you good sir,

the troubleshooting link will be very handy, however you mention the rr58 from an early blade but this is the same one listed for the NC, was you saying this would be a better replacement or just pointing out the product code of the one i need, sorry im easily confused! :eusa_whistle:

Fried reg/recs are fairly common on Hondas of that vintage. A common mod is to replace them with Yamaha items (the Yam units have cooling fins which dissapte the heat that cooks the Honda ones).

Details of the mod are here

Or you could get one of a later model Honda....from about 2002 onwards they started to make them with cooling fins IIRC.

HTH

If I got one from a later model Honda would that do away with messing about with the connectors? which later Hondas would work?

Thanks

sorry - it happens to be the same as an early blade, i guess you could get a 2nd hand one of those off the bay, but from the looks of it they'll all be toast too.

i rang 'em up to ask a dumb question, cos i've got a rr58 (just asked for a universal lightweight race one) for the 'mono, and he said - thats an early blade one

the rr58 has dirty great cooling fins on it, and i think it plugs straight in the vfr/blade

I had to use my NC30 one on the blade when that went, just replaced the blade one with one from an R1. So that swap will work.

Straight forward although bigger so mounting needs to be moved.

Honda never really got that right until recently.

I find it amazing that it took honda the best part of a decade to work out that their bikes kept conking out. I think it's more than reasonable to assume that Honda were simply enjoying selling reg/recs too much. I replaced the one on my VFR with a copy (made by 'sun') which had dirty great fins on it. I moved mine too, so it was in a bit more of a breezy spot. I've known people to put little 12v fans off PC's on the back of them too, just so they get some movement in the air around them.

I've known people to put little 12v fans off PC's on the back of them too, just so they get some movement in the air around them.

The fitment of a PC-style cooling fan is one of the first mods that anyone with an early VFR800 needs to be doing (imho).

The lil' vent on the right hand side (on the tail unit) faces the wrong way, so there's very little airflow into the reg/rec unit.

Having popped two units, I eventually stumbled across that little gem on the VFR owners group. :owned:

Archived