Kawasaki Red Key

zxrob

Hi all.

I am looking at buying a 2006 Z1000, however, the owner, although looks genuine, has only got one ignition key, no spare and no red key. What are the possible issues with having no red key, do you need it to code any new keys or can you get around it.

Cheers Rob

From what I am led to believe you will need it to code any new keys to the KISS system on Kawasakis - that's what the dealer told me when I picked up my bike new, under strict orders NOT to lose the red key, warnings of replacement ECU/lockset etc. But that was back in 2006 and things may have changed since then and a dealer may be able to get one for you...... don't quote me on that though.

I'm not sure if KISS was used in all markets so if the bike is an import it may not have it and you may not need the red key, you can tell if the bike has KISS fitted if the ignition looks like this:-

image.jpeg.d5a15b0e0ed87f9298a9384c41e6e269.jpeg

But there may be a way round it......

https://www.carmoelectronics.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=493_1351_1355_1360&zenid=93mh1kuht6k2hvt7s0nm8apn80

Never used them so not sure what they are like to deal with.

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

From what I am led to believe you will need it to code any new keys to the KISS system on Kawasakis - that's what the dealer told me when I picked up my bike new, under strict orders NOT to lose the red key, warnings of replacement ECU/lockset etc. But that was back in 2006 and things may have changed since then and a dealer may be able to get one for you...... don't quote me on that though.

I'm not sure if KISS was used in all markets so if the bike is an import it may not have it and you may not need the red key, you can tell if the bike has KISS fitted if the ignition looks like this:-

https://www.carmoelectronics.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=493_1351_1355_1360&zenid=93mh1kuht6k2hvt7s0nm8apn80

@jaycee will know 

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I have a 2005 zx6r that has KISS, I have the red key for that, I was wandering, with todays technology if a new key could be cloned of an existing key and/or the bikes ECU, I have looked around and found somewhere that can do it without the red key.

Cheers Rob

1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

@jaycee will know 

I do not actually, but I suspect that red key is rather important.

I know some folk that will know, however.

1 hour ago, zxrob said:

Hi all.

I am looking at buying a 2006 Z1000, however, the owner, although looks genuine, has only got one ignition key, no spare and no red key. What are the possible issues with having no red key, do you need it to code any new keys or can you get around it.

Cheers Rob

I've just asked a Kawasaki tech. The red is is crucial for coding a replacement key. Otherwise it's new ECU and new keys time.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jaycee said:

I've just asked a Kawasaki tech. The red is is crucial for coding a replacement key. Otherwise it's new ECU and new keys time.

I spoke to a Kawasaki tech this morning and he didnt know😐

I spoke to a company just, they can code a new key off an existing working one, and code a new red key off the ECU.

Cheers Rob

Edited by zxrob
  • Like 3