Fitting a quickshifter

MonkeyJim

in PB issue Jan '09 [i think] there was an article about fitting a quickshifter to the mag's CBR600. It made for interesting reading, and so in the never-ending quest for R1 nirvana I started doing some research.

I discovered that Techtronics do a bespoke quickshifter kit for the early model [98-01] R1's which comes with a 'plug & play' loom; this appealed to me greatly as no buggering about with cutting and splicing wires would be required.

http://www.techtronicsracing.com/

http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Techtronic...ckshifters.html

interestingly [or not] I discovered that the R1, and indeed other YZF 'R-series' bikes such as the R6 and R7, are unusual in requiring a gear shift rod which works in tension, rather than compression which seems to be the norm.

As luck would have it, when said quickshifter came up on egay I snapped it up for a bargain price. This is how it came, attached to some Harris rearsets using a reverse gear shift pattern. I already had the same rearsets on mine, but in normal [ie 'road'] shift pattern.

QS1.jpg

it didn't come with any instructions but an email to Giles at HPS yielded results; HPS are the UK dealer for Techtronics. Just a few days later and I had an email from Pete at Techtronics who I think is the main man there, well it was very detailed and helpful. Thanks again, guys!

well that was all a few months ago now, but better late than never I guess... on saturday I had a couple of hours spare so thought I'd have a have a pop at fitting the quickshifter. I was keen to get it on in time for the couple of trackdays I've got coming up - Donington in a couple of weeks and then PB's Cadwell day in August.

so, to start with I got the bike up on stands, in the glorious sunshine for a change instead of the usual gloom of the garage, which is nice

IMG_0654.jpg

I stipped off the rider & pillion seat cowl, followed by the tail fairing, as I needed access to the battery and the rear of the bike for housing the control unit. The single seat unit would be going back on afterwards, once the quickshifter was installed and set up... more on that later.

Petrol tank next, note the hi-tech tank support* to allow access to disconnect the fuel line, breather and fuel level sender.

IMG_0655.jpg

*Yamaha part no. YA-4XV-123456

Tank about to come off, which is a quick job thanks to a dry-break fuel coupling [on left of pic] - definitely had my money's worth out of that over the years! IMG_0656.jpg

in case anyone is interested, the red/blue component cable-tied to the fuel filter is the exup servo motor eliminator, fitted to complement the akra full exhaust system

airbox now also removed, to allow access to the coils, which are located under the flap between the carb intakes and the headstock

IMG_0658.jpg

The Techtronics QS2 comes with a bespoke loom to fit this model. So now it was just a case of locating the control box under the pillion seat, then threading the loom past the battery and then up the left hand side of the bike, following the main loom, up past the carbs and to the coils. Connect the QS loom to the coils and that's it.

IMG_0663.jpg

next, the fiddly bit. Remove the standard gear change rod [forgot to get a pic of this, hence the old one]

RearsetRHScrop.jpg

and replace with the quickshifter rod, and connect to the quickshifter loom

IMG_0662.jpg

and hey presto, it's done. Fired up the engine just to make sure it ran alright [just in case I'd buggered up the connections to the coils or something] and to make sure the shifter was working; the control box beeps when it senses sufficient pressure on the rod.

A road test was then needed as there are a couple of parameters to be dialled in; the sensitivity of the shift rod can be varied, as can the amount of 'kill time' ie for how long it cuts the ignition.

So I put the bike back together, all in all 2 hours from start to finish, and was getting ready for a test ride when the heavens opened. And a proper biblical thunderstorm it was too. Hmmm... the omens weren't good, so I decided not to push my luck and called it a day.

was out all day yesterday with Mrs Monkey so haven't had a chance to test it yet... looking forward to trying it out, will let you know how I get on...

Pretty excellent buy eh! be interesting to see if you change down a gear instead of up the first time your testing it out :thumbsup: lol

well it was such good value it was rude not to buy it, really!

but I was worried about the gearchange so I've kept it as a standard '1-down, 5-up' pattern... for the time being at least.

thought I'd try to get used to the quickshifter on its own first, without having the additional factor of having to remember which way to change gear!!

lmao yeh!

tbh when im riding my foot is in a more comfy position under the gear lever, it really wouldnt make sense to me to reverse the gears :dribble: .

suppose though they adjust the levers hight though so they can shift up by kicking down :eusa_dance:

Nice read. Just about to get myself a quickshifter for my 05 ZX636 (It needs an ignition module too but luckily have sourced a guy selling both the dynojet quickshifter and the ignition module together).

Looking forward to putting it to use!! I was Inspired by the PB review a few months ago.

was out all day yesterday with Mrs Monkey so haven't had a chance to test it yet... looking forward to trying it out, will let you know how I get on...

came in to work today on the bike, well it would be rude not to, first test of the quickshifter.

