exhaust theory question

riversbikes

99365770391192203.jpg.jpx

Interested in people's thoughts on this... some proper testing done by Brad Black has shown the benefits of the stock Ducati SS header system == the stamped crossover piece works well and really hasn't been bettered by other designs except for a spaghetti system. I was trolling on TGA's website and found this:
"Designed in house to optimise performance and give maximum ground clearance. One separate pipe for each cylinder which we have found gives the best power output, along with making carburation set up easier to check."
I know some harleys have separate pipes, vs. a 2-1 or a 2-2. Interested in hearing others' thoughts on this... mainly because I'm now regretting the 35mm titanium 2-1 exhaust on my 600ss project!

If both sets of headers, mid section and silencers were identical, ie for a parallel twin, then that would be pretty easy to set up and optimise power & efficiency. 

On an L twin or V twin there would be a fucketonne od calculations to work out the best set up for twin pipes. Hence balance pipes etc to get the pulses complimenting each other so each cylinder is in harmony with the other...

Wouldn't worry too much about it. There's loads of factors going on. Maybe the other system gives a couple of bhp more. And weighs twice as much as your Ti system.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TLRS said:

Wouldn't worry too much about it. There's loads of factors going on. Maybe the other system gives a couple of bhp more. And weighs twice as much as your Ti system.

Yup, I was gonna say the same.

The face ‘twin pipe’ might make a little more power, but where (in the rev range) and how (on that tarmac)?

It might give a few more ‘mph’, but if it’s going to take longer to get there (power/weight), then it’s just academic 🤔

51 minutes ago, theo said:

What exhaust layouts did the WSBK Panigale 1199R's use?

It certainly wasnt separate pipes.

Didn't they have the exhaust under the bottom of the bike? I think the pipe bends came out just under the seat then went back down to the bottom.

As I recall it was only the PBM Ducati's that had them exiting out under seat. Some nifty looking Temignonis, then there were the two short round Akrapovic things similar to the V4 now.

Edited by Calimero

A cross over pipe correctly designed will give you a shit load of power in the mid to top end.  A well designed 2-1 would be the same as long as the silencer id efficient enough, and lighter.

To separate pipes for each cylinder seems to be the worst of both worlds.

On mine front and rear pipes fit into a  Y shaped connector that bolts onto the silencer. 

Took mine off and had to retap all three bolt holes as it was seized.

Removed the flapper valve in the exhaust while I was at it.

Not impressed eith Ducatid pipe rolling skills to be fair.

20230313_124306 20230326_173239

Check out the flange... ^^ 😀 

20230402_144516

Edited by Gixxerthou

• 1 month later...

Theres a big difference between max power & area under the curve. Gimme max area for max time at best rpm spread any day. Same for torque.  
Who rides a bike flat out everywhere all the time ? Well unless its a 50-125cc

• 3 weeks later...

I guess if you really wanted performance you'd have a 2 to 1 system, saving weight. 

But it's a 600SS performance is relative