Downshifting PITA BMW F800GS

Jaybewan

No not a pitta, though now I do fancy one.

Noticed the BMW has been getting progressively more annoying on downshifts lately. To the point where I recently had to stamp 3 times to try and get from 3rd to 2nd on the entry to a corner and nearly missed the entire corner in the process.

Seems to be fairly intermittent, not every downshift refuses to work, but happens on every ride at least once. Upshifts seem ok and the clutch is disengaging plenty as it seems to have no problem a lot of the time.
I do sometimes find that it just either clicks through as if it has shifted but hasn't (usually 6th to 5th or 5th to 4th) or has a horrifyingly clunky/hard to press lever and still won't shift, usually 3rd to 2nd.

Looking it up and after adjusting the clutch, it does seem to suggest that it's the gear selector shaft. Apparently they are prone to bending on these, though I'm not ruling anything else out at this point, though possibly not a worn clutch not disengaging.

What I'm really after is someone who can properly delve into it and work out what's going on and fix it, though I'm finding a lot of people don't want to touch gearbox issues, which, honestly I get it.
I don't have the time, patience, confidence or tools to do it on a bike that I need to be daily ride reliable.

Anyone got any suggestions for good workshops, preferably in the East Mids (Leics/Notts) area?
I could do with getting this fixed before the gearbox lunches itself entirely.

At this rate, it may have to be. Ringing around the workshops and so far everyone is stuffed up to the eyeballs in people getting their bikes MOT'd and serviced for the summer.

One place, earliest is June, next place "it wouldn't be until Autumn/Winter"

• Sad 1

Fortunately I have found a very very helpful post on one of the GS forums from a brilliant Japanese person who had almost exactly the same issue and has shown what needs to be done and what needs to be ordered. I even have a part number.
https://www.f800riders.org/threads/down-shifting-problem-solved.316495/
Now, do I dare book time off and do this myself? (for reference, I am not shit at spannering, just rusty, ADHD'd up to the eyeballs and have next to zero time)
I may talk to Pidcocks BMW tomorrow and see if they can at least order the part quicker than I can find one on the internet, I'd rather have a genuine BMW part than a pattern one at this point.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jaybewan said:

Fortunately I have found a very very helpful post on one of the GS forums from a brilliant Japanese person who had almost exactly the same issue and has shown what needs to be done and what needs to be ordered. I even have a part number.
Now, do I dare book time off and do this myself? (for reference, I am not shit at spannering, just rusty, ADHD'd up to the eyeballs and have next to zero time)
I may talk to Pidcocks BMW tomorrow and see if they can at least order the part quicker than I can find one on the internet, I'd rather have a genuine BMW part than a pattern one at this point.

That looks to be a fairly simple resolution - get on it :)  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jaybewan said:

Get the BMW garage to fit it for you. Yes you will pay through the nose but they should know what they are doing.

• Like 1

Just now, marvin said:

Get the BMW garage to fit it for you. Yes you will pay through the nose but they should know what they are doing.

Aye, that's the other thing I'll be asking Pidcocks tomorrow. I don't mind paying through the nose, even for something seemingly simple like this. They have access to the parts catalogue and have likely done this 100s of times already.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Gobert said:

It's great that the engine doesn't need splitting.:thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly. Just the clutch cover coming off. Lets just hope it is only that 🤞

Edited by Jaybewan
  • Like 2

Booked in at Pidcocks Notts for the 9th May. Not exactly instant response but way better than most places and at least I know they'll have a direct line for any parts it needs. I do wish they'd do a courtesy bike too but maybe I'll just ask about this 1300GS competition they have on at the moment (test ride one, win one) :eusa_think:

On 4/16/2024 at 5:23 PM, Jaybewan said:

The video on that link is very good.  Even in americanese.

On 4/19/2024 at 9:16 AM, Jaybewan said:

Booked in at Pidcocks Notts for the 9th May. Not exactly instant response but way better than most places and at least I know they'll have a direct line for any parts it needs. I do wish they'd do a courtesy bike too but maybe I'll just ask about this 1300GS competition they have on at the moment (test ride one, win one) :eusa_think:

Did they quote you for the job?

5 minutes ago, Tomfoolery said:

Did they quote you for the job?

The receptionist didn't give me a quote as they didn't quite know what I was talking about it seemed.
I do feel a bit daft for not pressing them on it but I guess they need to confirm what it is that is to be fixed specifically as they're not necessarily going to go on what I give them without a visual inspection.

2 minutes ago, Jaybewan said:

The receptionist didn't give me a quote as they didn't quite know what I was talking about it seemed.
I do feel a bit daft for not pressing them on it but I guess they need to confirm what it is that is to be fixed specifically as they're not necessarily going to go on what I give them without a visual inspection.

No fair enough, but this is the problem with the dealerships following the car model of front of house staff having no insight and technical knowledge. This job will be logged somewhere in the BMW system with a corresponding technician time which they can modify with experience and quote to the customer. Untrained receptionists can't do this :(

• Like 2