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahah :( bloody hell that was fun.

rush-hour traffic and general car driver mong-ness is not totally condusive to full-throttle wide open gear changes, but I did my best lads.

it took a bit of time to recalibrate my hand and brain not to dip the throttle on changing gear. In fact I'm still quite a way off getting that right; after years of riding in a particular way it feels very odd just keeping it held wide open as you change gear.

but by the sweet baby Jebus it's brilliant. Seamless full throttle changes are a thing of deep joy, and the exhaust gives a lovely pop & as it changes up.

still needs a bit of fine-tuning, I think either the rod is too sensitive, or the kill-time isn't quite right, as I had a few missed gears. So I will have a fiddle and see how it goes, but initial results are very positive :icon_blackeye:

still needs a bit of fine-tuning, I think either the rod is too sensitive, or the kill-time isn't quite right, as I had a few missed gears. So I will have a fiddle and see how it goes, but initial results are very positive :icon_blackeye:

have done some fiddling and already improved things quite significantly. The shift rod was too sensitive and has now been de-tuned a bit to account for my insensitive foot.

also the kill time was set very low - almost at the minimum - so I've re-set that to the default position and will fine-tune it from there.

Also I think it's just a case of getting a bit more used to holding the throttle wide open during gear changes. It still feels a bit weird, though

Cool to hear!!, will be awesome blasting round a track then! :pb2:

Hope so... first track test will be this Saturday at Donny.

Looking forward to trying it out, though the forecast isn't looking too clever

Monkey! I :wub: you're R1. It rocks. Nice looking bike, all the mods are worthwhile and you haven't just thrown a cheque book at a nearly new bike. Very :pb2: , and IMHO worthy of an obsession write up someday. Lookin forward to seeing it (and of course your good self) at Cadwell :icon_salut:

Monkey! I :wub: you're R1. It rocks. Nice looking bike, all the mods are worthwhile and you haven't just thrown a cheque book at a nearly new bike. Very :dribble: , and IMHO worthy of an obsession write up someday. Lookin forward to seeing it (and of course your good self) at Cadwell :D

thanks gorgeous

I'm flattered, and at the same time, slightly aroused :tacheemoticonwh7:

likewise, looking forward to seeing you at Cadwell, Sir :dribble:

PS also going to be testing out this tomorrow

IMG_0149.jpg

finally managed to get the front dymag wheel fitted last weekend, and bunged in a new set of Performance Friction 95 pads for the PFM iron discs.

only managed a quick spin on the road so far to bed the pads in... in the words of the late great MJ 'sha-mone motherfucker eeee-heeee' bloody hell there is some serious braking going on with those babies.

full test tomorrow, I will have to be careful not to go over the handlebars or do a massive stoppie/massive darkie in my pants at the end of Starkeys Straight

oh lordy!

Tank about to come off, which is a quick job thanks to a dry-break fuel coupling [on left of pic] - definitely had my money's worth out of that over the years! IMG_0656.jpg

in case anyone is interested, the red/blue component cable-tied to the fuel filter is the exup servo motor eliminator, fitted to complement the akra full exhaust system

Where would one find such a red/blue component, should one need one in the future :eusa_think:

Where would one find such a red/blue component, should one need one in the future :eusa_think:

Well Peter I hope you understand that said component is marked 'for race use only' - though I'm not really sure why - so I hope you will use it responsibly.

I got mine from here http://www.sgmotorsport.com/index.html who are the UK dealer for http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com

IIRC SG Motorsport's was pretty wank before so I ordered one over the phone, no problems, and it arrived next day. Nice. From memory it was about £50, you just need to make sure you get the right model as I think the 98/99 and 00/01 models are the same, the 02/03 onwards need a different eliminator.

but it's totally plug & play and I've had absolutely no problems with mine since fitting it, zero error codes. From memory, it's about 300 grams lighter than the exup servo. Which of course leaves room for another bowl of soup...

Well Peter I hope you understand that said component is marked 'for race use only' - though I'm not really sure why - so I hope you will use it responsibly.

I got mine from here http://www.sgmotorsport.com/index.html who are the UK dealer for http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com

IIRC SG Motorsport's was pretty wank before so I ordered one over the phone, no problems, and it arrived next day. Nice. From memory it was about £50, you just need to make sure you get the right model as I think the 98/99 and 00/01 models are the same, the 02/03 onwards need a different eliminator.

but it's totally plug & play and I've had absolutely no problems with mine since fitting it, zero error codes. From memory, it's about 300 grams lighter than the exup servo. Which of course leaves room for another bowl of soup...

I have a nice set of needles in my newly refreshed carbs, which I have convinced myself have given me sharper throttle response whilst it sits on the drive, from them and the service was pretty good. I will ask for one of these trinkets, though I fear a man who has a set of gregtrx cast off leathers may not notice the 300 grams saving :lol:

Thanks for the info, I have an eye on a set of micron serpent thingies as we speak...

I have a nice set of needles in my newly refreshed carbs, which I have convinced myself have given me sharper throttle response whilst it sits on the drive, from them and the service was pretty good. I will ask for one of these trinkets, though I fear a man who has a set of gregtrx cast off leathers may not notice the 300 grams saving :D

Thanks for the info, I have an eye on a set of micron serpent thingies as we speak...

It's not just about the 300 grams saving of course, you get the added bonus of sompletely removing the chance of error codes due to the exup servo motor sticking. And it says 'for race use only' which is instantly worth another 10-15bhp at least.

if the micron serpent system falls through, or if you are interested anyway, I have a complete Akrapovic full 4-1 stainless system for sale for the 4xv model R1. All there, pipework, header collars, springs.

Not mint, the link pipe has a dent and the end can has a [very small] dent, but otherwise in good condition & perfectly useable.

Have been meaning to get it on egay but haven't got around to it yet. let me know if you want further details.

• johnnymack63 unpinned this topic

Archived