Using the frame as oil tank, and powdercoating questions.

tootall

Well, is it? Would like to run the oil in the frame of the triton, and do away with the oil tank. How do-able is this?

Also does a clear powdercoat finish exist? Kinda like a laquer. Wondering about either blasting/scotchbriting, or polishing the frame and then laquer or powder coat on top. (steel frame)

*snip*

Also does a clear powdercoat finish exist? Kinda like a laquer. Wondering about either blasting/scotchbriting, or polishing the frame and then laquer or powder coat on top. (steel frame)

Hows about nickel plating??? Better than chrome IMO, considering the age of the bike an' all that.

Well, is it? Would like to run the oil in the frame of the triton, and do away with the oil tank. How do-able is this?

My KTM has this, as well as many other off-road stylee bikes. Very do-able but dont ask me how.

Andy

some monos have done oil in frame, and they usually seem to end up splitting, and leaking oil everywhere. i wouldnt try, personally.

Don't know about the oil in the frame question, but there is a company (In norfolk somewhere I think) who have perfected a chrome effect powder coat. It is quite expensive though. Can't think of the name of the company off hand, but it was in the PB mag a couple of years ago on the products page. maybe a PM to wavy davy or Monkey might help.

Don't know about the oil in the frame question, but there is a company (In norfolk somewhere I think) who have perfected a chrome effect powder coat. It is quite expensive though. Can't think of the name of the company off hand, but it was in the PB mag a couple of years ago on the products page. maybe a PM to wavy davy or Monkey might help.

Thanks but no thanks if you see what I mean? Chrome is most definately not my thing. If I can get a clear coat to show bare steel underneath that'd be perfect.

Thanks but no thanks if you see what I mean? Chrome is most definately not my thing. If I can get a clear coat to show bare steel underneath that'd be perfect.

I dont think its a powdercoat but the mild steel 2T pipes come with a rust proof coating so i'm pretty sure there is a product that'd do it. Perhaps hammerite do a direct to metal clear?

The oil in frame in mx bikes is usually a piece of box section somewhere on the bike frame, sealed at either end, a drain plug, a gravity feed to sump and a feed from top of engine to top of the this 'oil tank'. It works, problems are sealing it whilst blasting and ensuring that it is completely clean before any oil goes in it. Hammerite do a rust dip that actually works. Cheap too.

I'm not usually a fan of Hammerite, there stuff is more gate at the end of the garden than motorbike frame but i'm quite liking some of there stuff at the mo.

Clear powder coat is not a problem at all, keeping the frame clean and mositure free will be the biggest problem, wear latex gloves when your cleaning it then get it straight to the coaters and make sure they do it asap and that anyone who touches it is wearing clean gloves. Any mositure (or natural oils/sweat from your hands) on the frame will cause it to corroded or just show up the finger marks. Although powder coat is tough it can suffer from adhesion problems when applied over highly polished surfaces.

Archived