How to... Remove this bolt from a spinning Rivnut

Mills94

Hi all, 

So after trying to fit my optimate lead on my new to me multi950 I've realised someone has kindly left me with a spinning bolt of which I can't remove from the battery retention strap. And when I say someone, I mean the bike shop I got it from. Unfortunately the rivnut is inaccessible from underneath or the backside, I've tried the usual pry under the head of the bolt but that's not budging and I've even borrowed a set of 'C' clamps from work to pinch the plastic into the rivnut but that hasn't worked.  The reason I know it's the bike shop is because I've had a brand new battery fitted the day I received it. So they either knew about it and didn't fix it, or some ham fisted fuckface has overtightened the bolt which is more than likely and now I cant remove the bolt. I'm awaiting a response from them as I've not had the best experience with them from the start to be honest but I can see myself having to drill the bolt out which I'd like to avoid if possible. If anyone's got any tips I'm all ears as to what I can try.

IMG20240304184748

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Mills94 said:

Hi all, 

So after trying to fit my optimate lead on my new to me multi950 I've realised someone has kindly left me with a spinning bolt of which I can't remove from the battery retention strap. And when I say someone, I mean the bike shop I got it from. Unfortunately the rivnut is inaccessible from underneath or the backside, I've tried the usual pry under the head of the bolt but that's not budging and I've even borrowed a set of 'C' clamps from work to pinch the plastic into the rivnut but that hasn't worked.  The reason I know it's the bike shop is because I've had a brand new battery fitted the day I received it. So they either knew about it and didn't fix it, or some ham fisted fuckface has overtightened the bolt which is more than likely and now I cant remove the bolt. I'm awaiting a response from them as I've not had the best experience with them from the start to be honest but I can see myself having to drill the bolt out which I'd like to avoid if possible. If anyone's got any tips I'm all ears as to what I can try.

IMG20240304184748

Assume you can’t get a thin bladed screwdriver under the strap up against the edge of the rivnut to get some purchase on it?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fastfreddybikes2 said:

Assume you can’t get a thin bladed screwdriver under the strap up against the edge of the rivnut to get some purchase on it?

This.
or something under the strap, between the subframe and the strap to tension it, so the head will undo.

Or a junior hacksaw blade between the two and try to cut just the bolt.

The hex head  allen screw there?  Try using a pair of long nose vise grips and pull UP as you turn to loosen.  Or conventional vise grips if they'll fit.

Edited by Johnno

25 minutes ago, fastfreddybikes2 said:

I have tried a thin bladed screwdriver under the head of the bolt but it's tight, will try and get under the strap tomorrow and see if there's any give

7 minutes ago, jollygiant said:

This.
or something under the strap, between the subframe and the strap to tension it, so the head will undo.

Or a junior hacksaw blade between the two and try to cut just the bolt.

Not a bad shout to be honest. I may just try and still the bolt worst case so can guarantee I'll end up sawing the plastic and if I do that I'll be even more annoyed. Would be my luck. I'll definitely try And get under the strap again.

3 minutes ago, Johnno said:

The hex head  allen screw there?  Try using a pair of long nose vise grips and pull UP as you turn to loosen.  Or conventional vise grips if they'll fit.

Yes mate that silver Allen head, I'll bring a pair of long nose grips tomorrow cheers mate, not thought of that, maybe combined with the screwdriver I may have some joy