custom headlight wiring question

riversbikes

Scan_20240423a.jpg.a2092c0a2cca1cf87c3df1ef9234f923.jpgHey all -- wiring question.  I have a typical three-wire headlight harness on my ducati -- ground, high and low beam.  I want to replace the headlight with a 90mm hella light (for a neat endurance look), which has a high and low beam via a shutter, vs. separate bulbs or dual filament bulbs.  So each function only has 2 wires -- a ground and a positive feed.  Will the attached schematic work in theory?  Split the ground wire to both the bulb (upper) and the shutter pigtail, with the low beam positive going to the shutter (to switch it as necessary), and the high beam positive going to the bulb?  The xenon bulbs/headlights like this require ballasts, but not the halogen one.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 3:07 AM, riversbikes said:

Scan_20240423a.jpg.a2092c0a2cca1cf87c3df1ef9234f923.jpgHey all -- wiring question.  I have a typical three-wire headlight harness on my ducati -- ground, high and low beam.  I want to replace the headlight with a 90mm hella light (for a neat endurance look), which has a high and low beam via a shutter, vs. separate bulbs or dual filament bulbs.  So each function only has 2 wires -- a ground and a positive feed.  Will the attached schematic work in theory?  Split the ground wire to both the bulb (upper) and the shutter pigtail, with the low beam positive going to the shutter (to switch it as necessary), and the high beam positive going to the bulb?  The xenon bulbs/headlights like this require ballasts, but not the halogen one.

I'm no sparky by any means.. but that makes sense. Should be easy to bench test?

50 minutes ago, TLRS said:

I'm no sparky by any means.. but that makes sense. Should be easy to bench test?

Yup, as soon as it shows up in the mail I'll see if I can get it to work.  I might wire the low positive feed to the bulb, and have the high beam work the shutter.  Might need a diode in line as well -- I could see the shutter activation (high beam), turn the low beam (bulb) off...