Gearbox oil loss .

DougW

I think my KTM250EXC is loosing a little gearbox oil , It has just taken around 100ml or so to reach the level plug , only having been run for about 30 minutes doing hill climb’s since it was changed and set to the level plug. It’s not noticeably smoking a lot more than usual, or leaking obviously from the gearbox sprocket seal . Sprocket seal has been replaced previously as it did have an obvious leak.

Around 250 hours on it from new , can crank oil seals start passing a little oil before failing completely  ?

Edited by DougW

Kinda makes sense it's either burning it, leaking it or a inaccurate measurement?

Though not sure how that oil would burn. As it's not mixed with fuel and air in the carb, but potentially leaking/sitting in the crankcase a bit? Just thinking aloud here..

• Like 1

Weird. If it was burning it wouldn't there be crank seal evidence like a higher Idle. But then wouldn't the gear oil smell like petrol or that combustion pong?

I know the countershaft on the Beta as well as the KTM are similar in that can be a right bastard to get right.  Mine still leaks the tiniest little bit despite 2 replacements but I change the gearbox oil every 3 or 4 major rides as it's quite technical where I go and the clutch cops it.  Now I have a Rekluse It'd definitely be every 3 max although I've never seen any real bad discoloring, much at all really.  

Monitor it,  it could have just been some kind of fuck up.

• Like 1

Rode it on Sunday, after the first 15 minute supermoto track session there was a couple of drips from the sprocket area, but the chain was oiled (EP80) immediately before it was ridden.

Nothing after the next 5 sessions.

Ran fine , steady usual idle, no pong , just slightly out dragged by 450`s so seems healthy.

I`ll clean it up and put a new gearbox seal in it.

• Like 2

Bought this proper seal removal tool,  this long tube with a hook thing,  saw it the other day shufling cabinet drawers in and out cause I'm too lazy to label them.

This might sound stupid but at home I never leave  my 300 on the side stand, there'll be a puddle. Now a life time around machinery will tell you a pint looks like a gallon tipped on the ground. It's probably a tea spoon full if left there for weeks.

I put my bike on a stand and hey, it doesn't lose a drop. I have the mechanical lever stand for washing and for taking in the van and a hydraulic pump up one that will lift really high, it lives on that in the shed and  if nothing else I can shove it over closer to the wall for more space cause its on wheels.  It has  these hook things that go through the foot pegs for stability.

Is it possible its only happened under load, a go pro facing backwards would be handy to check for excessive smoke. 

• Like 1

I bet it's the countershaft,  not with actual money I wouldn't be surprised.   Like I said mine left on the stand will piss a bit out but on a ride I've never seen a huge amount come out just enough to nicely lube the chain :)  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Its showed it`s hand. Left a plastic tool box under it,  small spot of gearbox oil on the tool box lid.

On 2/29/2024 at 10:10 PM, Johnno said:

I bet it's the countershaft,  not with actual money I wouldn't be surprised.   Like I said mine left on the stand will piss a bit out but on a ride I've never seen a huge amount come out just enough to nicely lube the chain :)  

new OEM KTM seal bought.

Edited by DougW